PDA

View Full Version : Canon SX1 or G11.

Goose777
08-10-2009, 12:45
Anyone know which would make the better self take camera ? not into photography just looking for an out of the box camera to stick on a tripod with an air release for self takes that will last a good few years and take good pics without any messing about and both of these seem to fit the bill but which is best ?

Les_Paul
08-10-2009, 18:52
No real issue here, the G11 has a full tilt and 360 degree live view screen and a customisable self take timer so that covers pretty much everything you might want. Self take images are simplicity with this type of set up. If you set up a custom mode you can save a setting to be a default for night time pictures which means quick fast and good images and the fish out of the water for the minimum of time.

This is before you add the sheer versatility of what the G11 can offer!

Tuttifrutti
08-10-2009, 19:02
No real issue here, the G11 has a full tilt and 360 degree live view screen and a customisable self take timer so that covers pretty much everything you might want. Self take images are simplicity with this type of set up. If you set up a custom mode you can save a setting to be a default for night time pictures which means quick fast and good images and the fish out of the water for the minimum of time.

This is before you add the sheer versatility of what the G11 can offer!

Shoot me down in flames if i'm wrong Les but hasn't the SX1 got all those features you mention too (plus a far better zoom range and a vastly superior movie mode to it's predessors)

Les_Paul
09-10-2009, 16:22
Shoot me down in flames if i'm wrong Les but hasn't the SX1 got all those features you mention too (plus a far better zoom range and a vastly superior movie mode to it's predessors)

Yes I think it has, and the movie mode does have a higher quality setting. The G11 though has a remote control option not sure the SX1 does. What puts me off the SX1 is the poor EVF viewfinder, the noise effects and NR artifacts in images at 80 ISO plus when the camera is set at 100 ISO the detail is taking a fair hit from the NR. Not to mention the metering which is known to clip highlights.

The SX1 has 28-560 zoom lens compared to G11 28-140. Clearly the SX1 will deliver range at the cost of image quality, and this is shown to be true with higher levels of CA and purple fringing from the SX1 lens. Up to the OP to decide as if he is not into photograpghy then the SX1 may suffice though it looks a larger camera and will save him some money. Out of the two cameras the G11 seems the more compelling option as it is quality over quantity.