Hi Guys,

Whats the best way to do this?

Nick

sherlock_h
07-02-2010, 17:50
Hi Guys,

Whats the best way to do this?

Nick

The way i do it Nick, first put the hemp in the cooler box, have several pans of boiling water on the go. Add some salt to each pan of hot water, once they have all boiled pore the lot into the cooler box. You want at least 4" of water above the hemp for when it swells up. I then put 2 tin foil sheets over the top of the cooler box, then pop the lid on. All the heat stays in. You always give it time to split. Needs at least 12 hours. At least 12-18 hours. I always check it before taking it fishing, if the hemp hasn't split very well, i just top it up with hot water. If you put plenty of salt in the hot water you will be able to put the hemp into pva stockings and it won't melt. Hope that helps

nickthompson
07-02-2010, 20:31
Perfect thanks. Do you not soak it then?

Nick

Hippy
07-02-2010, 20:36
Nope!
Fill coller box 1/2-2/3 full of hemp, add salt, chillies etc if desired, then top up with boiling (lake or rain, not tap!) water. Leave overnight and presto - perfect hemp! Try not to lift the lid and check it every five minutes tho'

nickthompson
07-02-2010, 21:02
sounds easy.

sherlock_h
07-02-2010, 21:09
sounds easy.

yes it easy

f15hie
07-02-2010, 22:00
Remember to allow room for expansion, unless your an idiot like me a few years ago. Went bak the next day to find hemp everywhere on garage floor and the smell lasted for ages. Wondered why over the next few months mice had attacked bag's, rod olders other bits with mice marks in it!

Doh!

Mikefromsunbury
08-02-2010, 11:30
I use to soak mine in a metal bucket then pop it on the stove,bring to the
boil and pour the whole lot into the cool box,leave over night.

If you pre soak it will split more!

Job done !

EastAngler
08-02-2010, 13:56
If you put plenty of salt in the hot water you will be able to put the hemp into pva stockings and it won't melt.

Agree with the basic principles outlines, using the cool box for hemp is nice and easy and allows for a good quantity to be done in one go.

The tip about foil over the top is a good one - I'll try that.

The comment on salt and PVA has confused me though, sorry. How does salt stop the PVA from melting? The hemp is still wet surely?