PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics, low turbo boost pressure?

Karmalite
23-06-2010, 13:13
Hi,

My Mk II Ford Focus TDCI started playing up a couple of days ago. Down on power, grumbling along and then a message "Engine Systems Failure". Which caused a certain amount of clenching.

Anyway; got the RAC out and they found the error code P0299 which is Low Turbo Boost Pressure- and fits right in with the symptoms - any way the vac pipe was a bit loose so he put that back on properly cleared the code and then went for a drive. No more problem and no code... except this morning it still wasn't right, down on power and sounding a lot more diesely than it normally does.

A quick trawl on t'internet found

[url]http://www.automotivetroubleshootingsecrets.com/P0299%20OBD2%20fault%20codes-9.htm[url]

This code pertains to the turbo housing resonator which makes the turbo quiet. Normally, the part is broken into to 2 parts which are glued together. This is the source of the problem, the glue usually fails and this affects the turbo pressure which is usually needed in going uphill. The part can be bought from the dealer or check your after market supplier of this turbo model. On some European cars, this P0299 fault code can also mean that the waste gate solenoid actuator is defective. As such, it could cause turbo inactivity causing the engine to loose power. To check, test the wirings of the turbo waste gate solenoid and the vacuum supply to the actuator. If OK, the most common fix is to replace the waste gate solenoid.

Has anyone had any experience of fixing this and what sort of £notes we are talking about. Just forked out this morning for my insurance and feeling a little bit :( in the pocket.

Cheers

Tenchin
23-06-2010, 13:57
If re-making the hose connection yesterday made a difference I would be inclined to replace all of the turbo hoses firstly as this is the cheapest option available to you and should be relatively easy to do.

Just a word of caution, replace said hoses one at a time that way you don't run the risk of getting them mixed up.

Karmalite
23-06-2010, 14:24
If re-making the hose connection yesterday made a difference I would be inclined to replace all of the turbo hoses firstly as this is the cheapest option available to you and should be relatively easy to do.

Just a word of caution, replace said hoses one at a time that way you don't run the risk of getting them mixed up.

Cheers, i'll take a look and see if anything else has come loose.

When the turbo spools up there's been a slightly more pronounced whistling as well i am thinking the waste gate might have got stuck partially open and so it's not getting up pressure. Looks like a trip to the garage :cry:

yub
23-06-2010, 19:26
Not sure about focus,s but on the mondeo,s the hoses coming off the intercooler weaken and suck in restricting air flow, they also quite often split.

apples
23-06-2010, 23:23
GET A BIG DUMP VALVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will fix your problem and give you at least an extra 100bhp.

SORTED.

Mr_Bump
24-06-2010, 00:44
Cheers, i'll take a look and see if anything else has come loose.

When the turbo spools up there's been a slightly more pronounced whistling as well i am thinking the waste gate might have got stuck partially open and so it's not getting up pressure. Looks like a trip to the garage :cry:
Wastegates direct exhaust gases via the actuator, if its stuck open you will get no boost and probably wont hear an increased whine as there will actually be less spinning of the turbo as all the gasses will just do one down the exhaust.

Got a foot pump? Attach it to the feed pipe on the actuator and see what pressure she opens at, will help rule out a weak actuator.

Id check your exhaust ;)

An increase in back pressure will restrict gas flow from the turbo, increase pressure on the engine/valves, reduce performance and as such will drop the exhaust gases which inturn are used to make boost pressure via the turbo.

Karmalite
24-06-2010, 09:08
Ok, on the way home last night and it got a lot worse. This time i found a large split in the very last section of the intercooler pipe. I suspect - or hope - that it was a small split at first and almost unnoticable.
Anyway, patched it up and it cured the problem until the patch split!
So off to find a new one.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Ps

Apples; if only. I could double the bhp then :lol: