PDA

View Full Version : Need a new camera but got some questions

nickthompson
02-01-2010, 16:38
I have finally given up on my old compact and want to get a new camera.

I would like to get a Digital SLR but not too keen on the whole changing lenses lark but most importantly not sure how it all works with self takes and also getting somoene else on the lake to use the camera to take pics. Is this not asking for trouble as they wont know how to use the camera?

I have see a samsung camera that looks good and seems to be a cross between a SLR and a Compact anyone know if its any good?

Samsung WB5000

Im looking at spending about 300 max

kirk,y boy
02-01-2010, 17:19
I have the Samsung WB1000 and it`s an awesome little camera, I sold my Slr for one of these, you can still choose your apperture and shutter speeds or use the typical compact settings which are very good :thumbs:

Darren1978
02-01-2010, 21:21
Nick, if you want to get a DSLR that is more familiar to most people i.e where you look at the rear screen rather than through the viewfinder, then get one with 'liveview'...that said, I'm not sure if there is a DSLR with that function on the market for the budget you gave got, I'm sure someone else more in the know on what cameras are available will be able to confirm one way or the other :)

If you can't get a DSLR with that function and still want to go down the DSLR route, if you get one that comes with a 'kit lens' then that will pretty much cover your basic fishing requirements thus meaning you won't have to keep changing lenses. As you get more accomplished you couldconsidet getting a 50mm f2.8 (or maybe even a f1.8) prime lens which is avery good fishing/portrait lens, as is a 35mm f1.8 prime.

Hope that helps :)

pottsville
02-01-2010, 21:29
Nick if you can stretch ur budget i would recommend the Lumix G1. has a flip round screen and a remote cable for self takes. costs about 400 ish plus the cable. i got mine through Fotosence and they were good

glennpompier
04-01-2010, 22:06
SLR great but big and heavy. I've got SLR and compact but don't bother taking the SLR fishing. For 300 or less you will get a nice camera. Have a look at the Panasonic Lumix range and maybe also the Olympus cameras.

willowsage
04-01-2010, 22:35
Nick, most dslr's have an auto setting, so basically point and shoot. I have a Canon Eos 350D and it could not be simpler. It comes with an 18-55mm lens which is fine for portrait shots.
As far as self takes go, there is a gadget available which allows you to set the camera up to take a shot after a preset delay, and then another every so many seconds up to a preset number of shots. I have one of these too, and beleive they are available for most makes and model of dslr, and a fair coverage of digital compacts. PM me if you want a more in depth chat mate.

mr_penetrator
05-01-2010, 08:56
Darren, Olympus E-410 has liveview for under 300 and mine came in a two lens kit, although just looked online and 369's cheapest I can find now :(

Blanker79
05-01-2010, 09:14
But yours has never taken a picture of a fish over 30!!!

mr_penetrator
05-01-2010, 09:23
It didn't crop Ron's head off when we last fished though, and if your bottom lip fits the frame, so will any fish ;)

colscat
07-01-2010, 21:43
i have a canon 450d its great for self takes, it can take 10 shots on self timer and if the flash is being used it recharges between shots so you have around 35/40 seconds after the first shot to the last