PDA

View Full Version : Looks Or Weight?

TonyWicks
13-02-2010, 22:10
Whats more important to you, a stunner or a biggie?

Read a thread a few weeks back where someone said they don't carry scales as the weight of there captures means nothing to them. Majority of the time you can tell if its a double, twenty etc but could you put it back without knowing its true weight?

Goose777
13-02-2010, 22:15
Only reason I have weighed fish recently is the bailif likes you to do it for there records and I have in the past put fish back without using the scales. Would rather catch a stunner than biggy every time as well and it would have to be on the right balanced tackle as well, a stunning upper double on fly gear or a certain scaper thirty from the river on my barbel rod and pin would be a memorable fish.

stubill
13-02-2010, 22:16
Yep, I very rarely photograph or weigh fish, if it was a possible new PB then yes I would. Otherwise the fact I have caught them is enough for me. I allways have a camera and scales, just in case!

Chris85
13-02-2010, 22:18
I always weigh my fish but i think looks are more important.
The old warriors with history behind them is what gets me going more than anything

plumber dan
13-02-2010, 22:24
i only go fishing for that split second that the alarm goes off

but i always take a camera and scales:confused:

Strider
13-02-2010, 22:28
I like to weigh my fish as its a good reference point, as a complete carp anorak I like to know every little detail about the fish I'm angling for, weight is not the be all and end all to me, neither are the stunning looks, given the choice though I would have a stunning whacker everytime, I doubt very much I would ever target a fish on weight alone, but my main consideration in targeting a fish is that it hasn't been caught by all and sundry. :thumbs:

tinker
13-02-2010, 22:30
both

Chris85
13-02-2010, 22:42
both

Both isnt an option

stubill
13-02-2010, 22:44
To add to my post above, looks every time.

Strider
13-02-2010, 22:52
What is a stunner? what is a biggie? If I fished Horseshoe all the time I would be bored witless of scaley carp, If I fished the carpark lake I'd be dissapointed with an upper 30, :thumbs:

LIP
13-02-2010, 23:28
What is a stunner? what is a biggie? If I fished Horseshoe all the time I would be bored witless of scaley carp, If I fished the carpark lake I'd be dissapointed with an upper 30, :thumbs:

And if you fished Pavyotts you,d be a ? good answer though strider...

TonyWicks
13-02-2010, 23:30
What is a stunner? what is a biggie?

Exactly, who decides!

Who decided weight should be important, why not length?

wizardo
14-02-2010, 00:45
Whats more important to you, a stunner or a biggie?

Read a thread a few weeks back where someone said they don't carry scales as the weight of there captures means nothing to them. Majority of the time you can tell if its a double, twenty etc but could you put it back without knowing its true weight?

I agree with PlumberDan, it's the take that's all important. It's nice to see what's on the end of the line. But as for unhooking, weighing and photographing, it does nothing for me. If it was an exceptional capture then that would be different, but for run of the mill fish, even if a good one, then I don't see much point. But fishing is a very personal sport and we all want different things. For example, surroundings are important to me. I would rather catch smaller fish from a picturesque setting than bigger fish from a concrete bowl. Nice if you could combine decent sized fish from a pretty location.

carperoy
14-02-2010, 02:08
looks for me everytime.

cal35
14-02-2010, 08:47
i think its a bit of everything for me, the alarm going off, the fight and if its a stunner or a biggie on the end i will obligingly hold it up for photo and might even weigh it!

trackday
14-02-2010, 10:15
weight dont mean much to me really.i dont often bother with scales or cameras.i just love me fishing and thats good enough for me.there was a time when i carried all the gear but i got caught up with catching biggies and it spoiled it for me.i often give up on carp if the conditions aint right and go down the shops for worms and maggies.just keeps my fishing alive.
i accept though that theres no right or wrong with this but i believe in fishing on my terms my own way.

jm85
14-02-2010, 12:15
looks for me but if there bigger all the better :thumbs:

carpingmad
14-02-2010, 12:22
[QUOTE=why not length?[/QUOTE]

no no no my freind length is not important. :wave:

wasza10
14-02-2010, 12:34
For me it's more the looks but I weigh every fish all the same.

