PDA

View Full Version : Rising Price of Tackle

Samo
21-01-2010, 13:55
It seems where ever i look it getting more expensive, as i am only young and cant get a job yet i find it hard to keep fishing :brick:, also does anyone know any good quality braid which is also cheap? :confused:

jdgeary1
21-01-2010, 14:02
ESP for quite a bit of gear. Some of their gear is a third of others, on some products.

In the main, I find them the cheapest in reality for most of the items, although they havent a massive range of things, but most of its functional for the job thats required of it.

cl4rkie
21-01-2010, 14:49
know what you mean it seems the larger items, bed chairs luggage etc..are getting cheaper but the little bits are costing more.

how old are you? how about trying to get a saturday job in a tackle shop you would get a discount on tackel & pick up useful knowledge.

Cooperman
21-01-2010, 16:20
Use mono hooklinks, cheap leads and coat them yourself, there are many ways to make it cheaper.

20 years ago, a rucksack would cost you 90, you can get one today for 30, so it's actually cheaper these days for many items.

There are also plenty of jobs for youngsters to do, i had 2 paper rounds, a market job and a job at the local supermarket, to pay for my angling.

fatbloke
21-01-2010, 16:30
Use mono hooklinks, cheap leads and coat them yourself, there are many ways to make it cheaper.

20 years ago, a rucksack would cost you 90, you can get one today for 30, so it's actually cheaper these days for many items.

There are also plenty of jobs for youngsters to do, i had 2 paper rounds, a market job and a job at the local supermarket, to pay for my angling.

true fishing gear was dear 20 years proberly cause there wasnt many companys about its the little things that cost money too be honest you proberly dont need them anyway only buy what you need:thumbs: ps dont buy cheap braid why chance losing fish jelly e wyre spot on

PLEASUREANGLER
21-01-2010, 16:32
Tackle, rods, reels, line, has never been cheaper, thanks to CHINA.

andyboy21uk
21-01-2010, 16:34
i think it depends some bits are expensive but some are not but i do believe you pay for what you get!! you can catch fish for 50 and you can for 500?? just all comes down to personal preferences??

Crispy
21-01-2010, 18:17
More of it comes down to bankside fashion I think.

Most newer carpers wouldn't be seen dead with rods and reels that don't match, but that's how I started, no doubt a few on here did and I bet with limited waters we still caught more than the newcomers to the sport today.

Samo, don't worry about braid, if it's too expensive buy some Daiwa sensor, 5.00 for 1000m, cheaper than a packet of fags.

Bait wise, buy a couple of kilo's of tigers to prepare yourself, they'll last more than a season, happy days.

Plenty of quality you can buy to keep the costs down.

fisherthon
21-01-2010, 18:23
Keep looking on here... often free stuff available... or even be cheeky and ask if people have any unwanted gear lying around. I know I have (under the pretence I will need it some day)

Ponty
21-01-2010, 19:57
PM me if you want some cheap Fox Graviton - and I mean cheap!

chilli
21-01-2010, 20:21
It seems where ever i look it getting more expensive, as i am only young and cant get a job yet i find it hard to keep fishing :brick:, also does anyone know any good quality braid which is also cheap? :confused:

what are you looking for mainline or braid for a marker rod ?

Lakeside layabout
22-01-2010, 09:15

Samo. Pm me. your address
I,ve got a 300 mtr spool of 15 lb Bullet braid you can have for Free.I'm not likely to use it so you may as well get use from it.

Samo
22-01-2010, 09:45
Thank you for all the help, the only thing about a Saturday job is i go away lot with the cadets :/

TomWaltonCarper
22-01-2010, 14:00
i think people have neglected to blame government who have devaluated our currency by upto 30% on some currency pairs.

a lot of products will be made in china, thus with where the /$ is trading compared to 2 years ago its 25% more expensive to import the goods, these costs, unfortunately, are more than often passed onto the customer, hence why we have seen the price of some fishing items become inflated

hawthorne
22-01-2010, 18:33
got a full spool of whiplash braid somewhere
you can have it if you want pm me o.k.

carpingmad
22-01-2010, 23:11
Samo. Pm me. your address
I,ve got a 300 mtr spool of 15 lb Bullet braid you can have for Free.I'm not likely to use it so you may as well get use from it.

Top man nice touch. :thumbs:

carpingmad
22-01-2010, 23:13
Keep looking on here... often free stuff available... or even be cheeky and ask if people have any unwanted gear lying around. I know I have (under the pretence I will need it some day)

Give it all to him then ;)

Crispy
22-01-2010, 23:18
then he can whack it on e-bay and afford some decent stuff!!! LOL

stuart666
23-01-2010, 12:03
ive got a bin bag full of terminal tackle bits and pieces in the loft. pm me what you need and i will have a look through it and you can have it for free if you pm me your address.

trustee
23-01-2010, 19:58
He'll have his own shop on ebay by the end of the week at this rate!

wates
23-01-2010, 20:16
He'll have his own shop on ebay by the end of the week at this rate!

prob already has, just exploiting human nature
like all good dealers :suspect:

Samo
23-01-2010, 22:52
Lol :lol: I dont do ebay :bonk: i only buy

mr_penetrator
24-01-2010, 08:54
Cor blimey, I worked for my gear when I was a nipper. Started with a paper round, progressed to the milk floats and then got the best earner ever, a flower stall on an Essex roadside. Soon worked out that blokes only stopped to buy, not browse, I had a list of individual flower prices so whacked a bit on top..........minted ;)

Samo, I don't wanna sound cruel mate but get yourself a Saturday job.

