PDA

View Full Version : Gear-Flash or Trash

kenniff
24-01-2010, 16:35
Been through the ringer with gear from the old churners to the singing dancing stuff.
As my prefference i now have good gear but a bit tatty i suppose.
Tie me rods together,big pit diawa's,delks etc.
I like to be able to just chuck em about and not have more luggage that tackle.
I'm not knocking tackle tarts(as we now call them)who have nice gear,i'm just not that bothered meself,some mates have the shinney gear and are class anglers to boot.
Which are you and why,does it keep you interested etc.

"It never did heal after that torrid night together."

carperpete
24-01-2010, 16:54
my gear is average i suppose, not top of the range but not cheapest either, i catch my fair share of fish and enjoy my fishing, thats what its all about and the good mates you get to meet. terminal tackle and bait is where i dont scrimp and scrape, the bits the carp are gonna see!:thumbs:

old git
24-01-2010, 17:01
Was still using 55s and two and a quarter North Westerns until a few years ago. Had to upgrade out of neccessity.
Bought new Tournies last year and a set of second hand Torrix's so guess I must be a tackle tart now?
Dont enjoy the battles as much on heavier gear though, not as much feel through the rod.

Lakeside layabout
24-01-2010, 17:04
All my gear's top of the range,I am a self confessed tackle whore,and frankly a **** poor carper,everything i've ever caught was more luck than judgement but ****** i look good doing it,and that's what counts,and i keep doing it coz they keep bringing out new stuff.I just gotta have it....I got a Problem i think

HappyCamper
24-01-2010, 17:20
still using the same old stuff that I have cobled together 2nd hand, barely used, mainly cast off's from tackle tarts or when I used to work in a fishing tackle company.

so, that would be 13+ year old Nick Buss Rods, recently upgraded to Baboons, a local bloke made stainless (Nick Enoch - awesome stuff), an old MCF landing net which is a bit like Triggers broom, and a bunch of RX's... ( I think that's what they are called) ... etc. buy once, far more enviromentally friendly - bit like my angling, apparently...

Darth_Mullet
24-01-2010, 17:33
Functionality. If it does it's job and does it well, then it stays. My rods/reels/alarms are all over ten years old. Bedchair more like 18 years old :eek: All in half decent nick though. Money is better spent on tickets and bait...

wanderindog
24-01-2010, 17:38
Been through the ringer with gear from the old churners to the singing dancing stuff.
As my prefference i now have good gear but a bit tatty i suppose.
Tie me rods together,big pit diawa's,delks etc.
I like to be able to just chuck em about and not have more luggage that tackle.
I'm not knocking tackle tarts(as we now call them)who have nice gear,i'm just not that bothered meself,some mates have the shinney gear and are class anglers to boot.
Which are you and why,does it keep you interested etc.

"It never did heal after that torrid night together."

oi dont knock us tackle tarts!!!! you shouldve seen my swim this morning, like a tackle show room:lol:

Johnny_Carp
24-01-2010, 17:50
I love my tackle, it's not up-to-date or the latest by any means but it does exactly the same job. I use my 8-9 year old D.A.M carp rods for a majority of my fishing (I have a set of prodigy's but rarely use them), Daiwa emblems, one of which has the bit where it fits into the reel seat broken, but sawn off so I can tighten it into the rods and after an awful overnighter just before christmas I finally resigned my 8 year old 50 inch wavelock and bought myself a stealth brolly. My buzzers look like they've been melted (solvent abuse from mozzie repellent!), I use old dinsmore banksticks and I have to put an old drumstick under the last bit of my bedchair (the welly-wipe section) to keep it level as it bends downwards otherwise!
I saved up for all of my tackle and asked if I would want all the latest gear, I'd still want to use the stuff I do.

curlybob
24-01-2010, 17:57
Did purchase the GOLD Solar pod and hangers..

carpmanjay
24-01-2010, 18:02
i use 1997 bruce ashby perimeters, got em second hand and lov them to bits, reels are tourny's bought second hand brilliant. titan bivi, second hand. the newest kit i had was atts's just swapped them for old delks. My stealth brolly is battered and leaks but its been with me through all my highs and lows and i love it!!!

wouldnt change any of my kit for new.

pez116
24-01-2010, 18:04
my gear is average i suppose, not top of the range but not cheapest either, i catch my fair share of fish and enjoy my fishing, thats what its all about and the good mates you get to meet. terminal tackle and bait is where i dont scrimp and scrape, the bits the carp are gonna see!:thumbs:can see your point about the carp seeing your bait but why would you want them to see your terminal tackle?

