PDA

View Full Version : Carp on fly gear

gingerbloke
10-02-2010, 20:13
Has anyone had a go for Carp on the surface using fly fishing gear? Bought myself a toothy critter pike fly rod and going to have a bash in the summer. Got a couple of lakes with enough space to get away with it and luckily they love a floater in both so looking forward to seeing what happens. Anyone know what the biggest fish to have been landed using fly gear?

TimNewman
10-02-2010, 20:17
Its great fun mate! i caught some of my first carp on the fly as i fly fished for a few years before i picked up carp fishing. A pike fly rod may take a bit of the fun out of it though! How big are the fish your after? Not to sure what the biggest carp on fly gear is:suspect:

gingerbloke
10-02-2010, 20:21
Not saying for one minute ill hook one, but there is possibility of 30 or even 40lb. The fish generally average 20 plus though so should be a laugh hooking one!

TimNewman
10-02-2010, 20:25
HAHA well a double rags you all over the place on fly gear so yeah that would be fun! its a really good way for catching some carp though because you can drop it on there noses without them spooking:thumbs:

gingerbloke
10-02-2010, 20:28
Yeah that will be an advantage in one as its like tap water. If i get lucky ill put the pics up in the summer.

carpmanjay
10-02-2010, 20:31
id so love to have a go at fly fishing for them, i had a few fly fishing casts at a country fair once and the tuition bloke suggested id be better off as a bull whipper, not sure what he meant by that!!!!

TimNewman
10-02-2010, 20:32
Good Luck!

Neil_D
10-02-2010, 20:48
A mate and I used to fly fish for the carp on the Yateley Match Lake before it was closed. Great fun catching fish up to about 10 lbs but also so frustrating like all surface fishing.

Islander
10-02-2010, 20:57
My advice would don't go too light if double figure carp are a possibilty. Gear sold for saltwater or pike fly fishing (8-10wt) is ideal. Any lighter than that and you risk having to play the fish until it's absolutely knackered...which isn't really fair, especially during the summer months when oxygen levels are generally lower. There's nothing macho about targetting carp on stupidly light gear, you'll often see boasting on fly forums of using 4wt's etc... Besides, even a 10wt fly rod is still a noodle of a stick compared to a light carp rod...and hence still plenty of fun.

TimNewman
10-02-2010, 21:09
My advice would don't go too light if double figure carp are a possibilty. Gear sold for saltwater or pike fly fishing (8-10wt) is ideal. Any lighter than that and you risk having to play the fish until it's absolutely knackered...which isn't really fair, especially during the summer months when oxygen levels are generally lower. There's nothing macho about targetting carp on stupidly light gear, you'll often see boasting on fly forums of using 4wt's etc... Besides, even a 10wt fly rod is still a noodle of a stick compared to a light carp rod...and hence still plenty of fun.

Completley agree, i didnt realies the size of fish you were after when i said your rod may take them fun out of it:bonk:

AnglingDays&Ways
10-02-2010, 21:18
Anyone remember an episode of Go Fishing when John Wilson was using floating dog biscuits at Homersfield for carp? Looked simply amazing and that certainly got the heart pumping a bit faster!

beadey
10-02-2010, 21:21
Hardly 'fly fishing' using a floppy stick with a floater bait.....called surface fishing...

TimNewman
10-02-2010, 21:22
A bit off topic i know but i just saw a well funny vid of him.
Check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nVbmND5g1o
:lol:

AnglingDays&Ways
10-02-2010, 21:25
Yeah I've seen that clip! And yes Beadey I know its not exactly "fly fishing" but it sure looked good fun.

binfield
10-02-2010, 21:26
Ive fished for pike on the fly. A 9wft is amust, 100 yds+ of backing is deffo needed, great fun better than the conventional way.:thumbs:

gingerbloke
10-02-2010, 21:36
Hardly 'fly fishing' using a floppy stick with a floater bait.....called surface fishing...

I never said fly fishing, that would imply using a fly! I said surface fishing using fly gear ;)

wizardo
10-02-2010, 22:40
Has anyone had a go for Carp on the surface using fly fishing gear? Bought myself a toothy critter pike fly rod and going to have a bash in the summer. Got a couple of lakes with enough space to get away with it and luckily they love a floater in both so looking forward to seeing what happens. Anyone know what the biggest fish to have been landed using fly gear?

