PDA

View Full Version : Like an SLR, only SMLR

guybaxendale
16-06-2010, 13:20
Calling all Camera boffins

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/LUMIX+Digital+Cameras/G+Micro+System/DMC-G1/Overview/1564800/index.html

Any views on this?
Pro's Cons etc

Blonde_Tim
16-06-2010, 13:51
used a mates this morning for him. certainly for a first time user, i found it very easy to use, and the results were excellent. looks a brilliant bit of kit, and he seemed very impressed with it. said that the self timer options werent brilliant for self takes in his opinion.

Tim.

PS, excellent title :D

guybaxendale
16-06-2010, 14:03
PS, excellent title :D

Thanks Tim - all greek to me the technical mumbo jumbo!

I have a Canon S5IS currently which I do like - It makes self takes very easy.
The picture quality is not always as good as I would like though especially in certain lights (probably user error) and I saw an advert for this.

From what I can see the G1 only has a 10 second - 3 images maximum on the self timer so def not as good as the S5 in that regard

upperoilcan
16-06-2010, 14:54
To be fair Guy,i cant see a lot of difference between that and an DSLR,seems to have a lot of similar settings/functions to the point of even being able to change the lenses,,,,,just dont get the jist of it.

Personally if your going that far i would be tempted to go the whole hog and get an DSLR.......After all you can always use the Auto/Programme modes that you can on an ordinary point and shoot.

Les_Paul
16-06-2010, 18:44
Some pros , some cons, depends on budget and requirement. Not a replacement for a compact or indeed an SLR. It sits nicely in the middle alongside the super compacts.

Certainly better featured than a compact, and the ability to change lenses but not having the full benefits of a dedicated SLR system so this is a good choice for someone who wants more than a compact but not the size and power of DSLR.

What sets it apart is the Micro 4/3 standard. Exactly the same size sensor as found in Olympus DSLR which means IQ will be very good, quite possibly as good or in some cases better than the mainstream DSLRs except at the higher ISOs But even this is becoming marginal these days.

A bit of a niche market at the moment, and prices reflect this but I would still regard this as a quality piece of kit.

guybaxendale
17-06-2010, 16:46
Some pros , some cons, depends on budget and requirement. Not a replacement for a compact or indeed an SLR. It sits nicely in the middle alongside the super compacts.

Certainly better featured than a compact, and the ability to change lenses but not having the full benefits of a dedicated SLR system so this is a good choice for someone who wants more than a compact but not the size and power of DSLR.

What sets it apart is the Micro 4/3 standard. Exactly the same size sensor as found in Olympus DSLR which means IQ will be very good, quite possibly as good or in some cases better than the mainstream DSLRs except at the higher ISOs But even this is becoming marginal these days.

A bit of a niche market at the moment, and prices reflect this but I would still regard this as a quality piece of kit.

Thanks Paul - I understand at least some of what you wrote.
In terms of picture quality do you think it would be superior to a Canon S5 IS?

Mr_Bump
17-06-2010, 17:37

With the ability to swap glass and an almost definate increase in sensor size this will take better pics than the S5 for sure, in the right hands.

Les_Paul
17-06-2010, 17:52

In short yes. That does not take anything away from the Canons output which is also very good but the M4/3 uses a bigger sensor with comparable megapixel amounts. More real estate for the pixels mean cleaner images especially as you move up the ISO range. From the examples I have seen the raw and jpeg output using the standard lenses is very high, as I mentioned comparable to DSLR in all but more extreme settings, and if Panasonic and Olympus continue to release quality glass then expect even further improvements.

If image quality is most important to you without budget limitations and the choice is between the Canon or the Panasonic then the Panasonic is the way to go as this will deliver it. M4/3 also carries the same advantage as DSLR in as much as camera bodies come and go, so once you have a few lenses you will be in a position where you just upgrade the camera body and continue to use the lenses you have which gives your investment a much higher degree of future proofing.

pottsville
18-06-2010, 22:03
I have one, its a great bit of kit, brilliant quality pics, cant fault it