Apache
24-01-2010, 18:07
Still using my old trusty sportex 11ft 2lb test rods built 22 years ago, even have my name on, was the fashion back then!

cal35
24-01-2010, 19:47
i have the stuff that i can afford- not top of the range but also not tat. therefore i want to look after it as i wouldnt be able to afford to replace it!

MikeLyddon053698
25-01-2010, 19:49
Bank tramp and proud :)

Most of my stuff is second hand, the only new stuff I have is my reels, and that's just because they were on offer :D

Like the others though, doesn't matter what you look like on the bank, it's the last couple of feet in the water that counts :thumbs:

BACON
25-01-2010, 20:15
I love tackle tarts, they sell all there gear cheap when they upgrade to the latest & greatest allowing paupers like me the chance to buy it :D

MikeLyddon053698
25-01-2010, 20:16
Amen to that :D

mr_penetrator
26-01-2010, 09:25
Dunno how I class myself, I don't like factory built rods, I spent a fortune on my pike rods being built...........15-18 years back and still have and use them, I spent loads on my Carp rods (275 each built) but will have them in 20 years time, I use Daiwa or Shimano reels, Nevs and MPS stainless, my bivvy is aquatex, my net is expensive but I put money away for the lot as I want my gear to be reliable and last for years, surely that don't constitute a tart?

Mr_Bump
26-01-2010, 09:30
Until last year my rods/reels/buzzers were the same ones I bought in the mid 90s.

Bought some new rods for bigger chucks but bought some second hand reels to go with them, so now have two set-ups with the same reels.

Net and stainless are from the 90s too and still use my 98 titan in the winter.

The newest large item I have is probably my Stealth Brolly and thats 4 years old now.

Function comes first.

gloucesteroldspot
26-01-2010, 13:38
Having the latest in rods, reels, stainless, alarms etc might make you a tart, but at least it does all serve a purpose - in other words, you'd compromise your fishing ability/efficiency to a greater or lesser extent if you got rid of some of those items. Of course, you could replace them with second hand rods, reels, alarms, banksticks etc and catch just as many fish, so maybe that's where the accusation of tart comes in - the desire to have the latest of everything? But that's not always fair, as a newcomer to the game could hardly kit himself out with anything but the latest, as he'd almost certainly have walked into a tackle shop and bought what he needed. Does that make him a tart?

But consider this: suppose you have several sets of carp tackle - not just rods and reels, but alarms, banksticks, tackle boxes, rucksacks, bedchairs, bivvies etc etc etc? Suppose you have carefully accumulated three complete sets of gear, from different eras, and have sourced the most appropriate items to compliment each set.

Let's say (for argument's sake) you've got a bunch of cane MkIVs, with Mitchell reels, a basket to sit on and carry the tobacco tins of hooks, Arseley bombs, goosequill floats and so on, Heron alarms and a cotton-covered brolly for shelter.

Suppose you've also got a pair of matt black glass carp rods, Cardinal 55s, Optonics, Efgeeco Pakaseat with Stewart tackle boxes of Gold Label rig tube, beads, Jack Hilton carp hooks, zipp leads, trilobe leads, washing-up bottle top indicators, monkey climbers, canvas brollycamp etc etc.

Suppose you've spent years searching for just the right tackle box - the big Stewart one with the metal clips to keep it shut?

Maybe you've got some modern twelve-footers, big pit reels, Delkims, pramhood bivvy, Fox box full of coated braids, fluorocarbons, leadcore, and so on?

If you did, would that make you a tackle tart? Or a nutcase?

mr_penetrator
26-01-2010, 13:49
It just means you're Graeme, I can live with that ;)

dan_big
26-01-2010, 14:49
Most of my gear is second hand, I use Shimano LC's which seem bullet proof, second hand solar stainless and a set of second hand century rods. If I had bought new stuff for the price I paid for my second hand gear It wouldnt be anywhere near the same standard. Yeah the reels have a few marks and the stainless isnt as shiny as it once was but it does me fine. Only new thing I bought was Fox MMXR alarms about 4-5 years ago now and they look and work fine! I almost bought some new alarms this year but then asked myself "why??"

kenniff
26-01-2010, 16:53
Look at the Shiney Shiney............................