Caught a few carp on fly while trout fishing. I was using a sinking line with a slow retrieve. How sinking line compares with a floater I don't know. I was using a 7 weight rod with 8lb leader. The fish I were catching were in the 5-7lb category. If you are thinking of carp in the teens you will really have to step up. Think what weight rod you would use for pike, pike don't go like carp and the average pike size is much smaller. I don't think fly fishing is a method I would consider for decent sized carp.

Paul_the_Bailiff
11-02-2010, 08:07
I never said fly fishing, that would imply using a fly! I said surface fishing using fly gear ;)

There are pellet flys. Tied to look like a floating trout pellet.

11-02-2010, 12:20
my mate uses a bit cut from a deer skin looks like a trout pellet hes had them up to 27llb dont no wot size rod or line he uses

Deanmyster
11-02-2010, 13:07
A decent 8-9Wt rod is ideal on a mid arbor reel for carp up to mid 20's.

I tend to use 8lb Drennan Sub-Surface green for my hooklength same as my standard floater set up coupled with a Rob Jents Daddie, this fly will catch all species at any time of the year including chub on the rivers.

You can use a standard mixer banded onto a size 10 Shrimp hook, just be mindfull of the line twist that occurs by using a bulky mixer as this will cause the bait to sit unaturally.

gingerbloke
11-02-2010, 18:18
Cheers for the advice. Taken it all on board for when it warms up (if it ever does!)

grandad
22-02-2010, 19:29
Bonio is a good fly to compliment feeding dog biscuits

Cyprinius
22-02-2010, 20:25
Fly fishing for carp is just about as much fun as you can have with your trousers on! Find yourself a well stocked commercial and chum 'em up onto the top - then fish with either a big bushy fly or a purpose tied 'pellet' fly. Not one for the fly fishing purists I know, but you'll have a ball.

As has been said before, a rod of about an 8 weight will suffice for carp up to low twenties as long as you don't have to do any major bullying. Most commercials tend to be reasonably snag free so you'll be able to enjoy the fight.... and boy do they go on fly gear! A reel with a good drag is also a must, 'cause they can take a bit of stopping. I've fly fished for trout for years and caught them into double figures, but can honestly say that no trout has ever taken me into the backing line..... Carp do it on a regular basis!

Learning to cast is part of the fun and satisfaction of fly fishing. If you've never done it before, I'd recommend a lesson or two with a good instructor, as it'll save you a whole lot of swearing on the bank. The satisfaction of dropping a fly gently, right by the side of a feeding carp and watching it turn and schloooop it in is unreal.

Get on the fly mate. I swear you'll be glad you did!

cal35
22-02-2010, 20:52
i took a fly rod to a local crazy carp water and was having a bionic common every chuck- got a bit boring in the end and my arm started to hurt! now tried it on a bit more of a difficult water and have had fish to about 12lb which was great fun!

i can remember a 35lb+ common being caught on a fly rod in anglers mail last summer, it may well have been the biggest ever!

gingerbloke
22-04-2010, 18:11
Well i got my first one off the top on the fly rod today. Much harder than i thought it would be but well worth it. What a scrap!
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb10/gingerbloke_2007/flycaughtcarp002.jpg

NateB
22-04-2010, 18:34
Well done mate, bet that put up one hell of a scrap on fly gear! ;)

Blonde_Tim
22-04-2010, 18:36
quality jon. nice work. :)

Archie
22-04-2010, 18:59
It was always a familliar sight over Boreham circa 1988 to see Ian Simmons sitting behind 3 Fly rods, various kinds, shapes and sizes he used a very balanced set up of 3 mitchell 1160 rd's and fished on the bottom. These would be 'luzzed' in a bush and wait for the sound of the clutch, he had the 'Vent' @ 37lb and countless others of the lake population. He took fish of the original stock from Weald to 34 off the top with them as well, he just liked using them, never one to conform, no idea where he is now, but would be good to see the rods pointing out of a random reed beds some day doing the rounds.

wizardo
22-04-2010, 20:50

As one of the guys said on this thread, you'll need a wide arbor reel and a load of backing. For surface fishing, you could try artificial bread (floating) with a fluoro leader. You might not be too popular when your carp careers through a few people's swims!