PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Government Ebro cull.

Paul_the_Bailiff
02-02-2010, 16:25
The Spanish Government are planning to net and cull all non native species from the upper Ebro.

PLEASUREANGLER
02-02-2010, 16:28
The Spanish Government are planning to net and cull all non native species from the upper Ebro.

Carp or catfish?

StewartJ
02-02-2010, 23:21
Interesting, I heard they were doing this around the delta area.
Neither Carp or Catfish are native, so they'll all go

guybaxendale
02-02-2010, 23:37
What constitutes the Upper Ebro Paul?

JV44
03-02-2010, 08:24
I believe they had already been netting/culling from Fl ix down so i would guess above there ,Don't see how they are ever going to get them all due to the size/length of the river.
Again not sure but is it not a different licence to fish around Mequ than the lower end hence the start netting the lower first?? Steve.

Paul_the_Bailiff
03-02-2010, 09:51
What constitutes the Upper Ebro Paul?

It was in yesterday's AT Guy, the areas mentioned were well above Caspe I believe.

garyguide
04-02-2010, 14:25
TAKEN FROM THE MAGAZINE AS FOLOWS:
Rumours are rife among local guiding services that the Spanish government is planning to deploy over 100km of nets throughout the upper reaches of the river around La Granja d’Escarp with the aim of removing all species deemed ‘non-indigenous’ to the waterway.

to add to that then the end was this
At the time of going to press, Angling Times was still waiting for an official response from the Spanish authorities

FOR THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW THE GOVERMENT STOCKED CARP INTO THE RIVER SYSTEM MANY YEARS AGO OVER 2000 FISH ON THE FIRST STAGE OF STOCKING . SO HOW YOU CAN EVEN BELEIVE THIS COULD HAPPEN IS WAY ABOVE MY HEAD

ok did you get the first word RUMOURS
I WILL SAY IT AGAIN (RUMOURS) ITS LIKE PYRAMID SELLING MATE FROM ONE PERSON TO THEN TWO THEN FOUR THEN EIGHT .
ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN . I BELEIVE THE (RUMOUR) CAME FROM A COMPANY THAT HAS NOW DISOLVED FROM FISHING ON THE EBRO . NOT A GOOD SOURCE I MIGHT ADD.
HOW ON EARTH YOU CAN PRINT AN ARTICLE THATS STARTS WITH. RUMOURS ARE RIFE
WE THINK ITS A RUMOUR WHAT SORT OF SOLID EVEIDENCE IS THAT.
ITS LIKE ME SAYING ELVIS IS STILL ALIVE ACCORDING TO RUMOURS
SOME FAT USLESS GIT THAT CANNOT RUN A SAUSAGE STAND STARTED THIS RUMOUR MATE

garyguide
04-02-2010, 14:26
RUMOR (noun)
The noun RUMOR has 1 sense:

1. gossip (usually a mixture of truth and Untruth) passed around by word of mouth( NOT BY ACTUAL TRUTHS)

Familiarity information: RUMOR used as a noun is very rare.

• RUMOR (verb)
The verb RUMOR has 1 sense:

1. tell or spread rumors

Familiarity information: RUMOR used as a verb is very rare.

PLEASUREANGLER
04-02-2010, 17:10
In my experience rumours are half way around the world before truth has got its boots on.

They are usually more exciting. :D

garyguide
04-02-2010, 17:14
How true is that mate . bang on

garyguide
04-02-2010, 17:22
There is one thing which my wife and i have just discussed tha fact that anglers will read this and think well if that the case why go there if they are killing them
you see people dont even think of the consequences it has on mine or any family, the kids future.

The effects of silly things like this do have long term affects on well basicaly any company out there.

