PDA

View Full Version : Canon S5is Users

Flipper_al
16-06-2010, 08:01
Anyone else having issues with battery life

Tuttifrutti
16-06-2010, 08:06
Never Al... but thats not a camera issue, purely battery isnt it?

Flipper_al
16-06-2010, 08:15
I thought so at first, but after trying different types of battery(rechargeables as well) im now starting to think its the camera, if i dont use it for a week(leaving it turned off) when i come to use it there flat, i now leave the camera without the batterys in and it seems fine(not fine but at least there not flat)

Tuttifrutti
16-06-2010, 08:21
I suppose in that sense, you've found your answer in taking them out but i've never suffered like that since I bought better quality batteries. I admit that many years ago my batteries would be drained when I come to use them.

I now use Powerex 2700 - they are an expensive battery but i've been very very impressed with them. They seem to last for ages and when I leave the camera and go back to it weeks later, they seem spot on. I found them while checking out rechargable battery surveys when I was more heavily into photography and they were either rated 1st or 2nd on many surveys

Mr_Bump
16-06-2010, 08:23
Most cameras drain batteries over time, rechargables especially.

Just pop them out when its not in use or carry spares.

biglee15
16-06-2010, 08:26
I had a camera that did exactly the same Al, cant remember what model it was but went back 5 times and was still never fixed. If the batteries were left in they continued to drain the life even though was turned off.
I got a refund and got a different camera and dont have any problem now.
Take it back mate

Flipper_al
16-06-2010, 08:29
What i dont understand is how it can drain them......!!!

Now i know it needs to keep alive the date and time when turned off, and still remembers it with the batterys out, so does the camera have a small cmos/bios type battery in it, that might need replacing

Jim
16-06-2010, 08:32
It shouldn't do if the cameras turned of. I've got a panasonic and only charge the batteries up a couple of times each year and that includes using it regular.

If it's new, can you not take it back to the shop?

Have you done a search on the web to see if this is an inherant problem with that camera.

Flipper_al
16-06-2010, 08:38
About 2 years old, so out of warranty
I have had a good look round the web and cant find anything.....

Jim
16-06-2010, 08:42
It could be a CMOS issue as you have said. Have you tried leaving the batteries out for a long period and then seeing if the date and time resets. If it doesn't the only thing I can think it would be is a short somewhere.

biglee15
16-06-2010, 09:00
I've got a panasonic and only charge the batteries up a couple of times each year and that includes using it regular.

Its NOT your fishing camera then?? :lol:

I dont know why this happened to my camera when turned off but even in off position it drained the batteries as if it was left on all day and night. 2-3 days days batteries completely dead!?!?!?

Flipper_al
16-06-2010, 09:02
Just found the cmos battery(cr1220) so will replace it see if it makes any difference