PDA

View Full Version : Deep hooked Pike!!!

gegsy
05-10-2009, 17:47
I hooked two pike last week on the Thames, both fish had traces down in their stomachs, the line had snagged on the teeth and cut off,.. Please if you are fishing for Pike hit them straight away... No waiting for them to run with it Cr**p!! I managed to remove one of them, but the other one had almost swallowed the swivel. :nono2: :nono2: :nono2: . Numptys be aware!!! swallowed traces mean dead Pike!!! :mad:

jimikill
05-10-2009, 18:06
anyone on thei site, ok there are a few numptys mainly on the non angling section, but the rest should know this.
Unfortunatly this sort of thing is caused by novices n kids, were you close to a town center?

mr_penetrator
05-10-2009, 18:24
Carry a John Roberts deep throat disgorger, they've been around long enough

jimikill
05-10-2009, 18:42
THATS NOT THE POINT!!!

HIT THE RUN EARLY

if you tell kids to carry a deep throat disgorger thei'll leave it late thinking they can get away with it.

When i was 7 i caught my first pike, when i got the take, i thought i wana make sure i caych this so left it, result, the jack pike died a few hours later.

Ive never forgoten how awfull i felt

glider64
05-10-2009, 19:04
It`s a real shame that inexpeience causes this sort of thing another item to carry is a pair of small bolt cutters (can`t remember thier proper name) then if you get a really agressive pike take rather than pull it`s guts out cut as much of the trace and hooks as possible ,i think this may even be in the rules

mr_penetrator
05-10-2009, 19:22
Glider, side cutters.

Jimi, in 20 odd years of piking (12 exclusively), I'd class myself as experienced and still have had a good few deep hooked, A JR disgorger has been a godsend so yes, IT IS THE POINT, striking early isn't 100% safe

jimikill
05-10-2009, 19:22
definatly really strong forceps, the long nosed ones in angling shops are for the most part no good, def agree with cutting hooks, much better than messing around trying to unhook.

gegsy
05-10-2009, 20:00
I was at Sunbury weir, where I see alot of guys fishing 2 rods to a man, 3 in a boat!! I personally fish with one rod switching between lures and deads/lives. I don't see many kids.. One of these traces was grey like titanium... kids aint gonna buy that!!

mr_penetrator
05-10-2009, 20:06
There's a lot of idiots that try piking mate, it's to do with the myths. Any park lake has a dog eating croc in it for starters, Joe public will tell you!

As for care, I carry a bit of an armoury. long handled long nose pliers and normal ones, long handled side cutters and normal ones, JR disgorger and an array of forceps inc small ones that can be clamped over points on flying trebles if need be.
On the occasions that I use a glove it's a cut down black marigold to retain feel.

gegsy
05-10-2009, 20:08
Glider, side cutters.

Jimi, in 20 odd years of piking (12 exclusively), I'd class myself as experienced and still have had a good few deep hooked, A JR disgorger has been a godsend so yes, IT IS THE POINT, striking early isn't 100% safe

Mr Penetrator
I too have over 20yrs of experience, and yes you are right hitting early will not eliminate deep hooking... knowing how to unhook in these circumstances however, reduces the likelihood of a dead pike. Catching 2 on the trot with hooks down near their ar5e5 is out and out neglect!! You and I know that would not happen to us. My point is if you donít know how to go about catching or handling Pike, go with somebody who can.

mr_penetrator
05-10-2009, 20:15
And your point sir, is entirely agreeable ;)

gegsy
05-10-2009, 20:17
I thank you!! :thumbs:

sidsnot65
06-10-2009, 13:08
i think farnham angling have the right idea in which you have to attend a pike handling class before you are allowed to fish for them on their waters . if more clubs adopted this approach it would help no end . i have lost count of the amount of times i have seen people pike fishing with inadequate tackle . a lot of people seem to think because they have a mouth full of teeth , they can handle a bit of abuse but as we know they are probably our most delicate fish

glider64
06-10-2009, 16:35
side cutters, thanks mr P knew it was something like that

joe_h
11-10-2009, 09:47
why do trebles have to be used?

i admit i am not an experienced pike anlger but why not use one large hook??

Neil_D
11-10-2009, 14:48
One large single hook would be a very inefficient method when using baits larger than say 4-5 inches in length. The problem of deep hooking is usually (but not always) caused by poor bite indication or the angler deliberately letting the pike run too long before setting the hooks.

glider64
11-10-2009, 15:03
That`s the real problem people leaving it too long to strike , i had a small jack around five pounds yesterday as soon as the float went under i took it and the hook was nicely caught in the mouth and not deep down, what many people forget is pike can be agressive when feeding and the bait can be deep inside purely from the attack

Hippy
12-10-2009, 11:44
why do trebles have to be used?

i admit i am not an experienced pike anlger but why not use one large hook??