Also a variety of 'lookers' is important, to be able to catch some heavily plated mirrors as well as stunning commons etc would be ideal. Every catch means something though, when it doesn't that's when there's a problem.

Strider
14-02-2010, 13:05
All you stunner hunters answer me this, You arrive over a new water youv'e just managed to get a ticket for, your gears in the motor and as there appears to be no one else fishing you decide on a good look round, youv'e done your homework and found out a bit about the stock amongst which there are a couple of nice fully's around the mid 20 mark, the lake holds a good number of 30's with one fish going 40, single scale, last out at 42lbs.

On your walk round it comes as no surprise to only find fish in two swims, the two corner swims opposite each other furthest away from the carpark, in pads corner you spot the two fully's sitting in amongst the pads and yes, youv'e guessed it, in snag corner milling around is 'single scale' both swims are equidistant from the carpark, what one are you going to set up in.

I'll answer the question for you.
5% will set up in the carpark swim
the rest of you will set up in the snags
:D

junglist2
14-02-2010, 13:09
Good post strider

We all go fishing for specimen size carp, so weight is the probably the most important or we would be noddy bashing for little 2-3lb scaley carp in some match pool.

A big fish that is a looker is even better.

old git
14-02-2010, 13:16
All you stunner hunters answer me this, You arrive over a new water youv'e just managed to get a ticket for, your gears in the motor and as there appears to be no one else fishing you decide on a good look round, youv'e done your homework and found out a bit about the stock amongst which there are a couple of nice fully's around the mid 20 mark, the lake holds a good number of 30's with one fish going 40, single scale, last out at 42lbs.

On your walk round it comes as no surprise to only find fish in two swims, the two corner swims opposite each other furthest away from the carpark, in pads corner you spot the two fully's sitting in amongst the pads and yes, youv'e guessed it, in snag corner milling around is 'single scale' both swims are equidistant from the carpark, what one are you going to set up in.

Here's what I'd do Strider.
As the lake is empty I'd pick a swim where I could cast to both the snags and the pads therefore covering both options.;)
You forgot to factor that one in m8.

Strider
14-02-2010, 13:19
Here's what I'd do Strider.
As the lake is empty I'd pick a swim where I could cast to both the snags and the pads therefore covering both options.;)
You forgot to factor that one in m8.

As I said 5% will set up in the car park swim :D

trackday
14-02-2010, 13:31

trackday
14-02-2010, 13:31
i would probably watch them and see how they are behaving.i dont exactly ignore big fish.if the biggun was grubbing around looking for food and the other two were just sat there then the biggun would be the one i would fish for.
basically just fish for the most catchable looking one

old git
14-02-2010, 13:38
As I said 5% will set up in the car park swim :D

Not the carp park m8, I've got me boat with me:lol:

wates
14-02-2010, 18:55
I'd already be set up in the car park, and single scale is sulking in the snags for a reason.......................................

charlie808
14-02-2010, 20:09

good question mate , id go for the big un personally . the big uns seem to look better and more mystifying when swimming around in the water than they do on an unhooking mat. and more tempting to catch , dont get me wrong i love catching good looking fish but when your stalking a biggie close in its the thrill of the chase, it gives you a bigger buzz chasing a monster close in than a small one :thumbs:

*Animal*
14-02-2010, 20:23
my wife is fat and ugly but i dont mind her pulling on my rod

wanderindog
14-02-2010, 20:24

:lol: :thumbs:

nikfinn
14-02-2010, 21:56
Not just weight or looks, its shape, condition etc. Also ae said before large for that lake is satisfying.

LADDERS
14-02-2010, 22:31

The best post iv'e read all day!!! :clap:

That's what it's all about a good bit of fun & a good social who really cares about weights or what they look like?? unless of course your targeting certain fish from certain waters that is!!

I think the forum has been greatly revamped over the last 6 months or so since Strider & Old Git started getting really involved some fantastic shots of past captures, and some great stories to boot!! :notworthy:

May have to dig up a couple of my old ones that have not yet gone into print:)

Strider
14-02-2010, 22:53
Thanks for the appreciation LADDERS, just hoping to encourage more people to share those great memories or moments we've all experienced. Would love to share in some of your exploits mate :thumbs:
Come on peeps its not just about the best kettle is it :D

jayholmes
15-02-2010, 09:38

well said :thumbs: