PDA

View Full Version : Piking on a mega deep pit

DAFFYD THOMAS
04-02-2010, 17:32
Normally do alot of my piking on a aversge depth pits 4ft to 10 ft in depth which are pretty easy to fish.....in terms of tactics....many blanks take place of course!:)

I'm now moving on to a very deep,vast, wind swept lake which can go up to 40 foot in depth...anyone else fishing at these depths? bait on the bottom? pop it all up? paternoster? ...Any tips/experiences really appreciated :confused:

Tim_Kelly
04-02-2010, 18:12
40 ft really isn't that deep. I've caught pike in 65ft before and on some of the Lakes up north they regularly target them in those sort of depths. You need to be careful of line getting caught up on the marginal shelf, if the lake drops away very steeply, so adapt your rigs to suit.

I would probably target the margins first if the lake just drops away to 40ft all round.

PLEASUREANGLER
04-02-2010, 18:44
2 rods out, dead bait, one in deepest, one in shallow margin, sounds very exciting as depth fishing is like fishing the unknown.

lyndon
04-02-2010, 20:14
Sunken float rig a must to keepline away from steep marginal rocks whcih a lake of such depth is probably going to have.

wizardo
04-02-2010, 20:51
Normally do alot of my piking on a aversge depth pits 4ft to 10 ft in depth which are pretty easy to fish.....in terms of tactics....many blanks take place of course!:)

I'm now moving on to a very deep,vast, wind swept lake which can go up to 40 foot in depth...anyone else fishing at these depths? bait on the bottom? pop it all up? paternoster? ...Any tips/experiences really appreciated :confused:

Pop 'em up, the Greys Prowla range offer some good pop-up "sticks", alternatively add foam, trim until you get the just right of neutral buoyancy for the bait that you are using. Quite important that you get a good leak off at those depths.

Tim_Kelly
04-02-2010, 21:13
Pop 'em up, the Greys Prowla range offer some good pop-up "sticks", alternatively add foam, trim until you get the just right of neutral buoyancy for the bait that you are using. Quite important that you get a good leak off at those depths.

Carp angler alert!! :D :D :D

glennpompier
05-02-2010, 10:00
Yes 40' not deep at all, but try and find out the underwater terrain in the deep parts you want to fish. Have a look at this link of mine http://www.flickr.com/photos/glennmorley/798406269/sizes/l/ and imagine casting a dead bait out into this lol. Of course like someone said before if you use a sunk float etc it will help big time.
This place goes down to well over 120', very dark and cold down there. When I've dived there never bother going down to the deep parts as no fish life to be seen. As you come up to a more shallow depth the water gets really nice and warm and then at about 30' you start seeing all the fish life. The first photo with the large rocks was taken at around 30', this second photo was taken in submerged trees at around 20', http://www.flickr.com/photos/glennmorley/798406313/sizes/l/
As a diver and a fisherman it's very interesting to see the fish in their actual
habitat feeding etc. My dive buddy and I sat on the bottom watching that Pike in the tree from below for around fifteen minutes. I'm guessing that Pike was around 20lb or so.

robhale
05-02-2010, 10:38
That's brilliant. Stunning shots. How big would you estimate the Pike in those shots?

Probably a bit of role-reversal going on with that Pike thinking "Oh S**** what the bl**dy hell's that following me!?" :)

glennpompier
05-02-2010, 14:43
Underwater everything looks a lot bigger lol. I would guess that Pike was between 20 and 25. The Pike are like most animals etc, if you get close they don't like it. This one slowly swam away which is in the first shot here. I'll try and dig out another photo from the dive where my buddy swam around the pike to be photographed behind the fish. It may give you a better idea how big the pike is.

john the boy
06-02-2010, 22:31
40 ft really isn't that deep. I've caught pike in 65ft before and on some of the Lakes up north they regularly target them in those sort of depths. You need to be careful of line getting caught up on the marginal shelf, if the lake drops away very steeply, so adapt your rigs to suit.

I would probably target the margins first if the lake just drops away to 40ft all round.

whats the average depth accros the whole of the lake?

40 foot is a normal depth on a lot of the waters i fish those lakes Mr kelly mentioned and a good few water feed/canal supply reserviors have those depths

DAFFYD THOMAS
06-02-2010, 23:30
Some really interesting points chaps....thanks :clap: Loving those photos

The lake varies from 40 ft to 65 ft, so the margins is where I start ;)

curly_wull
07-02-2010, 12:07
Definately a float paternostered dead (or live if allowed) in the edge and a drifter on the other set at 10-15'. I've fished some pretty deep waters and the margins cannot be ignored but neither can open water. Lost count of how many pike I've taken either drifting or trolling relatively shallow over deep water. Watch the prey fish, if they are topping in an area then drift a bait through them, works for me.

john the boy
07-02-2010, 18:47
Some really interesting points chaps....thanks :clap: Loving those photos

The lake varies from 40 ft to 65 ft, so the margins is where I start ;)

dont fish everything on the deck try around 20-25 feet, the deeper water dependant on the size of the lake and how much movement of water occurs between the 'clines could lead to a fair amount of dead water on big waters you get get a phenomenon called turnover (google it you should turn up some US stuff and hopefully an eric edwards piece that makes a lot of sense) if the water your on doesnt mix up at some point then you will be able to discount certain depths

the problem is what depth im afraid that will be trial and error on your part.

next how quick do these depths appear?

if its within a few yards tehn suspending baits or using mobile baits/lures may well be a fairly quick way of sorting the fish's comfort zone out

glennpompier
08-02-2010, 09:21
See message above.

When diving in deepish freshwater the thermoclines can be seen so easy. The quarry where those Pike photo's were taken the thermocline started at around 30'. Where they join it looks like two different layers, just like a sponge cake to say. You can hover above the colder line and put your arm in and out and feel the change in temperature. Just like putting your hand and arm into a fridge and then pulling back into a warm bath.