I can see somebody being sued for liable here if it affects people to much.
I can also see the persons in question from where the root of this silly RUMOUR came from being held high and everybody pionting at them saying it was him or her or whatever
So all i can say is we still guarntee catfish on what we do.

davey1309
22-02-2010, 19:43
Loads of posts on this subject on the CCG forum.
Breif synopsis.
A test netting has been carried out on the lower Ebro around the tortosa area.
Pressure forced them to stop untill results of toxicology tests are confirmed.
If it goes ahead then the govt of catalunya plans to have 100kilometers of nets .
Yess thats 100km.
Catalunya waters include the segre around la granja.

The govt of Aragon (mequi caspe chipriana escatron etc) have stated in newspapers that they have no plans to net in their region.

For those interested previous tests indicate extremely high levels of mercury in predators below Flix way in excess of those permissable for human consumption

stonesy
23-02-2010, 12:06
"HOW ON EARTH YOU CAN PRINT AN ARTICLE THATS STARTS WITH. RUMOURS ARE RIFE"

Simples....

If all the leading guiding companies are talking about it, including the biggest and most well-established (Colin Bunn's firm), and the Catfish Conservation group are also talking about it, and the local newspapers are reporting it, then it is just that, a rumour. Albeit a very strong one.

It's better to inform people of what might be going on, than to ignore the issue altogether. Thousands of British anglers fish over there each year, and they need to be told IMHO.

Covboy
23-02-2010, 19:42
Yes we have been discussing on the CCG forum, however we have been subjected to all the rumour, scaremongering, denials, claims, counter claims etc as has everybody else. For the most definative and concise appraissal of the situation just read the above thread by Davey1309

Dave, i'm back over in Caspe over Easter if you fancy coming up and having a beer. Hopefully our paths will cross this time lol

garyguide
23-02-2010, 21:31
i left a version of the full legal document with simon clarke on sunday at the show stateing the facts that the goverment of aragon are not going to cull kill any catfish at all
simply because it is not legal due to the amounts of toxic levels of mercury within the fish-meat.
would you eat it, would you use it at all if you knew this .
************************************************** ************************************

It's better to inform people of what might be going on, than to ignore the issue altogether. Thousands of British anglers fish over there each year, and they need to be told

I agree mate but only when youve seen the legal documents attached with it fella
i am on your side remember that. information is free

Rumours spread faster than fires . and are just as dangerous if not more likely to cause more damage than good

************************************************** *******************************

davey1309
24-02-2010, 18:25
Gary please re read the posts.
Lower Ebro = Catalunya & not Aragon.
I'm happy to state that you are correct about the press articles by Emili García-Berthou in el periodico & that the government of Aragon have no plans to net their stretch.

PLEASUREANGLER
24-02-2010, 19:13
"""i left a version of the full legal document with simon clarke on sunday at the show stateing the facts that the goverment of aragon are not going to cull kill any catfish at all
simply because it is not legal due to the amounts of toxic levels of mercury within the fish-meat.
would you eat it, would you use it at all if you knew this"""

Does the Spanish Government have any plans to find out just how the DEADLY POISONOUS MERCURY is getting into the EBRO.

There must be a EU law forbidding this.

garyguide
26-02-2010, 08:42
hi plasure angler i am happy to say yes they are onto this i have sent them mail and i urge any other anglers out there to simply send a quick, post note to them as well.
can you imaigne them sellng this for any form of food sorce be it fishmeal food for animals or whatever . the comebacks from this wil be devastateing they will be locked up. you cant sell toxic fish ( you silly idiots )
The more the merrier. i am 100% sure that you will see in the future a ban of this sillly stupid idea of culling fish
as i have stated and you All know now that above the dam from meq and parts of meq are 100% safe from the trials they did.
So from now on i urge you to either send a note to the relevant EU authoritys
as i alone cant stop this.
I have however stopped the rumours thats for sure they have gone away. for which i am happy about
and i urge anglers out there with a hint of concern for this subject to join in and send the relevant EU. comittee members your concerns
thanks to all that do this.

you can pass on your concerns here with this form
https://webforms.edcc.eu/form/view/edcc/en