PDA

View Full Version : Lost photos :o(

Richk
11-04-2010, 15:07
I was wondering if anyone had any experience of the data retrieval programs and how they worked, how good they are.

I caught my 1st fish from my new syndicate yesterday and it may well be a very long wait until my next so I'm gutted to have lost the photos!!

Basically, they were all there saved on the SD card viewable on the camera (Lumix G1) but once the card was taken out and put in my usb card reader they somehow got corrupted or whatever and they have disappeared :(

Tried putting the card back in the camera but they're just not there anymore. There must have been 1GBs of photos on there :(

I'm pretty sure they've gone for ever as the card info now shows all but 320ks used and they haven't been transferred to my MacBook to my knowledge.........

Any chance they're retrievable?

Jim
11-04-2010, 15:22
Check to see if the pictures was saved to the camera memory, it might be a s simple as that. If so you will need to plug the usb lead in to retrieve the images.

Richk
11-04-2010, 15:34
Check to see if the pictures was saved to the camera memory, it might be a s simple as that. If so you will need to plug the usb lead in to retrieve the images.

Jim, they were deffo on the card initially as i could see the file sizes etc but couldn't open them. There were half a dozen viewable pictures from a few days previously at home but even these are gone :(

I need to work out a: if I can get them back, and probably the harder b, why it went wrong. The new syndicate could through me a fish of my dreams if i get it right and having the photos taken away like this would be a hard one to take......... :(

Lee S
11-04-2010, 17:40
There are a few free recovery software things about you can try. Unless you have actually formatted the card chances are they are still on there.

what happens when you click "delete" on your camera is that a hidden text file gets blanked, this is the link so to speak to the actual photo. Once the text file link is deleted you'll no longer see the photo.

try using something like www.recuva.com its free and made by the same people who make CC cleaner.

What was the brand of card? if bought from Ebay there are plenty of fake SD cards and other removable media for sale on there all the time.

Cards are cheap now, just buy from a reputable shop/company.

good luck!

Flipper_al
11-04-2010, 17:47
There's a good chance it can be recovered....pm me :)

30lbcarpplease
11-04-2010, 18:34
All the best Rich :(

Richk
11-04-2010, 19:04
All the best Rich :(

Cheers mate, I do have one of each side on me phone but it's just not the same. :(

Flipper_Al you have a PM :)

MartinJ
11-04-2010, 20:31
When files are deleted the data is not removed immediately, the space they take up just becomes available for use. Don't use the card until the files have been recovered and you should be OK

Richk
11-04-2010, 20:36
When files are deleted the data is not removed immediately, the space they take up just becomes available for use. Don't use the card until the files have been recovered and you should be OK

Fingers crossed it might be ok then, haven't used it since.......... :)

Richk
11-04-2010, 22:10
Lee_S you are great.....

Downloaded that software on my old HP laptop running windows and its recovered everything (including some I'd forgotten about)

Makes me wonder if the switch to a Mac was a good idea!

Thanks for everyones help :)

Richk
11-04-2010, 22:11
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p97/richkingstone/Westbourne%20House/000072.jpg

Hopefully his granny will come along soon :)

Humbers
12-04-2010, 07:52
Well done mate, glad you got them back.

Seems the background is more in focus than yourself / fish?

Richk
12-04-2010, 07:59
Seems the background is more in focus than yourself / fish?

Ha, yeah slightly annoying, dodgy self takes!

Might have helped if I'd of switched it to auto as I'd beeen playing with the Aperture priority mode settings prior to capture........ doh

Humbers
12-04-2010, 08:02
Ha, yeah slightly annoying, dodgy self takes!

Might have helped if I'd of switched it to auto as I'd beeen playing with the Aperture priority mode settings prior to capture........ doh

Was it using the timer? Seems that when you initiate the timer it focusses on what is in view, which in this case was the bank behind you. I now have a remote but in situations like yours I use to do the photo in front of say a bush immediately behind me then you had a closer focussing point.

Well done on the capture anyway, nice fish.

Lee S
12-04-2010, 09:04
No probs Rich, a slightly out of focus pic is better than no pic at all eh! :)

Bulb release for self takes is the only way to go matey ;)

Hippy
12-04-2010, 09:34
I put the camera on autofocus, point at the mat and focus, then click back to manual focus and leave it as is, always in focus then!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs432.snc3/24907_395288075632_559190632_4175894_5467430_n.jpg

Danlux
12-04-2010, 13:04
I put the camera on autofocus, point at the mat and focus, then click back to manual focus and leave it as is, always in focus then!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs432.snc3/24907_395288075632_559190632_4175894_5467430_n.jpg

All I can see is a Fish and Timothy Claypoles head :confused:

Cyprinius
12-04-2010, 13:39
With respect mate, I find it difficult to understand why you're taking your card out of the camera and plugging it into a card reader to download pictures onto an AppleMac.

Every digital camera I've owned (I've currently got a Lumix compact) has a USB connector port that you simply plug a lead into , then connect to a USB port on your Mac. iPhoto then automatically recognises your camera and asks if you want to download.

I'm no expert, but I'd think that putting any 3rd party hardware between your camera and computer is completely unneccessary.

Richk
12-04-2010, 19:51
Bulb release for self takes is the only way to go matey ;)

Silly thing is I have a bulb release system but I'm not quite used to it yet so I thought I fire off a few on the timer instead :)

I've not had the focus issue like this before but I think it may have been the empty background or maybe it was due to it being set to take 3 shots in a burst. I'm gonna have a better look at some of the others, fingers crossed there's a better one in them :)