PDA

View Full Version : pros and cons of sony and olympus?

summers
29-12-2009, 16:31
hi guys looking for some advice.
im looking for a new camera and after much looking im thinking of going for an
olympus e600 or a sony alpha a 330..
len prices are not much different and i think i can live without the flip round screen.
any thoughts lads???

old git
30-12-2009, 19:49
Looked at the Olympus today mate, IMO thats what id go for. The flip around screen is a must for self takes mate, makes it so much easier.

Shrop
30-12-2009, 19:52
Can't speak for Olympus cameras, but I've got an Alpha and love it. Easy to use and takes decent images, even on auto; decent range of lenses, including 3rd party lenses such as Sigma and Tamron.

Benny_the_bream
31-12-2009, 00:09
Havnt looked at the olypus but have a sony A300 and absolutly love it the menus are very easy to use and all the settings you may wish to change quickly are readily available you can use minolta lenses of which there are loads on ebay if your on a budget also some of the old minolta lenses are legendary such as 35mm 1.4G and 100mmF2 etc which are almost a grand and mostly built in the 80's the sony high ebd lenses are some of the best around and have been the cause of many cannon and nikon owners switching over to sony.
The flash system is very advanced with all of the flashes working off camera without sync cords and radio triggers etc..
Did I mention the Carl zeiss and G lenses are the dogs.
I have had mine for about 18 months and would never change brands there is only 1 downside and that is that the high ISO performance is noisier than most I generally wont go above 400 and would only use 800 in extreme circumstances there are many free programs which will reduce the noise for you if required.
Your choice may be better as it is newer also the 500/550 is a LOT LOT better at high ISO.
The only other criticism I have heard is that customer support from sony isnt very good either but I have never had anything go wrong apart from a Tamron lens and they have been very good.
Search my posts on the digital photo thread all taken with my sony.
Also search dynax digital forums for what can really be done with the cameras.
Here is a link to pic on my website showing what can be done with the off camera flash all other pics on their are also from my sony.
http://benwarren.redbubble.com/sets/64825/works/4072738-1-ollie

Les_Paul
31-12-2009, 08:24
Both systems have their pros and cons but on the later generation of camera bodies noise is less of an issue at the highr ISOs. You might want to look at the finer points of the Olympus four thirds standard and decide if the differences are beneficial. They are primarily the x2 crop factor with the smaller sensor meaning your 200mm lens is actually 400mm, of course it means that you lose at the wide end so 14 mm is really 28mm. Is this beneficial to you? If you want reach for wildlife shots or sports then you have your answer.

Both systems have access to fine quality glass as Ben mentions the ability to use Minolta legacy lenses. With Oly you can also use glass from the past as well as present stuff plus it can be used on a micro 4/3 camera as well.

Not a great deal in really though if I was choosing now it would be the superb E620 from Oly for sheer bang per buck and a more established system, and also because they have very good customer service.

Icesmith
02-01-2010, 10:15
hi guys looking for some advice.
im looking for a new camera and after much looking im thinking of going for an
olympus e600 or a sony alpha a 330..
len prices are not much different and i think i can live without the flip round screen.
any thoughts lads???

is that the e620 i can't find a E600 on their website, I've always been a fan of olympus cameras.

summers
04-01-2010, 14:12
yer it was the e600 mate..
still looking just weighing up price of camera,how much extras are, and ease of use. my mate said save a bit more and get a canon eos 450 but think its more than i want to spend.. looking at 300/330.
thanks for the help so far lads.

glennpompier
04-01-2010, 22:00
Both makes are great. Good lenses on both. The Olympus water proof/shock proof one would be ideal for fishing.