PDA

View Full Version : Moulin de Bley Cat Lake

kenmundo
26-04-2010, 16:06
My brother uncle and I are off to the bley cat lake run by Carpruns in a couple of weeks.

Just wondered if any of you have been before and would like to share your experiences.

Can't bloody wait.

Ken

rich_dynamite
26-04-2010, 16:26
I haven't been before but we are off to the Moulin de bley main lake in Sept.

Are you aware of the forum for those lakes? They use carpaddicts, just scroll to the bottom and there is a carp runs section.

They moved cats out the carp lake into the cat lake shortly before xmas upto 150lb odd.

kenmundo
27-04-2010, 10:15
cheers rich, yeah have checked forum but no comments on the cat lake. Hope you have a good time out there.

rich_dynamite
27-04-2010, 11:36
They seem very helpful over there so I am sure they will show you right.

What rods are you using, is there a minimum 4lb test curve on there?

Please pm me on your return letting me know how you got on. If the cat lake isnt booked when we are there, I think we are allowed to have a go.

kenmundo
27-04-2010, 15:31
nah mate, gonna use my 3lb TC berkleys. I've had fish up to 43lb in this country and am prepared to hold onto them for a day if it means bringing up one of the leviathans. Will let you know how we get on. I'm a bit jealous too be honest - i booked the cat lake as my bro loves them. I'd prefer to be on the main.

rich_dynamite
28-04-2010, 12:35
Ken,

I have just had another read of the website and it says standard carp gear is not acceptable. Might be worth checking in advance that you are ok with 3lb tc rods.

kenmundo
28-04-2010, 16:09
Richy me old mucka, I've landed nurse sharks on bass spinning rods in florida. i reckon the old carp rods will be adequate for catfishing on a two acre pool. Life is far too short to be worry about being prescribed what kind of rod you have to take to a lake.

rich_dynamite
28-04-2010, 16:14
I know what your saying. Just didn't want you turning up and being a victim of fishery rules.

I am sure you will have a great time, let me know how you get on.

Rumbo
28-04-2010, 18:02
Uptide rods...perfic

kenmundo
28-04-2010, 22:49
gay

guybaxendale
29-04-2010, 10:06
Uptide rods...perfic

Or spod rods

Covboy
29-04-2010, 18:38
or catfish rods!

singy
30-04-2010, 09:54
Why do you want to play a fish to within an inch of it's life? get tooled up with some proper kit. 3lb TC rods are woefully inadequate for cats to 150lb.

240683smit
30-04-2010, 17:01
Why do you want to play a fish to within an inch of it's life? get tooled up with some proper kit. 3lb TC rods are woefully inadequate for cats to 150lb.

Is that not taking things a bit far "playing a fish within a inch of it's life". Every fish gets knackered after a battle with the angler.
So are you saying any anlger who happen's to catch big fish on light gear are wrong too, taking the fish to a inch of it's life????

singy
30-04-2010, 18:18
Much better to get the fish in, and back as quickly as possible. Playing a huge cat for 4-5 hours (as has happened) can't be good can it?

Accidental captures of large fish on light tackle can't be helped, but targeting them (for catch and release) deliberately on light tackle is not really on.

And 'within an inch of it's life' was used as a saying as opposed to being a statement of fact. Life isn't measured in inches.

Covboy
30-04-2010, 20:14
Spot on Singy.

240683smit
30-04-2010, 21:39
Take that on the chin Singy.
Don't believe that someone fishing a lake that is mainly cat but holds big carp needs to buy/rent gear for the weeks fishing. Surely as long as he is sensible and carefull with his fishing, is enough???

watto
30-04-2010, 22:28
Take that on the chin Singy.
Don't believe that someone fishing a lake that is mainly cat but holds big carp needs to buy/rent gear for the weeks fishing. Surely as long as he is sensible and carefull with his fishing, is enough???

What if it was your stock and you hard earned cash went into buying it. Rather than second guess every anglers capability implement a no go on any piece of tackle than is less than adequate for all.

Hearing from friends who are fishery owners in France it appears a large percentage of anglers that go across are complete tools, you have to protect your income somehow.

