PDA

View Full Version : Whitescale

Jamie
08-02-2010, 10:44
Heard yesterday the old girl is looking to be in very poor health and people are thinking she may not last any longer. Anyone else heard this - any updates?

Great fish that one... would be a real shame to see her go :dissapoint:

08-02-2010, 11:52
Yep Heard The Same.

She Was Still Hanging On Last Night But It Wasn't Looking Good.

carpmanjay
08-02-2010, 11:57
is that the silvermere fish??

08-02-2010, 12:00
Yes

Jimmy6bellies
08-02-2010, 12:06
Shallow lake, I suppose it's very tough on the fish when there is a harsh winter?

carpmanjay
08-02-2010, 12:26
nooo hope she hangs on in there, keep fighting, defo one on my to do list.

08-02-2010, 12:34
Just Spoke To A Baliff Up There And She Is Still With Us But Still Doesn't Look Good.

Smithy66
08-02-2010, 12:52
Just Spoke To A Baliff Up There And She Is Still With Us But Still Doesn't Look Good.

There Is A Facebook Page Currently Being Developed. You Can Leave A Sympathy Message There If The Worst Comes To The Worst.

DanC13
08-02-2010, 13:30
Hopefully she can battle through, was my first 40 mirror this one and holds fond memories for me, fingers crossed!

Mikefromsunbury
08-02-2010, 13:39
Hopefully she can battle through, was my first 40 mirror this one and holds fond memories for me, fingers crossed!

Fingers crossed !

I caught her at 22lb on a bit of crust !

Mind you it was a while ago lol

PART_TIMER
08-02-2010, 14:38
Good bait lol
Hope she hangs in there, but fearin the worst here 'fraid...

TomWaltonCarper
08-02-2010, 14:39
have they netted her then?

08-02-2010, 14:47
There Was No Need, She Was Found Hardly Moving In The Margins Yesterday Morning. Baliffs Stood In The Water All Day With Her Yesterday Holding Her Upright. But Had To Leave Her To It Last Night Fearing The Worst. This Morning She Was Still In The Same Place As When They Left Her.

TomWaltonCarper
08-02-2010, 14:55
cant they put her in an oxygenated pond/environment?

gloucesteroldspot
08-02-2010, 15:41
Doubt lack of oxygen is the cause of distress. Could be any number of other factors - age, disease, poor general condition, internal injury, effects of a harsh winter etc.

Santa3
08-02-2010, 15:42
Eating a golf ball////

hirsuit h
08-02-2010, 15:44
whitescale still alive but barely i have phoned the EA and a fish vet as far as oxygen levels at this time of the year cannot see that as an issue I will visit her again as i did this morning and this afternoon as things develop, will put up a post have not done so yet because she is still with us cross them for me Graham(bailiff)

junglist2
08-02-2010, 15:47
Maybe you should all let nature decide what happens to it?

Mr.T
08-02-2010, 15:50
i think letting nature to decide is the best option ...

ranners25
08-02-2010, 15:54
This thread reminds me of when that whale swam up the Thames.........

Jamie
08-02-2010, 15:58
This thread reminds me of when that whale swam up the Thames.........

cue loads of excited japanese golf players in the bar looking out on the lake :D

seriously though - hope she is ok - a lovely old fish that one.

pottsville
08-02-2010, 16:26
Fingers crossed she makes it. Had a fish in a similar way at syndicate lake this summer, very lathargic, wouldnt swim away etc. Survived and seems on the mend, lets hope White is the same

carp5684
08-02-2010, 18:23
just popped down there,found her floating in some snags in back finger,got in and uprighted her and is slowly swimming around on bottom at the minute.As soon as she pops up on her side she just hasnt got the strength in her to right herself and drop down.fingers crossed for her but does look very doubtfull i must admit.

carpgeezer
08-02-2010, 18:34
Sounds to me that the writing is on the wall for that old fish. It must of had a good innings & in my humble opinion (i know everyone means well) should be left in peace to see out its last moments...... Sad i know but inevitable by the sound of it :cry:

mr J Birtles
08-02-2010, 19:20
i can feel a poem comming on :notworthy:

oli
08-02-2010, 19:21
never caught her in my time there was going to go back next season for her but doesnt look like its going to happen...

hirsuit h
09-02-2010, 08:28
just left her 0800am this morning same condition as yesterday we are leaving nature to take its course but also dont want to leave her to be pushed and poked around by members of the public as due to her size she stands out like a sore thumb.With dog walkers and duck feeders using the premises constantly she is bound to attract attention will keep you updated Graham

Mikefromsunbury
09-02-2010, 09:06
This cold winter we have had seems to be finishing a few very old big fish off.