Dapper
26-01-2010, 19:18
The best tackle I own are a a range of super sharp hooks sharpened by myself, bait, few rigs depending on the areas im fishing and balanced gear.

Add:

i) watercraft
ii) watercraft
iii) watercraft
iv) watercraft

you'll get em in.

Dapper
26-01-2010, 19:23
Im actually considering posting a picture of my 'set up' on the kiddies forum.

They will have a heart attack.

Bless em.

Islander
26-01-2010, 19:35
It just means you're Graeme, I can live with that ;)

Classic!

Hippy
26-01-2010, 22:10
Personally, I like nice kit that does the job, but am not precious about it. My rods are donkeys old, as are my bars. That said, I like it to look right - I couldn't sit behind a set of uneven rods with garish cosmetics no matter how well they did the job...

vicky86
27-01-2010, 02:48
my gear is average i suppose, not top of the range but not cheapest either, i catch my fair share of fish and enjoy my fishing, thats what its all about and the good mates you get to meet. terminal tackle (http://www.uxsight.com/category/31704/terminal-tackle.html) and bait is where i dont scrimp and scrape, the bits the carp are gonna see!:thumbs:

:notworthy: my gear is not very expensive and I am satisfied with the quality through it's not the best one. i catch fish and enjoy my fishing, terminal tackle and bait is where i don't scrimp and scrape.

bigupgazza2009
27-01-2010, 12:02
Im actually considering posting a picture of my 'set up' on the kiddies forum.

They will have a heart attack.

Bless em. i shouldn't

mark boyle
27-01-2010, 12:07
mine was shot to bits all my old gear. still have it though but wanted all new shiny stuff and customised rods etc....... nothing wrong in that i dont think. :)

rookers
01-02-2010, 10:59
all old gear for me second hand free spirits the old hutchy imx blanks,still strong/shimano 6500bs the only new bit of kit i own is a wrap for my battered armo,if its not broke dont fix it.
as for tackle tarts fairplay if you have money to burn but it doesnt catch you fish

mark boyle
01-02-2010, 11:06
all old gear for me second hand free spirits the old hutchy imx blanks,still strong/shimano 6500bs the only new bit of kit i own is a wrap for my battered armo,if its not broke dont fix it.
as for tackle tarts fairplay if you have money to burn but it doesnt catch you fish

right so having "ultra cult" battered/old gear does? not heard one angler mention that due to he's/her's new shiny gear they have put more fish on the bank.

rookers
01-02-2010, 12:14
i didnt say having old gear does catch you fish mate but im skint so thats what ive got!!!!MUG

mark boyle
01-02-2010, 14:26
im the mug? :rolleyes:

you pointed out that having flash gear don't catch you anymore fish right?? i mearly flipped the coin asking if old gear does then.......

don't throw your toys out the pram sweetheart. x

mr_penetrator
02-02-2010, 08:45
Hang on a minute, when I decided to get back into carp fishing seriously I shelled out a lot of money on flash new gear (not that my "flash old gear" wasn't up to it but I fancied a change). Since then I've definitely caught more and better fish.

If it helps, I bought three new rods (built), tourneys, nevs, attx, Bivvy (aquatex), net, mat, cooker (all top gear) and I also bought a decent ticket and found a decent bait.

So yeah, flash new gear's caught me more fish ;)

mark boyle
02-02-2010, 10:15
BIG UP STU!! :lol: :clap:

now thats what im talking about. :thumbs:

MikeLyddon053698
02-02-2010, 18:15
My gear is rubbish and it's still better than everyone elses.....end of :D

mr_penetrator
02-02-2010, 19:02
It smells of ginger people, it's soiled and worthless

MikeLyddon053698
02-02-2010, 22:10
It smells of ginger people, it's soiled and worthless

I was talking about my fishing gear, not Boxy's Y-fronts :eek: :lol:

mr_penetrator
03-02-2010, 06:27
my mistake :D

kenniff
03-02-2010, 07:32
I.m trash,but hey,who cares.
The basis of my fishing is like most pasttimes,it gives me something to concentrate on and look forward to.
Its that or the pub and i aint going down that road..........
Flah gear would certainly help this time of year-sleeping bag-bivie quality etc.
Plus i think i might be slightly mad,,,,,,,,,,bling bling jump on the bus,.........

