PDA

View Full Version : Help with new rig plz!?

whiskers
18-01-2010, 18:07
Hello to all....Having been carping now for many years.Not to sound bigheaded:o to be honest caught 1000s of carp in that time.Ive never really caught many big carp but never really targeted them nor fished so called big fish venues.This summer i managed to land my first thirty a lovely 33lb.14oz common.I normally fish runs waters as my main aim was to have a good days carping or tracking them uncaught nutty canal carp.Seeing that big fish on the unhooking mat was something else.And i now have that carp bug all over again :nuts:And so this year have decided to tackle a couple of big fish venues...!To have a few more of them monster carp!!!!. Now this question is alittle drawn out so bare with me plz. Having used the same rigs now for a couple of years: Rigs that have worked for me.Is there a need to change things to target large carp if so where do you start??. :bonk: Having read books watched dvds.There are 100s of rigs to help with rig ejection,hook holds, fooling big warey carp to cope with there different feeding patterns behaviors ,Has left me completely And utterly confused.MY rigs i use are very basic the first is a fluro carbon mono with a braided hair for clear water conditions and bottom baits:And a strip teaze or camo skin coated braid a cm stipped back near the hook for movement for my popups and coloured water situation...Hook size i vary to accommadate bait size from size 10 with maize to a size 6 with 18mm or double baits etc using shirink tube over the knotless knot and over the eye to create a curve ,and 3 feet of leadcore with a korda safetyclip and lead to gauge distance oppting normally for a 3oz round pear to help with the bolt affect...Now in 2 months im fishing a venue in france for the first time!!!!.its a small venue about 6 aches with depths ranging from 4ft margins and 12ft midwater the bottom is firm clay with a little tree debris for the tree lined margins .The norm catches are between 15 to 40 carp perweek averaging for low 20s to mid fortys.big beds of baits are the norm.Now what rig will be the best to use a strong, reliable,safe yet affective rig to cope with the big french carp and one a can bring bk to the uk and use to good effect ....plz help a fello carper in need:notworthy:many thanks whiskers!!

skizz7163
18-01-2010, 18:09
if what you use works stick with it.

jdgeary1
18-01-2010, 18:17
Sounds like you are doing everything fine. Rigs are made up every day to combat specific issues that people may encounter. Most of the time simple rigs in the right place with a good bait will put carp on the bank.

Carp feed differently, every hour or every minute of every day. It basically means carp may pick up a rig and get rid of it one minute, but the next, the same rig will catch it.

Dont get confused, keep it very very simple.

Charlie R
18-01-2010, 18:22
stick to what you've got mate if theres cast id consider changing but if you up every thing e.g size 6 hooks and 20lb two one will suffice

Darth_Mullet
18-01-2010, 18:27
Watercraft, location and bait application. In my opinion, simple rigs will work most of the time if these three are in good order. Then, as has been said, the remaining handfull of times a specific rig will solve a specific problem.

Throw the mags in the bin and stick to what you know works... A great phrase was posted on here recently... "the carp will teach you everything you need to know." :)

whiskers
18-01-2010, 18:49
Watercraft, location and bait application. In my opinion, simple rigs will work most of the time if these three are in good order. Then, as has been said, the remaining handfull of times a specific rig will solve a specific problem.

Throw the mags in the bin and stick to what you know works... A great phrase was posted on here recently... "the carp will teach you everything you need to know." :) Thanks for the opinion :thumbs: kind of along the lines i was thinking; undoutadly location watercraft and bait application are important vitle but my thinking is just coz i had one big fish to fall prey to the rigs ive used.Maybe fishing for carp big carp that are fished for all the time slight adjustments to my end tackle may help ie say a semi fix lead to a running lead :confused:

Darth_Mullet
18-01-2010, 19:00
Thanks for the opinion :thumbs: kind of along the lines i was thinking; undoutadly location watercraft and bait application are important vitle but my thinking is just coz i had one big fish to fall prey to the rigs ive used.Maybe fishing for carp big carp that are fished for all the time slight adjustments to my end tackle may help ie say a semi fix lead to a running lead :confused:

You mentioned that you hadn't been on any waters with BIG carp? (Although a 33lb'er is, in my book, a big fish...) Surely you can only catch what's in the water in front of you?! :)

In my opinion, if they're on the bait and it's in the right place, then they'll fall to the most simple of rigs... ;)

baldycoot
18-01-2010, 19:58
ok mate, heres a secret rig that all the top boys use.. if they ask, you didnt get it from me ok?

a hair rig.

ta da

stop reading carp twaddle. use a basic rig, put it in right place, good bait.

Bang on fella best carp twaddle ive read agree totaly

Charlie R
18-01-2010, 20:14
http://www.korda.co.uk/movies/?cat_id=5
you'll e ammazed m8

wates
18-01-2010, 21:41
knotless knot
silkworm, yes it does still work
mantis, bit stripped back, stripped back on hair optional
insert other manufafs trade names, dont use em so dont need to know, they all do the same thing
big carp dont know they are big, so feed the same as little ones
but eat more, so more chance of a bite if you get them feeding, only seems harder cos there'll be less of them in your swim
they're all stupid and greedy at the end of the day
stick to simple stuff, that you know well and you'll do fine

Darth_Mullet
18-01-2010, 21:54
knotless knot
silkworm, yes it does still work
mantis, bit stripped back, stripped back on hair optional
insert other manufafs trade names, dont use em so dont need to know, they all do the same thing
big carp dont know they are big, so feed the same as little ones
but eat more, so more chance of a bite if you get them feeding, only seems harder cos there'll be less of them in your swim
they're all stupid and greedy at the end of the day
stick to simple stuff, that you know well and you'll do fine

:thumbs:

Or believe what's in the mags and blow your brain into tiny little pieces! :D

Good luck fella :)

beadey
19-01-2010, 11:11
http://www.korda.co.uk/movies/?cat_id=5
you'll e ammazed m8

How refreshing........

coldcatcher
19-01-2010, 18:49
Find em, feed em and they'll hook themselves...and make sure your hooks as sharp as can be.....