Does anyone know if any small ones have gone belly up but just not getting talked about ?

jad7
09-02-2010, 18:42
just left her 0800am this morning same condition as yesterday we are leaving nature to take its course but also dont want to leave her to be pushed and poked around by members of the public as due to her size she stands out like a sore thumb.With dog walkers and duck feeders using the premises constantly she is bound to attract attention will keep you updated Graham

Where was she when you left her , went round the whole lake today at lunch and didn't see her?

wates
09-02-2010, 19:23
long way down from manchester for a walk round at lunchtime fella.......

jad7
09-02-2010, 19:42
long way down from manchester for a walk round at lunchtime fella.......

fricking was m8 definately had to have a pint in the bar after that .

wates
09-02-2010, 20:19
lol, poor old girl disturbed me one night while i was having a pint, bless her

davegray
10-02-2010, 00:03
Will be a real shame to see her go,, i managed to catch her twice while i was on there and is still my dads pb,,like someone said before shallow lake,harsh winter gotta have an effect,you never know may pull through...

wates
10-02-2010, 00:07
old age i think, the winter of 95-6 the place was solid for most of the time, and no casualties that winter
mind you it wasnt as full of bait then................

davegray
10-02-2010, 00:14
mind you it wasnt as full of bait then................

Or lines ,,those fish have come under a fair bit of pressure in the last few years,,its amazing the difference it makes when fish hit 40lb+...

wates
10-02-2010, 00:35
very true, but there was a lot more swims when i was on too
but the bream were a lot smaller, greedy though the ****ers

she was only "only lol" 30 in my encounters with her, my 1st 30 too, so i wish her whatever causes her less grief in her last days, by the sound of it

mozzer
10-02-2010, 06:12
Whats your first name wates ? im sure we where on there the same time ?

hirsuit h
10-02-2010, 08:14
many thanks to the lawn tennis association please pm me

Smithy66
10-02-2010, 08:16

Mr Wates to you Mozzer :lol:

Santa3
10-02-2010, 08:19
Whats your first name wates ? ?

Heavy

Smithy66
10-02-2010, 08:21

Horatio Ignacious Wates, remember him? :lol:

wates
10-02-2010, 12:08
You would have known me as Fooksy if we were there at the same time mate
I did the whole 95 season, and the summer and early autumn of the 96 season.....

mozzer
10-02-2010, 13:30
You would have known me as Fooksy if we were there at the same time mate
I did the whole 95 season, and the summer and early autumn of the 96 season.....
Did you where glasses back then ? Ive got a graham in my head for some reason ?

thicky
10-02-2010, 13:45
Did you where glasses back then ? Ive got a graham in my head for some reason ?

Thats him Mozzer....blinking ugly!!

TJC
10-02-2010, 13:48
Is it dead yet or what?

DeanOr
10-02-2010, 13:49
Who wates? hes an old un for sure. I wasnt aware he was that close to the door?

Smithy66
10-02-2010, 13:52
Is it dead yet or what?

Hey TJC, a little bit of sensitivity if you don't mind. This is a named fish we are talking about, if you were not aware :dissapoint: :confused:

TJC
10-02-2010, 14:11
Hey TJC, a little bit of sensitivity if you don't mind. This is a named fish we are talking about, if you were not aware :dissapoint: :confused:

No s*** sherlock! the thread seems to have drifted off to past times not whats happening with the fish.

mozzer
10-02-2010, 14:16
Thats him Mozzer....blinking ugly!!
Bloody yep its all coming back to me.Wates do you remember the pair of us coming out the bar one night to finish our pints of in your swim no1 on the social .As we sat there supping away i get a one noter,which would not of been to much of a problem but i was fishing on goose at the time,the bleeding thing didnt stop all the way round there and i lost it after a epic battle to the hook straighting out ! that will teach me !!!

