what do you guys think is better for this time of year

neutrally buoyant pop ups

or

pop ups popped up off the bottom

any opinions would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Boxy
30-01-2010, 11:57
Neutral bouyant pop up?? Critically balanced maybe?

I favour the shot on the hair with a hi vis dumbell in 10mm, so it basically stands on it end, saying that my second port of call would be a chod rig fished at 3" off the deck, so try both fella, have done better with the shot on the hair in the last couple of winters fella. If you want to get the latest angler catching rig, try the KD style set up.

S Carp
30-01-2010, 12:04
oh sorry that was what i meant with the shot on the hair so it lays almost on the bottom but when a fish takes it, it will shoot up into their mouth but i was thinking maybe if its popped up off the bottom it would be more noticable so wasn't too sure

Boxy
30-01-2010, 12:10
Exactly, it can be more noticable/blatant, depends what the venue is like mate, I take it you fish with at least two rods?

Stick one on the shot on the hair rig, and the other opped up and inch, also dont forget zig rigs in the winter, especially if the sun is out/high pressure, can be deadly.

S Carp
30-01-2010, 12:17
yeah i use two

its very sunny today first time in a while so yeah could be worth a go with one well high up in the water.

im hoping that the fish will be having a bit of a feed with the rise in temperature

you getting out there this weekend

Jarvo
30-01-2010, 12:17
Exactly, it can be more noticable/blatant, depends what the venue is like mate, I take it you fish with at least two rods?

Stick one on the shot on the hair rig, and the other opped up and inch, also dont forget zig rigs in the winter, especially if the sun is out/high pressure, can be deadly.

Beat me to it Boxy, Zig rigs are a brilliant option in the depths of winter, I've caught alot of fish following switching to a zig after being sat behind bottom or standard popped up baits with no activity.

Good luck :thumbs:

S Carp
30-01-2010, 13:26
thanks the water im going to isn't the easiest

but i'll let you know how i get on