PDA

View Full Version : River Ivel Carp

AnglingDays&Ways
10-02-2010, 21:09
Hi,
I'm planning on starting the new season fishing for carp on my local river Ivel in Biggleswade and was wondering if anyone can give me any pointers or hints and tips. I'm planning on pre-baiting from 3 days to a week before I cast a line with a mixture of particles and boilies or Vitalin dog food. Has anyone had any experience fishing the Ivel for carp and what sort of boilies and flavours work best?
Any help greatly appreciated.

obo
11-02-2010, 07:36
not fished that river mate but some tips. If there are any weirpools just checking them around mid april to start of may because they start to group to spawn and you will see what you have to go at and it can be a jaw dropping moment believe me, place i fish we had 70 fish turn up one day and that was the day i saw the biggest carp ive ever seen! If they start grouping they start doing there thing if you go just a little down stream and start baiting the margins it seems to keep them there. Baits, all i bait with is pellet and boilie and just to get anything visiting the spots i know a lot of people who fish the river they stick corn, vitalin, boilie, pellet and hemp (i hate hemp for river carp every time ive put it in they have spooked off it never to be seen again) and all they seem to catch is the singles and doubles i catch the 20's and 30's! So start with pellet and boilie but slowly reduce the pellet you put in so it sort of puts off the bream and the boilies keep the carp visiting! But id be baiting from mid april every day or at least 4 times a week and put in as much as you can afford. Some people say bright fruity baits (never ever had a sniff) but i use a good old red fishmeal food bait keeps um coming back. Pellet never done any good with halibuts so 4mm trout pellet all the way! Rigs, keep simple mine are size7 esp d-7 simple no knot hair rig (you dont need fancy rigs they most probs never even seen a rig), 12in 15lb supernova, leadclip, 3oz grippa minimum, 2ft green 25lb gardner plummet, dont worry about pinning you leadcore down i have my tips in the air tight lines (im convinced they think its just a reed stem or something) never seen a fish spook! Then when you come to fish all i do is a small mesh bag with the pellet and 1 half bait and 1 crushed bait THATS ALL!! Youve been baiting they are visiting you dont need a bed of bait! Last thing get some good butt grips because they go like stink mate enjoy!!!!!

Paul_the_Bailiff
11-02-2010, 07:59
Take some binoculars so you can watch the otters.

Bevan
12-02-2010, 15:43
last year i saw a lot of carp off the bridge at the hotel there was a little off cut to the right and they were held up in the out of the flow.

AnglingDays&Ways
12-02-2010, 20:04
Can't wait to get started. Already picked out a few likely looking spots and planning to walk along the river as many times as I can in the close season.

hugejarce
12-02-2010, 20:25
All good advice and the more you can pre-bait areas without drawing attention to what your doing the better.
You don't say how many areas your going at but if its just 1 then IMHO you need some back-ups just in case that area is being fished if you catch and you've been 'clocked' or if the fish have moved on and your catch rate slows down.I baited anything up to 12 swims 2 or 3 times a week early autumn in prep for the winter on a couple of stretches of the Nene and or the Ouse in the past and had some awsome short sessions but on a river like the Ivel with few Carpers and mostly Perch, Chub or Barbel anglers depending where you go, you could have a couple of, "out of way" areas and also fish 1 or 2 popular ones just to start off with to get in the swing then once the fish start to split up a bit, the out of the way areas could pay dividends if you keep baiting. One thing that has'nt been touched on yet is the crays,they are a pain sometimes so maybe a stiffer H/L material is needed in certain stretches so you don't get a mangled mess! and at certain times of the year you may need to 'bomb proof' your baits! but that's for you to find out!!.
One thing is if you live nearby it will be tempting to be lazy in your approach at times, particularly if the fish are'nt coming, but the thing about any river fishing is you must be persistant and you will eventually see a little pattern start to emerge and you'll get to know the areas for certain times of year and types of conditions and you will able to almost set your watch by the captures.
Keep an eye on the match reports from the club web sites and matches through the year and you can even trawl back and have a look to see if the areas produce and you can maybe notice the patterns ive mentioned above as they are all fantastic fish to catch so be mobile, be persistant and get out there as much as you can in the pre-season and do your homework.
The one sad thing about fishing this small river though particularly if your after speci sized fish and you really can't blame them is you may get no response on the sites or to some of your questions on the bank so a lot of the info you gleen will be hard worked for and TBH keep things close to your chest until you know who you can trust and those you can't, i hope very much you dont come up against some negativity but don't get p***ed off as if you get sucessfull you may feel the same.
I don' know the stock but you have some lakes that boundary the Ivel so at times when its flooded badly their could be 1 or 2 suprises but i dont think there is an especially large head to go at i don't know?? and would be gratefull if someone could put me right as i have enjoyed a little perching and chubbing over the last couple of years and would'nt mind a go at the Carp sometime in the future.
So good luck and get a 'NEW' pair of comfy walking boots.

rhornegold
12-02-2010, 20:40
ADW,

There are some deeper section of the Ivel that hold some decent Carp and some faster stretches.

