PDA

View Full Version : What lense for your trophy shot?

pag1e
02-12-2009, 21:32
Hi guys
What size lense do you favour?

Mr_Bump
02-12-2009, 21:40
50mm and as low an aperture as you can get away with.

psl2708
02-12-2009, 22:17
Personally I favour a zoom in the region of 28mm to about 80mm. It does give some room for manoeuvre in tight swims.

Also if you have to entrust your camera to others you will find they are more likely to frame a shot correctly by zooming in/out than shuffling backwards and forwards on their knees with a fixed focal length lens.

A 50mm lens may be optically superior and give the least distortion, but as someone who takes photo's for a living trust me (unless you plan on blowing it up to bill board size) you will be hard pressed to tell the difference on your standard trophy shot. :thumbs:

mikeakabigman
02-12-2009, 22:38
Personally I favour a zoom in the region of 28mm to about 80mm. It does give some room for manoeuvre in tight swims.

Also if you have to entrust your camera to others you will find they are more likely to frame a shot correctly by zooming in/out than shuffling backwards and forwards on their knees with a fixed focal length lens.

A 50mm lens may be optically superior and give the least distortion, but as someone who takes photo's for a living trust me (unless you plan on blowing it up to bill board size) you will be hard pressed to tell the difference on your standard trophy shot. :thumbs:
Spot on advice, I totally agree

Mr_Bump
03-12-2009, 01:33

I dont entrust anyone else, I dont need or want to.

Tripod, measured distance, bulb release, job done.

If your camera is getting handed around then a zoom would be slightly beneficial but you will lose the shallow DoF a prime will offer unless your spending lots of money on glass.

Tuttifrutti
03-12-2009, 08:18
Have to say that I agree with psl2708 too. I knox exactly what you mean about the 50mm prime Mr Bump and as you say, in your own hands you know exactly how to get the best from it. I suppose it's all down to experience and confidence with a DSLR, which a lot have not got. I only use my 18-55 kit lens and get a very good shot (IMO). Sure, the depth of field is not the best but as long as I can get a crisp shot of the fish I dont care if the background is blurred or not. If need be I could set up and take the shot with the background 50 yards away to replicate the effect but dont feel the need. Would rather safeguard the clear image of my capture.

Oh and for those that have the software and tiny bit of understanding (I dont but like to tweak dials :)), try shooting in RAW and adjusting the white balance, tones, sharpness etc on your pc instead of going with JPG and letting the camera do a lot for you. Much more control over your final image :)

MartinJ
03-12-2009, 12:08
SNIP!

Oh and for those that have the software and tiny bit of understanding (I dont but like to tweak dials :)), try shooting in RAW and adjusting the white balance, tones, sharpness etc on your pc instead of going with JPG and letting the camera do a lot for you. Much more control over your final image :)

Absolutely, you have paid for this technology so use it for the best results.

Benny_the_bream
03-12-2009, 18:18
I use either my 50mm 1.8 or 18-70mm dependant on room in the swim
Always on a tripod with a remote release I have never given anyone my DSLR to use if they are lucky they can press the button on the remote.
Only way to gurantee you get the shot you want

camber
06-12-2009, 18:37
The one thing i have noticed over time with a SLR/fixed lens combo is... I haven't got the worry of the guy fiddling about with a zoom lens and im not able to spot which focal length they have chosen to use. The only thing left is making sure they are the correct distance away and fill the frame correctly.

When i eventually do go digital in the future, i think i would purchase a 35mm prime lens for taking trophy shots with, over a fixed 50mm prime or zoom lens. I have read a 35mm lens is around 55mm on a crop sensor.

Cheers.

colscat
07-01-2010, 21:59
i use a 50mm f1.8 it takes good shots and i no how far someone should be away from me so i fill the shot

richpearson
09-01-2010, 14:31
When i eventually do go digital in the future, i think i would purchase a 35mm prime lens for taking trophy shots with over a 50mm or zoom lens.I have read a 35mm lens is around 55mm on a crop sensor.

Quite right, although I believe newer DSLR's may of resolved this matter. I use a Canon 35mm prime lens with Eos 400D and get fantastic results when used by the right hands.

shane24
11-01-2010, 19:10
Quite right, although I believe newer DSLR's may of resolved this matter. I use a Canon 35mm prime lens with Eos 400D and get fantastic results when used by the right hands.

Only the Canon 5D Mark II & Nikon D700 have full frame sensors as far as i am aware. These 2 Cameras are both well over 2000 with lens' so out of reach for most anglers.
I have got a Nikon D5000 with 35mm f1.8 Lens, i have only recently got this setup so no trophy shots as yet but i am expecting some amazing results.

carp unit
12-01-2010, 19:42
I use the Sigma 30mm F1:4 prime lens on my 400D, cost around 300 a couple of years ago, probably cheaper now. Get some nice general shots from it but its slightly too wide angle for perfect trophy shots, nothing a little crop wont sort out though.

walker
16-01-2010, 19:12
Canon 17-40 F4 L, job done ;)

apples
18-01-2010, 13:26
Canon's 1Ds series and Nikon's D3 series are also full frame.. if you baulk at 2k with lens.. dont bother looking :)

24-105 F4 L.. IS and more reach for returners.. job done ;)

walker
18-01-2010, 13:44
24-105 is a great all round lens just find it a bit big for fishing.

I also wish I bought the 24 - 70 F2.8L instead :bonk:

shane24
19-01-2010, 15:14
Just pointing out that the increased focal length issue on APS-C sensors has not been rectified on most ''newer DSLR's''........only on the high to pro range Full Frame Bodies!
How many Carp Anglers really need a D3 or 1D for trophy shots?

walker
19-01-2010, 15:19
Just pointing out that the increased focal length issue on APS-C sensors has not been rectified on most ''newer DSLR's''........only on the high to pro range Full Frame Bodies!
How many Carp Anglers really need a D3 or 1D for trophy shots?

No one, would be a pointless overkill with no benefit.

If you own a 1D or D3 etc I'd say your a photographer who may use it for carp fishing, and it's just a small number of the total photographs you take.

walker
19-01-2010, 15:20
I use a 350D for fishing, plenty good enough