PDA

View Full Version : Flying backlead problems

DaveBarratt
10-02-2010, 10:24
I am having problems with flying backleads (I use the Korda clip-on ones in various sizes) flying back too far up the line on the cast. I've tried reversing them to make them more aerodynamic, with no real difference.

Other than tying a stop knot up the line, which bothers me in terms of potentially becoming a tether rig, or using a thicker mainline (which might or might not work at short range but will restrict distance) is there any other solution, or anybody using different flying backleads and not having this problem ?

Cheers, Dave

carpmanjay
10-02-2010, 10:26
pva knot??

Les
10-02-2010, 10:40
I use marker stuff, can't remember what it is called, i tie it on about a rod length up the line away from the terminal tackle, if need be the flying back lead can push over this stop knot with no problem, so as not to be a tether rig.

If need be where weed is hardly present in the swim i am fishing i also use a clip on flying back lead once i have cast out, so my line is pinned down at both ends, this works very well for me & i had carp to 35.10 at the end of last season using this method.

fingibob
10-02-2010, 11:27
pva knot??

like the man said !!

knightsey
10-02-2010, 11:30
Put another of the beads that come with them behind the backlead as well, this limited the amount it flies back.

Also be careful with thicker mono as I found that clipping them onto 15lb bullet could damage the line, and would part under pressure. I cut the slots wider so the line did not have to be clipped into the plastic bead part.

ranners25
10-02-2010, 11:39
Just out of interest how far back to you consider to be 'too far back'?

biglee15
10-02-2010, 11:47
PVA tape on the line

TomWaltonCarper
10-02-2010, 12:04
fox ones have worked well for me

DaveBarratt
10-02-2010, 13:09
Thanks for the replies chaps, very useful.

Ranners, to answer your question I appreciate it is difficult to quantify what is "too far back", but in extreme cases I've had the backlead settling only three or four rod lengths out in water far shallower than where my rig is, totally defeating the object !!!

ranners25
10-02-2010, 13:14
Thanks for the replies chaps, very useful.

Ranners, to answer your question I appreciate it is difficult to quantify what is "too far back", but in extreme cases I've had the backlead settling only three or four rod lengths out in water far shallower than where my rig is, totally defeating the object !!!

Have never experience that myself. Furthest seperation I have seen is maybe 20 yards short of the lead on a cast of 60 yards or so.....

jdgeary1
10-02-2010, 13:17
I had the same issues with the fox sliders, but reverted back to using the Korda ones and not had an issue again with them.

Les
10-02-2010, 16:52
I use the Fox sliders, i get on with them okay.

Zebady
10-02-2010, 18:12
I tie my backleads in place about 5 ft from my lead with PVA tape. You could tie a PVA stop knot if you want them to fly further back.

Riverside
10-02-2010, 18:43
The loss of 'feel' on the drop with a flying backlead is more significant to me than the advantages of having the mainline pinned down. To get the 'donk' or touchdown of the lead, and what I interpret what Im feeling the lead make contact with is massively important to my way of fishing... Having watched the way some people fish, feeling the lead down is not for everyone.

Best Wishes, JP

Strider
10-02-2010, 18:51
Horses for courses JP, sometimes I know where my lead is landing without the need for a donk, and sometimes the backlead can be a big advantage:thumbs:

SteveAllcott
10-02-2010, 19:04
Use a stone and bit of pva web to sink the line quick,nothing to snag when the bite comes..
steve....

Riverside
10-02-2010, 19:13
Strider, was being a little provocotive in order to flush out the 'clever bar stewards' on here...
and it worked, thanks for that gem Steve ;)
Ps I will definately know where my lead is in the spring, burried an inch below the lake with a long stick! :thumbs:

Laters. JP

Strider
10-02-2010, 19:21
Strider, was being a little provocotive in order to flush out the 'clever bar stewards' on here...
and it worked, thanks for that gem Steve ;)
Ps I will definately know where my lead is in the spring, burried an inch below the lake with a long stick! :thumbs:

Laters. JP

Ha Ha , if your traps in the spring work as well as they do on here, you'll be bagging up :D

Zebady
10-02-2010, 19:41
The loss of 'feel' on the drop with a flying backlead is more significant to me than the advantages of having the mainline pinned down. To get the 'donk' or touchdown of the lead, and what I interpret what Im feeling the lead make contact with is massively important to my way of fishing... Having watched the way some people fish, feeling the lead down is not for everyone.

Best Wishes, JP

They can some times hinder the "feel" but i've found that when casting / flicking short ranges, it's still easy to get a good drop and at longer ranges the heavier leads that i use can still be felt down well enough to ascertain what i think is worth getting a bite off. Horses for courses i suppose.:thumbs:

Riverside
11-02-2010, 00:09
Lol Strider, If Im lucky enough to bag up, pm + pic shall deffo be sent to you old kiddie, Im sure the trap will be sussed though and the rig deposited 6ft to the side, and all the freebies gone... just like last year! :brick:
Laters.

Bivvyrat2
11-02-2010, 19:30
I use 8 lb power gum .