PDA

View Full Version : piking in floods

commonhunter86
21-11-2009, 17:32
is it worth fishing the river severn for pike and zander when the river is flooded and heavily coloured ?

quinny
21-11-2009, 17:38
I woud say no.

finbarr
22-11-2009, 13:07
not for pike but zander are a possible.look for slacks but depends as theres floods and then theres ark time!

rhornegold
28-11-2009, 17:07
Funny, last year when I was Zandering, on a Lake in Flood condition, with an inlet to The river Ouse and I only caught Pike.

I might have to have a re-think when it comes to Piking in Flood conditions ?

Bob

curly_wull
30-11-2009, 09:05
In general I would say that its not worth fishing any river for pike when its in flood but it can be well worth fishing anywhere out of the main flow.
Rhornegolds experience is classic. I know of a couple of rivers that have side streams or drains that pike move into when the main rivers up. These offshoots are often very shallow but flood water changes that and the fish pile in to get out of the flow, also I believe that the extra water opens up feeding opportunities for prey fish and pike always follow these congregations.

There is a famous one on the Severn but I don't know where or its name but it has produced decent fishing for many years.

JV44
30-11-2009, 10:21
Caught loads from the Thames whilst its in flood but the important thing apart from finding the obvious feeder streams /big slack areas is that the river has to have been up and coloured for a constant period of time at least a week probubly 10 days imo ,shared 25 Pike and some Big Perch on top in one 5hr sesh once in these conditions and yet we had fished the same spot 5 days earlier without a touch.
Think that the preyfish get into these bits quickly in the floods followed by the preds who just seem to take a while to get used to all the grit going over there gills/water clarity and depending on any salt washed in as well but once aclimatised they feed with gutso and the timing thing is the key to success in these conditions,Just a few days to early and nothing but even a couple of days later if they have switched on and bingo.
Most of the Pike i have taken in these conditions have been to lives that are stacked into the slacks so normally fairly easy to catch and they work as thats what the Pike are in that area for ,just my experience mind Steve.

blankmeister
02-12-2009, 11:12
is it worth fishing the river severn for pike and zander when the river is flooded and heavily coloured ?

I reckon it's one of the best times, find the slack areas and drop your baits in. It the river stays up and coloured for a few days but you're not catching in the slack areas, try dropping a few halved or quartered sardines (they're cheap from the supermarket) into each likely looking patch of slack water on the stretch every other day while the water is still up and coloured. Then go back and fish these same spots while the level is dropping but the water still coloured. You'll have pike practically crawling up your rods.

Me and my lad baited up a slack area behind some overhanging willows like this last back end while the river was flooding. When we fished the spot we had over a dozen pike including 5 doubles and 2 20's.