Boxy
24-01-2010, 08:57
Too right, you look after it more when you have worked hard to get it as well, I used to get on my little bike, and I would do a chinese or kebab van run for the lads round my local lake when I was a nipper, I charged them 100 boiles each, and a portion of chips! I had some good bait, and they were doing the baiting up for me with their own, I would come along and fish singles over the top and bag up!

Samo
24-01-2010, 12:00
Lol i said i cant have a Saturday job because of my cadets, most weekends im going away on camps or helpen out the army :/

mr_penetrator
24-01-2010, 12:02
Choices then nipper, you can't have it all.

Joining the Army one day then?

Samo
24-01-2010, 21:00
Joining the royal marines ;)

carpingmad
24-01-2010, 22:40
Too right, you look after it more when you have worked hard to get it as well, I used to get on my little bike, and I would do a chinese or kebab van run for the lads round my local lake when I was a nipper, I charged them 100 boiles each, and a portion of chips! I had some good bait, and they were doing the baiting up for me with their own, I would come along and fish singles over the top and bag up!

lol why did i not think of this one :thumbs: well done sir.

Rez
24-01-2010, 23:00
Richworth 10mm Frozen Tutti's now 15 a kilo.

All their range up in price. It's a rip-off.

30lbcarpplease
25-01-2010, 09:39

Fish singles!....

carpgeezer
25-01-2010, 12:25
I'm more worried about the price of food & petrol!

PLEASUREANGLER
25-01-2010, 13:09

is there a price fix ring, ie same price everywhere? :suspect:

John488
25-01-2010, 14:44
Lol i said i cant have a Saturday job because of my cadets, most weekends im going away on camps or helpen out the army :/

If your Hants & IOW ACF you dont go to camp every weekend fella..;)
Get yourself a saturday job

Samo
25-01-2010, 15:57
Lol not most, im off on the senior training ;) And also when i do go away i can't keep taking time of or i will get fired, also im not old enough to get a Saturday job i tried it ages ago and i kept getting rejected. Also for about 3 years now i been put on the list to deliver the journal but they never come back to me (SO I DONT THINK I BEEN PUT ON LIST SO IM GOING TO PHONE AGIN IN A MIN).

Carpandco
26-01-2010, 18:04
I find the price of tackle has gone down.....

i dont buy so much needless crap anymore :lol:

Hippy
26-01-2010, 22:13
Big bag of pellets, nice and cheap. Mono off your reels for hooklinks, drennan SS hooks, running lead and a bead....
Carping doesn't have to cost a fortune...

Samo
26-01-2010, 22:31
Thats the way i do it, the only trouble i have is BOLLIES :O

John488
27-01-2010, 04:22
Samo, you dont need to use boilles, try different baits, your local supermarket will be stuffed with them. I have caught plenty of fish on corn, meat, bread etc. What waters do you fish in hampshire.

Carpandco
27-01-2010, 07:24
Thats the way i do it, the only trouble i have is BOLLIES :O

good boilie neednt cost more than 4.50-5.00 a kilo ;)

Samo
27-01-2010, 07:59
shina, john :) and where may i ask you get your bollies for 4.50- 5.00 for a kilo, you can get half for that LOL

fisherthon
27-01-2010, 08:11
Samo, you dont need to use boilles, try different baits, your local supermarket will be stuffed with them. I have caught plenty of fish on corn, meat, bread etc. What waters do you fish in hampshire.

You seen the price of Spam!!! I use it alot, and its soooooooo expensive.

John488
27-01-2010, 15:52
shina, john :) and where may i ask you get your bollies for 4.50- 5.00 for a kilo, you can get half for that LOL

Shina.... never heard of that one, take it you probably mean Sinah, :lol: so you are probably on a portsmouth club ticket. Dont take this the wrong way fella but you appear from your posts to a youngster and one without a lot of experience(if im wrong, sorry). My advice would be to leave Sinah to the more experienced angler, its not an easy water, portsmouth has much better waters to gain experience on, dont try and run before you can walk mate, enjoy the learning stage, enjoy your fishing its not all about the biggest fish in the lake.

Also mate, to answer your original question, braid is banned as main line on all Portsmouth Club Waters, you can only use it for spod or marker.

Good luck and enjoy.

John488
27-01-2010, 15:54
You seen the price of Spam!!! I use it alot, and its soooooooo expensive.

Fair point :lol:

Samo
27-01-2010, 16:19
Yep i know it band on water i just use for rigs, also yes at the carp fishing yes, i only been doing it about half a year..... Converted from course. Also what over water could you say is good because all the ones near me are not in good shape for the carp? (Portsmouth area by the way)

John488
27-01-2010, 16:27
Sent you a PM

Lakeside layabout
27-01-2010, 20:35
Yep i know it band on water i just use for rigs, also yes at the carp fishing yes, i only been doing it about half a year..... Converted from course. Also what over water could you say is good because all the ones near me are not in good shape for the carp? (Portsmouth area by the way)

Was told the other day that the big lake at Petersfield is open again, but is now owned by the council so cheep to fish,have heard it is or was a good water,never fished it myself,but not far from Waterlooville.

P.s Samo Braid was sent 1st class today so should be with you soon. Tight lines Fella:thumbs:

Samo
27-01-2010, 21:39
Thanks mate, ill give you PM when i get it :)

mr_penetrator
27-01-2010, 21:46
Petersfield Heath Samo, always found it relatively easy

John488
28-01-2010, 01:29
Was told the other day that the big lake at Petersfield is open again, but is now owned by the council so cheep to fish,have heard it is or was a good water,never fished it myself,but not far from Waterlooville

Rumour is Petersfield Club have not renewed its lease and Heath Lake is now back in council hands, apparently its down to the algea problem. Dont know how many fish are left in there as the recent blooms have seen plenty go belly up.