hirsuit h
10-02-2010, 14:53
no she is not dead yet just left her 2.30 pm trying to get someone to come and have a look at her but its not a club therefore there is no funding have left messages with fish vets after speaking to Bruno Broughton but 400-500 and thats before treatment if she is treatable :(

po1
10-02-2010, 15:12

sorry couldnt resist it surley its lite wates :lol: :lol:

wates
10-02-2010, 16:16
Mozzer, i do have a recollection of that night, think i got round just as you lost it, then had to walk back all for no reason lol
Good times on there back then, much of it is hazy, at best lol

Thicky **** off you girly hairdressing **** lol :-)

NorthernJohn
10-02-2010, 16:36
I hope for you guys on there that the fish pulls through. Although it may not look promising I know of a bug fish in Yorkshire that as a upper 30 showed similar signs, they lost hope that it would have a positive end. Several years on the fish is still about and now goes 42+,so fingers crossed

NEILZ
10-02-2010, 16:53
Anyone got a contact number to a baliff there. A Vet friend can possibly come have a look.

G_Dell
10-02-2010, 16:58
It's a difficult one but I'm not sure what you can do.

Say a vet comes out looks at it, somehow manages to treat it and come March someone sticks a hook in it and catches it causing a load more stress. I completely understand how attached you get to the fish you target but they're not pets.

I think nature should take its course and fingers crossed it pulls through, it's a cracking fish

wates
10-02-2010, 17:05
shut the lake after the vet treats it until the new season
anyone that moans don't give a fig about fish welfare and won't get renewed
simples

TomWaltonCarper
10-02-2010, 17:11
shut the lake after the vet treats it until the new season
anyone that moans don't give a fig about fish welfare and won't get renewed
simples

good call

KennyB
10-02-2010, 17:14
Fill it with concrete and make the golfers car park bigger.

anyone who dont like it dont get allowed in the bar.

Santa3
10-02-2010, 17:14
After all they have shut it before when flooded.

wates
10-02-2010, 17:18
Fill it with concrete and make the golfers car park bigger.

anyone who dont like it dont get allowed in the bar.

make the bar bigger and get rid of the golfers :thumbs:

KennyB
10-02-2010, 17:22
18 hole pub!

wates
10-02-2010, 17:23
you do get a lot of birds in there lunchtime, yes
prob more than 18................

watto
10-02-2010, 17:43
Anyone got a contact number to a baliff there. A Vet friend can possibly come have a look.

I once took a chicken to a vet, it fell out of a tree and impailed itself on a branch, they operated and charged over three hundred and sixty pounds for the work. The next chicken that had a problem I wrung it's neck.

Moral of the story, I'm stupid.

But also that wild animals should be left be and if they are in extreme pain, bash them over the head.

wanderindog
10-02-2010, 17:59
But also that wild animals should be left be and if they are in extreme pain, bash them over the head.

exactly, leave the poor ****** alone stop touching and poking it:( without the stress it may just stand a chance:eek:

Jimmy6bellies
11-02-2010, 12:35
Has it died? Just seen something on Facebook

hirsuit h
11-02-2010, 13:51
update for those interested she is not dead we have had her examined and diagnosed by a QUALIFIED fish veterinarian and she has been given an injection of a broad spectrum antibiotic which will hopefully help her.She is not out of the woods by any means this treatment will be repeated on Saturday for those who want to know it is a gill infection and she is a bit septasemic.I would like to thank all those who have helped out in the syndicate and passed well wishes but single out NEILZ who put me in touch with the vet who is also a carp angler and gave his time,services,and medication free of charge keep em crossed THANK YOU:clap:

TomWaltonCarper
11-02-2010, 13:59
update for those interested she is not dead we have had her examined and diagnosed by a QUALIFIED fish veterinarian and she has been given an injection of a broad spectrum antibiotic which will hopefully help her.She is not out of the woods by any means this treatment will be repeated on Saturday for those who want to know it is a gill infection and she is a bit septasemic.I would like to thank all those who have helped out in the syndicate and passed well wishes but single out NEILZ who put me in touch with the vet who is also a carp angler and gave his time,services,and medication free of charge keep em crossed THANK YOU:clap:

not a time for congrats yet, but good work none the less, as much as I am one for letting nature take its course if you were to see an animal in pain and could help it I am all for it. fingers crossed for you mate

Strider
11-02-2010, 14:02
Dodgy time of year, hope I'm wrong but when nazeing meads had a big fish kill the first one to go was the big common, at that time biggest fish in the lake. Several weeks later loads started popping up dead, they even kept one big fish alive in a tank for a week or so, nothing could be done, The EA's final prognosis, gill fluke, as I said I hope this is not the case, have any fish been introduced recently?