Cemex section holds Carp and lots of Chub, with a few Very Big Barbel.

Check out the IPA sections in the summer ?

Bob

AnglingDays&Ways
12-02-2010, 20:50
I've seen pictures of 20lb+ carp from the Ivel. Wish I had fished for carp when I lived right close to the Nene but alas the lure of the chub drew me in which wasnt all bad as I had a 5lb+. Not a bad fish from the Nene by any accounts. I've only been living in Biggleswade for a couple of months and cant wait to get started. I know its going to be hard going but I'm all prepared to stick it out and know that I'm most likely to blank quite a few times before I get one.

obo
12-02-2010, 22:59
i fish the nene love it. On the chub trail at the mo been having a few gagging to beat my nene 6lb pb. Yeah forgot dont just bait 1 area get out walking but defo at the start and upto check the weirs mate!!

redimp
12-02-2010, 23:17
iv fished nene for carp for years and never needed to prebait although it works,the carp find there fav spots and seem to stick to them year on year it maybe the same on the ivel

chilli
13-02-2010, 00:35
tarka has destroyed the area ! 15+ barbel found dead the other day :mad:

AnglingDays&Ways
14-02-2010, 22:08
Some people say bright fruity baits (never ever had a sniff) but i use a good old red fishmeal food bait keeps um coming back.

I have all my boilies sorted for the summer. I took advantage of SBS baits buy one get one free offer and have 10kg of Eurostar Squid & Octopus fishmeal based boilies. In the winter I have a boilie recipe that Rod Hutchinson himself gave me a couple of months ago. Its an old recipe by todays standards but he said it was one of the best. Its a recipe I've been trying to get for some time from him and I know I'm going to have 100% confidence when using this particular base mix which to me is a very important factor when fishing for carp anywhere.

wizardo
14-02-2010, 22:41
tarka has destroyed the area ! 15+ barbel found dead the other day :mad:

That's absolutely gutting - I hope that otters are not going to become the pest that cromorants are. Rivers can't stand that sort of decimation.

hugejarce
15-02-2010, 11:34
Never fear their is an upside!!
I believe some of the otter's along the ouse in that area have got some sort of disease which may be caught from dogs and has wiped a few out? can anybody enlighten??
If it is true then i wonder if the tree huggers will want a dog cull!!

chilli
15-02-2010, 17:58
get a nice bull x lurcher on them , thats something of cures the ****ers. you can squeak em in like a fox as well.

angelheart
15-02-2010, 18:18
I fished the Ivel a few years back for Carp and never pre-baited or anything, I was new to fishing rivers for Carp and hadn't read / heard that pre-baiting was essential;)

I did about three or four nights over the summer and had at least one fish each visit - on the best 'night' I had four but TBH none came during darkness - all in the couple of hours between 1st light and sunrise.

I really hope the Otters haven't totally knacked it for those fishing the river nowadays.:(

obo
15-02-2010, 19:40
i never get them at night most come last 2hours of the day just into dark or 1st couple of hours of the day but had plenty just walking with one rod walking miles finding um and stalking um had 8 one day doing that topped by a 30lb 8oz mirror!

sally
15-02-2010, 19:54
Gents

Keep your ears to the ground. The EA are due to dredge/ de silt some areas. Not sure which stretches are affected but is due to start soon. Wise to check before any baiting starts

Mike

AnglingDays&Ways
15-02-2010, 20:17
Gents

Keep your ears to the ground. The EA are due to dredge/ de silt some areas. Not sure which stretches are affected but is due to start soon. Wise to check before any baiting starts

Mike

I know that some work was meant to be started on the downstream section from the mill in Biggleswade but I think that may have been something to do with the footpaths. Haven't been down to the river for a while so I don't know whats going on at the moment.

wanderer
27-02-2010, 06:07
Desilting was meant too have already started on the common at Biggleswade ,right up too end of season ,don,t know what affect,s this will have , not good i would,nt have thought -------ed it right up last time apparently i,ve been told.