PDA

View Full Version : bait rolling help please

muddy210
17-01-2010, 18:08
trying to roll some bait but not having a great deal of success.

boilies come out kind of square shape with a few round ones . have cut the nozzels down as desribed but the table just seems to slide them up and down without rolling tried making the sausage smaller and bigger but nothing seems to work i have tried 2 mixes and both seem to do the same thing about to give up before really getting started i am beginning to think the table is at fault i beleive it could be a badger table help very much appreciated

Boxy
17-01-2010, 18:09
Slosh a bit of salmon oil over the tables, just a light coating, maybe your mix is too wet?

pottsville
17-01-2010, 18:51
Are you firing them out very far? if its for the margins, just use them as they are...nice little edge varied sizes

plumber dan
17-01-2010, 18:59
Slosh a bit of salmon oil over the tables, just a light coating, maybe your mix is too wet?

or too dry

needs to be a bit like play dough i would guess:thumbs:

jdgeary1
17-01-2010, 19:00
You may be pushing down on the table to quickly when rolling. You have to sort of role and ease the table down or otherwise you will squash them before getting them gently in to a round shape.

The base mix could be too tacky as well, that may be another issue. Make sure its not sticky, it would be quite firm, not sticking to your hands, or add a bit more dry powder until you get it right.

Once you have the knack its simple really, it shouldnt be the rolling table as they are pretty much standard design.

You can also try a bit of sunflower oil or veg oil on the rollers as well to lubricate them, but it dosent sound as though this is your problem.

lyndon
17-01-2010, 19:04
I would say if to dry they will tend to split. This depends on the mix your using. If to wet then you will get a light coating of basemix left on the table which will indicate thats its to wet. I normally test my mixes by puling a bit off and rolling between the palms of my hands. If it makes a nice round ball then its fine, if you end up with an egg shape its to wet. Make sure your nozzle if bang on the right size as this could also be the problem. Always cut it to small and cut small slices off of it until your getting perfect baits. I normally push the nozzle into the end of the rolling table with both top and bottom firmly clamped shut. I mark the nozzle with a sharp pencil and then cut it about 2mm smaller than the mark. This allows for the mix expanding as it leaves the nozzle.

Keep at it you'll get there and will be very satisfied with that first fish on your own bait.

muddy210
17-01-2010, 20:10
thanks for the replys i will have another look see if i can get the knack very frustrating at the minute

Rumpel
17-01-2010, 20:52
Try rolling one sausage at a time.
Be careful on what oil you use at this time of year in baits.

lyndon has got it pretty much spot on with method.

wates
17-01-2010, 21:03
try putting your paste in a plastic bag in the fridge for 20-30 minutes before rolling
seems to help, but i can't remeber why, get mine rolled now

DannyB
18-01-2010, 07:02
try putting your paste in a plastic bag in the fridge for 20-30 minutes before rolling
seems to help, but i can't remeber why, get mine rolled now

Helps let some of the ingerdiant swell e.g.any semo thats in there
but I find it better to leave the mix in a bag/ bait bucket in the fridge over night for this same reason

chef32
18-01-2010, 07:47
a little trick I learnt is not to clean your rolling table
brush off any debris, but you tend to get a light oily slick which helps stopping it from sticking

muddy210
18-01-2010, 21:32
thanks for the further info gents ill try each one by one see what the problem is and let you know cheers

Lakeside layabout
18-01-2010, 21:40
At this time of year don't use Salmon oil to lube your Table,use Veg oil or what i use is Hemp oil.

harry total carper
18-01-2010, 21:55
i found hemp oil sorted it when i started very light just brushed a bit on

PLEASUREANGLER
18-01-2010, 21:58
Is there an instructional vid. on line, that shows the best way?

Lakeside layabout
18-01-2010, 22:03
When i started i had a mate who was very knowlageable,and he showed me a few tricks,but i also had a look on the interweb and did find alot of stuff about it including a fault finding section,but i can't remember where it was,just tap making boilies in google and see what you get,that's what i did

muddy210
20-01-2010, 14:19
gents as stated thanks for the info bought some base mix today and mixed up so it was exactly as described above and exactly as the instructions said. by ligtly pushing on the table when rolling i now am getting the baits as they should be ie ball shaped after the bait has been rolled i am storing them on a tray till i am ready to boil enough they are still slightly tacky and sometimes sticking together should i add a slight bit more base mix to stop this happening i think that the mixmay be slightly to tacky it rolls fine and leaves nothing on the table or on the hands when kneading it through

lyndon
20-01-2010, 20:14
Use a sieve and lightly coat the baits with basemix. Then roll them gentley around your tray and they will not stick together. It makes a slightly more messy job of boiling as the basemix mucks the water and pan up but it helps keep them apart. It depends on the mix your using as to wether adding more basemix to the baits prior to rolling will work as it might make then much harder to roll. Practice makes perfect.