11-02-2010, 15:12

there are still some nice people about well done to the vet lets hope it does the trick:thumbs:

Miserableoldgit
11-02-2010, 16:15
I for once hope that Strider is wrong ……….. monogenean trematodes are a bastid to get rid of.

If it is the case then a salt bath will help ………… very difficult with a big fish that is already distressed……….

It could be that during the freeze over the fish was caught in pocket of decaying matter and breathed in a load of [email protected] for an extended period. Funnily enough Carp are quite robust with these issues and if it was fluke related I would have expected other species to go first.

However, the I have greatest respect the vet and his diagnosis …….. :thumbs:

Baby Baz Barr
11-02-2010, 16:39
There are lots of 'if's' and 'buts' to why Whitescale is unwell. I personally find it hard to swallow considering a fish HAS been introduced into the lake recently and then one of the largest residents takes a turn for the worse? Is this coincidence? I REALLY hope this isnt the case as it will mean the rest of the fish will follow Whitescales demise. The vet has said that it is a gill problem (a bit like a cold for a fish) and this is treatable. But I hope its not a different gill problem such as gill fluke which might have come along with the new Carp. I'm sure the vet would have diagnosed correctly. HUGE respect to the people involved in helping out the old girl. The vet has given her some antibiotics which should kick in tomorrow so lets wait and see what happens......

Silenthunter
11-02-2010, 16:47
No one said any fish had been introduced! did they?

NEILZ
11-02-2010, 16:49

No probs mate, glad i could help. Biggest thanks must got to Andy the Vet though, top fella.
Hope the big girls on the mend soon.

Baby Baz Barr
11-02-2010, 16:50
Well lets deal with facts if were gonna chat about it. As far as I know this is the case? Do you know different?

Santa3
11-02-2010, 16:57
What do you know?????

carp5684
11-02-2010, 17:14
Must say a big thankyou to andy the vet for doing what he can for the old girl.lets just hope she pulls through.

Silenthunter
11-02-2010, 17:22
Well lets deal with facts if were gonna chat about it. As far as I know this is the case? Do you know different?

I

What i asked was! where on this thread it mentioned fish had been introduced?

Someone asked if fish had been introduced?

Which is also the question i was posing?

Strider
11-02-2010, 17:26
I

What i asked was! where on this thread it mentioned fish had been introduced?

Someone asked if fish had been introduced?

Which is also the question i was posing?

Think BBB is saying he thinks a fish HAS been introduced :thumbs:

Silenthunter
11-02-2010, 17:33
Think BBB is saying he thinks a fish HAS been introduced :thumbs:

Ah cool. Sorry i was confused lol :bonk:

jake123
11-02-2010, 18:05
great to see people careing for the old girl so much

carp5684
11-02-2010, 18:23
It is common knowledge that there was one fish stocked in october last year that was a certified fish and came from a reputable fish farmer,but as we know andy hasnt diagnosed any gill fluke as of yet,but further tests can be carried out once and if she shows some improvement,i.e gill swab and tested but will cross that bridge when needed.

carp5684
11-02-2010, 18:29
Just to add to the post above that the stocking was also consented by the enviroment agency so was all done above board

LOUGHNANE2
11-02-2010, 18:31
i really dont see what can be gained from stocking one bloody fish! put a stock at risk like that madness.

fair play to the vet thou, wish there was more good deeds like that in the world

Strider
11-02-2010, 18:44
[QUOTE=LOUGHNANE2;1359568]i really dont see what can be gained from stocking one bloody fish! put a stock at risk like that madness.

Ah yes, believe thats called the hari kari style of fishery management :bonk:

Fishboy
11-02-2010, 19:14
I'm selling 'Save Whitescale' T-Shirts - al a Ferris Bueller.

25 a pop all proceeds to a good cause I promise you.....

wates
11-02-2010, 19:19
i really dont see what can be gained from stocking one bloody fish! put a stock at risk like that madness.

fair play to the vet thou, wish there was more good deeds like that in the world

what they supposed to do, very low stock, got to think of the future

one at a time best policy, get a diverse mix for the future then

Strider
11-02-2010, 19:39
what they supposed to do, very low stock, got to think of the future

one at a time best policy, get a diverse mix for the future then

Can't agree with that Wates, surely every time you stock you run a risk, must be better to do a one off stocking of a number of fish, if you want to keep low stock, you can always remove in the future, also gives you the opportunity to keep best thrivers.

wates
11-02-2010, 20:13
maybe, but put 20 in and theres 20 times the chance one of them carrying something iffy, that the others have already been exposed to
but, the origanal stock haven't..................

mesac_god
11-02-2010, 20:17
maybe, but put 20 in and theres 20 times the chance one of them carrying something iffy, that the others have already been exposed to
but, the origanal stock haven't..................