RAYK47
03-02-2010, 13:31
My two pence worth.

Having flash gear alone does not catch more fish however it might contribute if you have good quality gear that means your fishing is more enjoyable (as mentioned already with sleeping bag, bivvy etc). Personally speaking its the other end of the rod where the better quality equipment does make a difference. Good quality "sharp" hooks, bait etc.

I certainly do not have the most expensive gear. Most of it is fairly new (2 years or so) unless you call Outcasts, Diawa regal's and micron alarms flash that is. If you can afford it then nice but if you cant that extra cash is better spent on terminal tackle and bait wher eyou will see a much better return on your investment.

Gary_N
03-02-2010, 17:03
A lot of my stuff is old and falling apart - my bedchair for example is 18 years old - and i get some people commenting on it, especially as i work in the angling trade!
I find it lulls the fish - and other anglers - into a false sense of security as you don't look like being much danger to anyone!

A mate of mine who catches silly numbers of big carp has really tatty gear and i can remember when he turned up on Tolpits everyone laughed at him, especially his twig bivvy pegs - they weren't laughing at him quite so much the next morning after he'd had 3 fish and none of them had a bite!

wates
03-02-2010, 20:26
Gary, what about the log or bucket as back rests ?
Never did Mad Martin any harm, and probably earned him some peace and quiet from the "tarts" eh ;)

TCarper
03-02-2010, 20:34
My bedchair is 18 years old...

My buzzers are 18+ years old...

My rods are 16 years old...

My reels are 12 years old...

Ive never owned a set of buzzer bars...

I am a tramp :(

wates
03-02-2010, 20:53
1986 vintage, my bansticks

mark boyle
04-02-2010, 09:34
i can't stand getting my gear dirty. goes in the dishwasher when i get home.

TomWaltonCarper
04-02-2010, 10:41
ON THE FLIP SIDE

if your on a clicky water, having nice gear and looking the part may get you accepted among your peers, and thus gain you invaluable information regarding the features, hot spots and going tactics,

i dare say if you turned up on the water with zebco rods/reels, argos alarms etc anglers would take you seriously, you would be immediately classed a noddy and outcasted

although, the same can be said for people with all the top top gear who go down and catch nothing all season

I have always said, its all about whats beneath the water that counts (to a certain extent, obviously fishing distance having big pits and the right rod helps), the fish dont exactly jump out the water, see your kit and decide whether to feed. watercraft and location are the best bits of kit anyone can have

Gary_N
04-02-2010, 10:56
Wates,
Indeed Mad Martin was another one whose gear was as bad as mine.

Tom,
To be honest i wouldn't worry what the other anglers thought as i like to do things my own way and would rather not be told the hot spots, tactics, etc, other than maybe so i could avoid doing the same myself.
If you copy what everyone else is doing you'll only ever catch as much as them, if you do it your own way and get it right then you can have an edge, until the others all start copying you!
The less attraction you attract to yourself the better as it decreases the chances of anyone spotting what you are actually doing!

mark boyle
04-02-2010, 10:58
ON THE FLIP SIDE

if your on a clicky water, having nice gear and looking the part may get you accepted among your peers, and thus gain you invaluable information regarding the features, hot spots and going tactics,

i dare say if you turned up on the water with zebco rods/reels, argos alarms etc anglers would take you seriously, you would be immediately classed a noddy and outcasted

although, the same can be said for people with all the top top gear who go down and catch nothing all season

I have always said, its all about whats beneath the water that counts (to a certain extent, obviously fishing distance having big pits and the right rod helps), the fish dont exactly jump out the water, see your kit and decide whether to feed. watercraft and location are the best bits of kit anyone can have

these were my first rods from Bennetts. :D

Jim
04-02-2010, 11:03
Although I have some flash rods now (I won them in a raffle so it's not my fault :)) the rest of my gear is old, so trash for me all the way.

