PDA

View Full Version : Winter hotspots

uk400
09-11-2009, 15:57
Im looking for good areas for this winter the lake has pritty consistant depth of 5ft with a few deeper areas and shallower areas i heard that deeper areas are better through winter but also i herd that the shallower areas are better could any one tell me wat spots to look for?
Thanks Josh

kathrynshubby
09-11-2009, 15:58
If you know where the weed beds are in summer, start there mate. Died off weedbeds always done me proud in winter.

And the corner of the lake that gets the morning sun first, have a look there, regardless of depth :thumbs:

jdgeary1
09-11-2009, 16:00
Hi, I think its a misconception about the deeper spots being better in winter. I think its more a case that they may be a little warmer in the early part, due to thermoclines, but the shallow water will warm up quicker if there is any mild spells or sun.

You may want to start by finding out which part of the lake has the sun on it first, as that may be a starting point for where fish will hold up, although the lake could hold other features such as overhanging tree's with deep margins, snags, islands in the lake, these may also hold fish, dependant on varying weather conditions, cold winds etc.

Either way, just enjoy the quietness of the banks whilst it lasts, as it can be a nice time of year for peace and quiet.

kathrynshubby
09-11-2009, 16:09
Totally agree :clap:

wembley
09-11-2009, 20:01
No two lakes are the same but the middle of the lake is often a good area to try in the winter.

retro
09-11-2009, 22:54
personally i don't think there's any difference in winter to summer,they may not be as active as in summer but they are still very active,what you'll perhaps find is the feeding spells are shorter though more predictable.One water i've fished is so predictable in winter is beggers belief.They're caught with regularity in the middle of the east bank(shallows)(first to get the sun) in the morning and gradually work their way down the lake.The successful anglers will fish 3 swims a day.
Just try the same approach until you start to get action,a pattern should soon emerge.
Another tip is fish relatively tight lines with very light bobbins and fish for liners,once you get a liner or 2 slack the lines down.

Cooperman
10-11-2009, 09:08
Dead weedbeds = food store

South facing side of islands = a place to warm up during the day

Deeper water = more consistent temps during longer cold spells

Shallow water = a nice place to go after long cold spell

Snags = safe area

Middle of the lake = piece and quiet

All of the above will be used at some point during the winter, it will all depend on weather, angling pressure and numbers of fish in the lake.

NicB
10-11-2009, 10:08
Yep obviously not set in stone, but as a general rule I totally agree with the above.