No expert but either way its a big risk 20 fish x 1 problem 20 differently stocked chances of 20 different problems. Seen plenty of lakes wiped out on so called safe stockings. Totally agree however that the old warriors wont last for ever. Guess a stock pond on the same water table and grown on fish possible an answer.

Strider
11-02-2010, 20:22
I suppose, but if they felt the need to stock one fish and Whitescale pegs it surely they will need to stock another, obviously I dont know the lake in question but it sounds like if that happens to many times youll have a low stock, stocky lake. :thumbs:

wates
11-02-2010, 20:27
the "originals" come from all over, ahem
also the odd fish has appeared as if by magic, its public see
2 grassies and a little mirror appeared on my 2nd year on their, courtesy of the general public having a clear out of their garden ponds i guess
so the stock seem fairly hardy, and some carry a weird disease where the go extra slimy, and the ends of fins and tail go fuzzy

davegray
11-02-2010, 21:41
Remember seeing someone tipping the contents of there garden pond into the lake a few years ago,spoke to the person afterwards,they had no idea of the potential problems they could of caused,would imagine its happened quite a few times over the years.

Spacehead
11-02-2010, 23:23
you can't go around stocking lakes I mean that is utter madness, crazy fool should pistol whipped.....................

oh the irony.....

Santa3
12-02-2010, 08:51
the "originals" come from all over, ahem
also the odd fish has appeared as if by magic, its public see
2 grassies and a little mirror appeared on my 2nd year on their, courtesy of the general public having a clear out of their garden ponds i guess
so the stock seem fairly hardy, and some carry a weird disease where the go extra slimy, and the ends of fins and tail go fuzzy

I had a couple of mirrors with a minging disease on them,and whitescale would always come out in a blotchy rash has it got anything to do with treatment on the greens?????

ranners25
12-02-2010, 09:03
Tis a good point Santa. There must be a load of runoff of all sorts of fertilisers and pesticides.....

Johnny_Carp
12-02-2010, 09:07
Maybe carp pox?

http://images.google.co.kr/images?complete=1&hl=ko&q=carp%20pox&lr=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Santa3
12-02-2010, 09:09
I dig some piccys out...

apples
12-02-2010, 09:41
I'm selling 'Save Whitescale' T-Shirts - al a Ferris Bueller.

25 a pop all proceeds to a good cause I promise you.....

Ill have four please. Going anywhere nice?

KennyB
12-02-2010, 09:51
The Dr Dolittle foundation.

Where did the 1 fish come from?

I was under the impression to obtain a section 30 you had to cull x amount of fish, was that worth it for 1 fish?

Bream
12-02-2010, 12:29
You need to cull fish if you are moving fish out of the lake not into it!!!

The fish farm or where ever will have had their checks.

Duhhhhhhh

KennyB
12-02-2010, 12:32
Oh that bought a single fish from a farm?

I presumed as it was singular they had moved it from somewhere.

wherearethey
12-02-2010, 12:34
You need to cull fish if you are moving fish out of the lake not into it!!!

The fish farm or where ever will have had their checks.

Duhhhhhhh

Yeah Kenny b DUHHHHH roftl

hirsuit h
12-02-2010, 14:46
the fish was all above board as per previous thread the company concerned took other fish to other waters on the same day no problems there so stop guessing what you think caused her problem deal in facts ,if you know them if you dont you know dont guess oh and by the way i have just left she is still with us second jab tomorrow

Brakers
12-02-2010, 14:51
Hope the fish pulls through and lives on to see longer days of making people happy!

davegray
12-02-2010, 17:18
dave, thanks for ignoring my pm's m8. legend.

pm for you

bobreid
14-02-2010, 11:32
Is it still with us then?

nashy1001
14-02-2010, 12:56
yes, its still holding on in there!

Mr.T
14-02-2010, 12:58
quality, perhaps it is going through some stress at the moment ...