Usually you find the fellas on the bank with all the flash gear, the 400 reels ect, they belive the most expensice item of tackle will put more carp on the bank, how very wrong. It's not what you use, it's how you use it. ;)

Peddars
04-02-2010, 11:06
Trash gear is less likely to get stolen. Keeping everything in the van is equivalent to an extra room in the house ...

mark boyle
04-02-2010, 11:11
Although I have some flash rods now (I won them in a raffle so it's not my fault :)) the rest of my gear is old, so trash for me all the way.

Usually you find the fellas on the bank with all the flash gear, the 400 reels ect, they belive the most expensice item of tackle will put more carp on the bank, how very wrong. It's not what you use, it's how you use it. ;)

i have to disagree mate. :nuts:

kenniff
04-02-2010, 12:19
If you need the rods n reels to get you out to that spot.
If you need that bag or bivie to survive the cold.
If you need the equipment to get the bait there.
If you need the indicators to stop them getting their head in the weed.
If you need the entertainment to stop you going stir crazy.

What then...????????

philgb
04-02-2010, 19:27
My gear is a mix, cos the way I see it is that as has been said before, if it ain't broke don't fix it. But when it comes to replacing gear I'll replace it with whatever is the best available kit for my needs.

For example my 11 y.o. titan gave up the ghost this winter and when it comes to replacing it I might choose the Aqua carbon compact, does that make me a tackle-tart? Not in my eyes.

carpmanjay
04-02-2010, 22:08
[QUOTE=wates;1352894]Gary, what about the log or bucket as back rests [/QUOTE

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn268/nickyandjay/snakecover2.jpg

like this???

Darth_Mullet
05-02-2010, 23:59
To be honest i wouldn't worry what the other anglers thought as i like to do things my own way and would rather not be told the hot spots, tactics, etc, other than maybe so i could avoid doing the same myself.
If you copy what everyone else is doing you'll only ever catch as much as them, if you do it your own way and get it right then you can have an edge, until the others all start copying you!
The less attraction you attract to yourself the better as it decreases the chances of anyone spotting what you are actually doing!

I posted a thread about this a while back. Stereotypical approaches seem to go in cycles on lakes. A new angler does something different to the "going" method and catches very well. This new tactic then becomes the "going" method as the other anglers cotton on to it. Until the next new face appears and does something different again. Regulars cotton on to it and copy... Repeat... Repeat...

All that flash kit says is "I can afford/like to spend on kit."
A bulging photo album says "I can catch 'em."
There is very little correlation between the two.

DGH
06-02-2010, 09:01
I have a mix and match of middle of the range gear, nothing that exicting. But to me the tackle is sentimental because of the fish I have caught on them. I like the gear I have, and I not really bothered whether it cost a tenner or a grand.
Give me basic tackle and a sharp hook, that all i need. Its good Angling that catches fish, not the tackle.

I have had top of the range expencive gear dont get me wrong. (But thats in a past life). So when you have had it and it gone you appriate what you do have;)

PLEASUREANGLER
06-02-2010, 10:57
[QUOTE=wates;1352894]Gary, what about the log or bucket as back rests [/QUOTE

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn268/nickyandjay/snakecover2.jpg

like this???

Is it me or is that sas bivvy facing the wrong way?:confused:

mr_penetrator
06-02-2010, 12:15
Looks like an ultralite side on to me

retro
06-02-2010, 13:31
I'm convinced most gear hit it's peak in the yuppie days of the mid to late 90's so most of my gears from this era,i buy used because it allows me to have sets of rods and reels and brollys/bivvies etc for different circumstances/lakes.

i don't care how it looks if it does the job and i sleep better at night thinking the tart down the bank is more likely to draw the attention of the thieving scrotes !

Ironically most of my gear has attained a retro cult status over the years so in selling some off over time my entire stash which is probably 4 sets of rods and reels etc probably owes me less than 1 brand new technium lol.

tommy1
06-02-2010, 13:45
Some of my tackle is older than a lot of the members on here. I still manage to catch more than most though. I keep my gear clean and look after it. Some stuff nowadays is so bling I wouldn't want to get it dirty!

old git
06-02-2010, 15:12
mine was shot to bits all my old gear. still have it though but wanted all new shiny stuff and customised rods etc....... nothing wrong in that i dont think. :)

Old gear shot to bits? You only been fishing 5 minutes.:lol:

obo
07-02-2010, 10:15
all my kit is crap i dont look after it i use and abuse it still does the job! My money goes on bait, catapults, leads!