240683smit
30-04-2010, 22:37
Again I hear what you say, but people are putting everybody into that same class. If you have some know how about fish care and safety then surely the target fish will be fine?????

watto
30-04-2010, 22:44
Again I hear what you say, but people are putting everybody into that same class. If you have some know how about fish care and safety then surely the target fish will be fine?????

As a fishery owner who might be meeting their customer for the first time, other than taking someone on their word how do you know they have half a clue about fish care and safety. It Would be an expensive mistake to find out the customer talked a good game and has just damaged your stock. And of course there aren't many people in fishing who talk a good game are there?

Go with the required kit and have a good holiday. Simples

kenmundo
01-05-2010, 09:00
oh god lads, look what I started. I was only having a bit of banter with Rich on here. But let me respond.

Firstly - playing a fish sensibly IS NOT getting it in as quick as possible if that was the case we'd all be using uptide rods for all our fishing and skimming fish along the top towards the net. Lets get that clear from the off. so less with the dramatics please Singy.

For a 2 acre lake with the average size of cat in it between 50-90lb a 3lb TC rod is more than adequate. Coupled with the right set up including reel/line strength/leader and actual know how of fishing. I'm not saying that everyone should fish like it. But I'm definitely not going to turn around and say that we should all get tooled up for the eventuality that we hook the biggest fish in the lake we are fishing so that our set up is ludicrously too beefed for the majority of the fish we catch. The most amusing fact in all of this is that most catmen will use livebaits- so lets not all go crazy about how inhumane it is to not have a 5lb TC rod when you are putting another LIVE fish on a hook to entice a bigger fish to eat it. The contradictions that some of you fail to see within our sport amuse me indefinitely.

Anyway - lets stop having an episode of Eastenders on here. The original question was has anyone fished it - not has anyone got a soapbox they'd like to get out again on 'fish care'.

colscat
01-05-2010, 15:54
i have fished it on a couple of nights, when out there on the carp lake. it often has a couple of bits of weed but nothing too much to worry about. livebaits seem the best way to go or large lumps of german sausage my pb from there is 74lbs and it was along lean fish

carp junkie
07-05-2010, 21:19
the cat lake hasnt had a lot of pressure mostly because its ony 50 yards away from the carp lake,the cats that were moved were estimated at around 120lb max there were 6 of them moved i think with 4 being over 100lb although there were many more already in there
niroux which is the other carp lake has some very large cats and is a much larger lake which may possibly be the best cat lake in france unfortunately lol as i only want to target the carp but thats life

kenmundo
14-05-2010, 10:38
Well, the rods are ready. The van is loaded. The bait is stinking out my garage. It's off t France we go. Will update when I get back. Wish us luck

colscat
14-05-2010, 17:29
hope you do well, look forward to hearing the tales of monsters!!

kenmundo
22-05-2010, 16:34
What a week!

We had 3 x 80s, 3 x 70s, 9 x 60s, 2 x 50s, 5 x 40s, 2 x 20s. Lake was beautiful and Tony is a gentleman! Can't recommend the place highly enough. Small deadbaits were the successful method for us. Fished on the bottom. Had a couple on worm and snowman boilies too.

Also had 9 carp to 40lb which ain't bad for a cat lake!!

Ken

240683smit
22-05-2010, 17:18
Sounds like a blinding week there mate. Any pic's to follow??
Good work on the carp too.

colscat
24-05-2010, 17:16
did the fish come from all over the lake or were there some areas better than others? did you try live baits? and did you pop up the dead baits? sorry for so many questions, but im hopefuuly going to try my luck at the end of august if there isnt anyone fishing the cat lake as im booked on the carp lake and normally have a night or 2 on the cat lake

kenmundo
24-05-2010, 21:52
mainly from the right hand square, i cut a swim out that makes it easier to fish s have a look for it.

Far margin on main part of lake did a few too.

Dead baits n the bottom - weather was a bit cold t be fair. tried a live bait for one night but no joy. Let me know how you get on.

colscat
21-06-2010, 06:59
were you dead baits brought from the shop in the village?