PDA

View Full Version : fox gravitron braid

terry wogan again
18-01-2010, 14:47
has any one used this for a main line ?

Archie
18-01-2010, 14:54
I used it momentarily on a marker rod.

It is about as much use as a chocolate teapot, avoid it mate.

Bullet braid all the way for mainline.

terry wogan again
18-01-2010, 14:56
really is it that bad

Archie
18-01-2010, 15:01
yes Sir. almost like a silky weave, didnt like the cast, looks and feels inadequate, certainly would not use it over other braids on the market that are superior.

Even gave it a second chance as a leader material when i needed some on the hoof so to speak, rubbish, went out green, came back white.

Always a chance i had a 'dodgy spool' but i don't think so.

terry wogan again
18-01-2010, 15:04
what would you recomend

Archie
18-01-2010, 15:06
Nash Bullet braid mate.

terry wogan again
18-01-2010, 15:06
is it not very thick?

Archie
18-01-2010, 15:08
There are thinner diammeter braids available but for its ability to sink and be fished slack it is second to none in my view.

terry wogan again
18-01-2010, 15:09
ok mate thanks for your advice

Carlosk
18-01-2010, 15:26
Hello there mate, iv used this as a mainline too and have to agree that its not very good. The most common thing I had trouble with was on the cast. It would wrap itself around the butt ring alot, even if i soaked the spool before casting...Not good at all...Plus once you had hooked into a fish it felt awful as it ran through the rings on the retrieve....It made a horrible grating sound and felt like it was ruining my rods tip rings ...So Iv now re-spooled with Korda Adrenaline and im more than happy with that:clap:.......I do know use the braid for tying up some of my soft rigs though and its good for that.....I hope this helps..

rwoo
18-01-2010, 16:29
I'd also avoid Fox Submerge Plus like the plague. The only good thing about it is it sinks. Its abrasion resistance is pants, it casts terribly and is partial to a birdy or fifty. As has been said, use the Nash stuff for sinking braid, and for spodding or marker work, stick to the likes of power pro, fireline or whiplash.

rcp1
18-01-2010, 18:56
pure ****e .binned after two trips loads of wind knots and ring frap ups, Bullet Braid or power pro

Tree
18-01-2010, 22:35
Its the worst braid I have ever used and i've used them all.

Knot strength is very poor as well. It seems to eat into itself as you tighten it up. No matter how much you moisten the knot or how slowly you tighten it.

If you want a decent strong sinking braid use the Nash Bullet. You can't beat it. I can cast about 80+ yards with it.

If you want something for casting use Whiplash or Fireline. Just be careful because they float.

Waiting to find a decent sinking braid that you can use for long range work. Obviously casting not boating...

obo
18-01-2010, 22:40
ive started using it purely because the shop was out of gr500 or bullet and i love it casts like a dream the other 2 are pants for that but all 3 sink very well! Abrasion ok on all not great is if you get a slight nick in it its screwed pretty much! But im sold on braid so will change it all the time love it!

obo
18-01-2010, 22:44
and people always say about wind knots with braid ive never once had one my rule is keep it wet at all times dump your rods in the lake for 10mins then every once in a while stick a cup full or your spools it works!!!

exkingsmeadchef
19-01-2010, 00:46
I had the same Gravitron on my longcasts for years, 6 in all, 3 one way round then swapped it round for another 3. I only stopped using braid because I'm now on the river more often. This year I'm looking at getting back on a pit for a while so I will be going to braid again I think.....I tried bullet braid and hated it. I'm sure its perfect for short range slack line work but I use mono for that the braid is for good bite detection at range and I like it nice and tight at over 100yrds not a slack line at range kind of guy, horses for courses and all that.
I never had any problems with frap and the colour wash out was nowhere near as bad as bullet braid. Knots where never a problem and I gave it some real use over 6 years.

I reserve the right to change my mind if Gravitron is now rubbish because it was ALONG time since I bought mine and things change, it's a Fox product lol

mr_penetrator
19-01-2010, 06:56
Hello there mate, iv used this as a mainline too and have to agree that its not very good. The most common thing I had trouble with was on the cast. It would wrap itself around the butt ring alot, even if i soaked the spool before casting...Not good at all...Plus once you had hooked into a fish it felt awful as it ran through the rings on the retrieve....It made a horrible grating sound and felt like it was ruining my rods tip rings ...So Iv now re-spooled with Korda Adrenaline and im more than happy with that:clap:.......I do know use the braid for tying up some of my soft rigs though and its good for that.....I hope this helps..

adrenaline? and you're happy?

mate I put that trash on my reels for two nights and binned it. Found it to be difficult to sink, it stretches like pole elastic and has the abrasion resistance of PVA, never again.

guybaxendale
19-01-2010, 09:48
Sinking braid that casts well = Dynon SK

Tree
19-01-2010, 21:27
Sinking braid that casts well = Dynon SK

Have to get my self some ordered...

guybaxendale
20-01-2010, 12:14
Have to get my self some ordered...

Dont think you'll regret it.
Does not sink as well as Bullet braid but it sinks pretty well and it casts fantastically.

My only complaint was a defective batch I had once had which went straight in the bin.