PDA

View Full Version : VW mk4 Golf TDi TRACTION CONTROL LIGHT

advice_needed
18-01-2010, 16:32
hello guys

been looking at a VW mk4 Golf TDi, but the TRACTION CONTROL LIGHT comes on, it does not affect the car, if you switch the car off and on, it goes, i had a look on the net a bit and it seems a bit of a common problem but people are putting it down to a faulty sensor (lateral acceleration sensor) any1 heard of this or had this problem? please advice as i would love to buy this golf but wanna check this issue 1st. :bonk:

many thanks

dmcarpman
18-01-2010, 16:45
does this light go out when driving after it has come on if so that is normal
as the traction control system works from the abs sensors.
wot year is this on i will look in the auto data system for known faults.

advice_needed
18-01-2010, 16:52
hi, its o1 on a y plate, it comes on while driving but goes off when u turn the engine off and on then might not come back on for a while. but doesnt affect the car driving

dmcarpman
18-01-2010, 17:02
they do suffer from breaks in the loom going to the abs sensors they control traction as well best thing is to drive it and get the fault code read on it.
to find out the main problem.

mr_penetrator
18-01-2010, 17:04
hello guys

been looking at a VW mk4 Golf TDi, but the TRACTION CONTROL LIGHT comes on, it does not affect the car, if you switch the car off and on, it goes, i had a look on the net a bit and it seems a bit of a common problem but people are putting it down to a faulty sensor (lateral acceleration sensor) any1 heard of this or had this problem? please advice as i would love to buy this golf but wanna check this issue 1st. :bonk:

many thanks

Funny this, mine started doing the same today, tired after all that fun playing in the snow I guess :D

dmcarpman
18-01-2010, 17:10
make sure the abs ring is clean

carp unit
18-01-2010, 17:32
Usually means an ABS sensor is out. Problem is, without getting the car connected to a computor you wont know which one.

dmcarpman
18-01-2010, 17:48
Usually means an ABS sensor is out. Problem is, without getting the car connected to a computor you wont know which one.

you can find out using a ohm meter conected to the pins on the sensor and spin the wheel and see if the is a change in reading if it changes sonsor is normally ok.
but pluging in to the diagnostic equipment is quicker and better on one's back :lol:

jabber2252
18-01-2010, 18:06
make sure the abs ring is clean

hee hee "clean ring!!!":lol:

sorry couldn't resist :thumbs:

Flipper_al
18-01-2010, 18:08
Its code....;)

scottydog
18-01-2010, 20:26
I'm having a knightmare with my golf at the moment mate, only had it a month and keep getting the engine management light on, my mechanic has plugged it in but the code is inconclusive, I'm beginning to think this weather is playing havoc with the electrics, this is the second issue in my first month of owning it! Nice!

mr_penetrator
18-01-2010, 20:28
Mk4 scotty?

scottydog
18-01-2010, 20:39
Yeah mate. 1.8 turbo, bad experience?

mr_penetrator
18-01-2010, 20:43
I've got a V6, same gubbins though, 2001 car that I've had for about 6 years, engine management light's never been off. My mate who worked for them keeps turning it off, no error code either!

scottydog
18-01-2010, 20:48
I can believe it too. It came on a day after I got it. Looked in the book and that page corner is turned over! I want to try and get sorted before the warranty runs out but might this might not happen. Must be a common fault then

pikery
18-01-2010, 20:54
must be the weather as my abs has been comming on then going out after i stop and restart it it's a 1.8 t on a y

dmcarpman
18-01-2010, 21:22
normal vw problem for engine light is coil pack normaly give's a misfire for a bit then stops on first start up.
then also air flow meter starts to play up causing lack of power from first start up.
these have been known problems for bring light up but giving no fault.

advice_needed
18-01-2010, 23:26
cheers guys for all your help n info, does any1 know the best place or website to check the car history? as it is a 5 door but when i do a insurance quote it comes up its a 3 door, i done 1 check on it and it says it is not stolen, cat c or d, no outstanding finance, never been written off etc, but it has had a plate change in 04 to a private plate then changed back to its original plate in 05, guessing thats normal? as it has had 6 owners from new, maybe this has affected it when doing a search on it?

scottydog
19-01-2010, 08:20
Intresting what you say about the airflow meter ? my garage said it maybe that but he cant be sure and the part is a couple of hundred quid.

When you say lack of power, i have noticed on the recent cold mornings that when changing to 2nd for the 1st time i lose power and have to dip the clutch again and give it some gas to stop it conking out.

Phil_Appleby
19-01-2010, 12:07
Abs control units are common on all VW group cars, anything involving an air bag light, or abs or traction control light is normally down to this. It's a pricey repair, you have to fit a whole new unit, I know had to do it to a couple of cars. Not much change from 1200 I'm afraid lads.