One holds the bait on, whilst the other two sit proud - it's impossible for both hooks to rest against the bait as is possible when using doubles

FishingTom
12-10-2009, 13:20
I attended the FAS Pike Teach-in, it was very good and very informative.

I did not agree with some of the points they made but on the whole they dispensed very good sound advise.

It is open to anyone who wishes to attend, you do not have to be a member of FAS, i think there is one course left sometime in November, if you ring the Creel in Aldershot they should be able to advise you on when and where it is.

I for one wish every club did something along these lines, it may just save a fish or two and not just pike either!

MikeLyddon053698
16-10-2009, 12:00
Remember a day piking on K1 a couple of years ago, had quite a few fish to mid doubles, and everyone didn't even move the drop off or even sound the alarm, the only indication I got was I could see the line vibrating where it entered the water.
This was fishing braid and only about 2 rod lengths out.
Almost all of them were hooked well back in the mouth, I hate to think what would have happened if I had been sitting back waiting for a run :(

MartinW
16-10-2009, 12:15
For the ultimate in bite indication on still waters you really can't beat float-ledgering. With the float 'half-****ed' you can virtually see every touch/nibble.

MartinW
16-10-2009, 12:16
damn auto-sensor!!

How can I not say 'half-c ocked' :bonk:

robhale
03-12-2009, 11:50
i think farnham angling have the right idea in which you have to attend a pike handling class before you are allowed to fish for them on their waters . if more clubs adopted this approach it would help no end . i have lost count of the amount of times i have seen people pike fishing with inadequate tackle . a lot of people seem to think because they have a mouth full of teeth , they can handle a bit of abuse but as we know they are probably our most delicate fish

It's open to members and non-members too! Would hole-heartedly recommend it to anyone - even if you've been fishing for a few years. Advice is given and checks done on your tackle, plus, the real benefit is the use of live pike - not a demo for you to watch - you actually handle the fish, learn how to do so correctly and how to unhook the fish and return safely.

I've seen even experienced Pike angler's learn from it (although there's normally some who will protest as they've been Pike fishing for XX years). Still definately a good exercise.

Tight lines

Rob

lyndon
03-12-2009, 12:05
It's open to members and non-members too! Would hole-heartedly recommend it to anyone - even if you've been fishing for a few years. Advice is given and checks done on your tackle, plus, the real benefit is the use of live pike - not a demo for you to watch - you actually handle the fish, learn how to do so correctly and how to unhook the fish and return safely.

I've seen even experienced Pike angler's learn from it (although there's normally some who will protest as they've been Pike fishing for XX years). Still definately a good exercise.

Tight lines

Rob

I have to agree it is well worth attending, I too have to question somethings they say. But on the whole a well worthwhile experience.

fullback
16-12-2009, 22:03
all cutters etc a must in all tackle bags
teach ins would help on club lakes as carp boys do

wizardo
29-04-2010, 22:41
There's a lot of idiots that try piking mate, it's to do with the myths. Any park lake has a dog eating croc in it for starters, Joe public will tell you!

As for care, I carry a bit of an armoury. long handled long nose pliers and normal ones, long handled side cutters and normal ones, JR disgorger and an array of forceps inc small ones that can be clamped over points on flying trebles if need be.
On the occasions that I use a glove it's a cut down black marigold to retain feel.

Some good suggestions. I also tend to use a "surgeon's kit" when piking. One point that someone made was that shop forceps are not too good and they're right. Proper forceps that are used in hospitals, quality that lasts a lifetime and they work. Incidentally, not aware of the JR disgorger, I'll have a look for this on the internet. If I can't find it, then I'll get back to you.

wizardo
29-04-2010, 22:46
Some good suggestions. I also tend to use a "surgeon's kit" when piking. One point that someone made was that shop forceps are not too good and they're right. Proper forceps that are used in hospitals, quality that lasts a lifetime and they work. Incidentally, not aware of the JR disgorger, I'll have a look for this on the internet. If I can't find it, then I'll get back to you.

Twigged it now, sorry to be so dim, John Roberts disgorger - didn't get on too well with it. Maybe that I had an old design or my incompetence!

lyndon
30-04-2010, 06:49
The design is still the same only difference is they are made of plastic now not metal like the old ones were. I don't get on with them but still carry one for those desperate moments when its all going pear shaped. Rare but still happens to the best of us occasionally.