PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone caught a decent size eel this year ?

smokey 1
24-09-2009, 16:13
After joining Wrasbury 2 and having some decent session's producing eels up to 2lb 14 oz I am wondering if I should try another venue for next eel season. Water temps dropping have seen me blank a good few nights in September. Whilst most sessions in August produced around six fish a night averaging around 1 lb 10 oz. All fish caught on lob worms and I religiously fish a small dead bait as well but the dead baits did not produce anything.

As per the thread title where have, if any decent size eels been caught this summer ?

cheers

Smokey :D

Tug
24-09-2009, 19:22
Barry McConnell's 9:02 springs to mind :clap:. At least one targetted 8 out of the Colne Valley and a few 5's & 6's to NAC members...

rhornegold
25-09-2009, 07:30
Gary Newman- 8lbs 2ozs- caught by design, in this weeks Anglers Mail.

Very well done mate

Bob

The_Saint
25-09-2009, 08:44

Very well done mate

Bob

read that piece last week, huge eel, great pics apart from his beard!!!!!

wraysbury 2, i always did better during the autum on this lake with October being the best with still warm water and long nights producing the best catches especially as the eels are feeding up for the winter

Tug
25-09-2009, 11:17

Very well done mate

Bob

Wasn't aware it had made the paper yet -well done Gary :clap:

StewartJ
25-09-2009, 11:29
Is there a critical point / date at which eels stop feeding and fishing for them becomes a waste of time?
Asking becuase I've got access to a water that has thrown up a couple of 4 and 5lb ers but I kind of thought I'd missed my oportunity to fish for them this year....
Any thoughts guys?

MikeLyddon053698
25-09-2009, 11:46
I'm surprised you never had any joy on W2 using deadbaits, I used to get my pike baits destroyed by the eels on there :confused:

guybaxendale
25-09-2009, 11:53
Eels were still pretty active on Tuesday & Wednesday nights when I was catting. Right pain in the Ar4e on both worms and deadbaits.

smokey 1
25-09-2009, 13:41
I'm surprised you never had any joy on W2 using deadbaits, I used to get my pike baits destroyed by the eels on there :confused:

Not one run from them Mike, I have done around ten nights on there now and as I said always fished a dead bait on one rod. Maybe the smaller eels will have a go for dead baits during the day but the bigger ones just seem to leave them alone at night.

Smokey :)

smokey 1
25-09-2009, 13:44
Eels were still pretty active on Tuesday & Wednesday nights when I was catting. Right pain in the Ar4e on both worms and deadbaits.

Whereabouts where you fishing?

Smokey :thumbs:

Tug
27-09-2009, 19:13
Is there a critical point / date at which eels stop feeding and fishing for them becomes a waste of time?
Asking becuase I've got access to a water that has thrown up a couple of 4 and 5lb ers but I kind of thought I'd missed my oportunity to fish for them this year....
Any thoughts guys?

Still a bit of time left, particularly if this weather holds...

Hitchy
30-09-2009, 15:58
3lb+ the other night, not by design may I add but he went back ok.

Hopefully the slippery bug ger is on route to the Sargasso as we speak

exiledbarbelman
30-09-2009, 17:57
I haven't had an eel in months, thank god!!!

StewartJ
01-10-2009, 15:06
Hmm, thanks Tug. May just have a little go for them in that case.

joe_h
01-10-2009, 15:44
is there a pic of gary newmans 8 anywhere?

rhornegold
02-10-2009, 05:40
Last Weeks Anglers Mail ?

onamission
02-10-2009, 08:24
Local club water near me has done a 7lb'er in the last couple of weeks. Think it has been out twice.

Dave Smith
07-10-2009, 15:03
2lb odd maybe three....

you could do with a lesson in handling though...

mfs1
08-10-2009, 11:47
Tobyace

I assume from the tackle in your eel picture that you are carp fishing, and the eel was an accidental capture. I also assume that you do not photograph carp suspended from your terminal tackle, but treat them with respect, lovingly cradleing them in a nice soft unhooking mat, photographing them with care, and returning them unharmed to the water. Please treat the next eel that you catch with similar respect. Visit here: http://www.nationalanguillaclub.co.uk/unhookingandhandling.html for a guide to handling and unhooking before you go out again. The difference between a good angler and the rest is the respect with which fish are treated.

onamission
08-10-2009, 20:41
Well said mfs1!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lawman
09-10-2009, 01:14
Much derided our humble eel...
Seen a few bigguns taken on the Kennet, best 6.8.

(Tug, a brief chat on B**y in the corner, Hope you're well fella.

Ian

Kiwimaggotdrowner
10-10-2009, 08:05
I,ve caught a few up to 10lb over winter here.
But I have a huge one who has been harrassing my keepnet and Carp baits when ever I but a worm or prawn on ,same scenario alarm go,s of slowly I strike into a brief fight before my hooklink (10lb)gets chewed through leaving a bit of rough line.
This summer I am going to target it with a steel trace have noticed quite a few of the small Tench a missing the fin behind their gill(not sure what thats called) presumably from an eel ambush.
One of the top eel baits here is liver marinated in a small amount of keresone in a jar for a few weeks.
If any of you eel fanatics want to come down to New Zealand to catch a monster Pm me and I will point you in the right direction.

mfs1
10-10-2009, 10:14
Hi Kiwi

Do you mean Kerosene, and does it really work? - sounds fascinating!

StewartJ
10-10-2009, 19:44
Agree 100% with mfs1 - that's a truely shocking picture.
Please treat everything you catch with the respect it deserves

Kiwimaggotdrowner
11-10-2009, 00:40
Hi Kiwi

Do you mean Kerosene, and does it really work? - sounds fascinating!

Yep Kerosene although some use WD40 not very pleasant to use but it draws eels in from a long way off.
Also a good eel attracter here is Worm casting liquid off your Worm farm pour in a couple of litres of that and you have snakes everywhere.

mr_penetrator
11-10-2009, 05:58
Bang on mfs!

I had a 4:04 from Petersfield heath while piking about 15 years ago and while it was on the mat two little scrotes that were fishing along the bank wandered down, conversation was a bit like:

Scrote - Got one mate?
Me - Yes mate, nice Eel
Scrote - Why's the f*****g thing on your mat
Me - It's a fish
scrote - No it's not, it's a f*****g Eel
Me - It's a fish mate, and a big one at that.
Scrote - Is that your biggest fish?
Me - Erm, yeah if you like
Scrote - I had a 12lb carp
Me - *Silent pause while considering explining that a 4 pound eel was a better fish*.....that's nice
Scrote - What ya gonna do with that?
Me - Put it back
Scrote - It's a f*****g Eel, kill it
Me - Do you have any idea how old it is?
Scrote - Don't give a f**k, I'd have killed it

My mate who had said nothing - And I'd have killed you

Scrote 1 and 2 walk off

I had a mid 20 pike later on and they walked down again, but stopped short after seeing my mate's glare.

Why these fascinating creatures are so hated I don't know, I personally think their life is remarkable.

And for the Eel anglers out there that are in Hants, Petersfield heath and both big and small Hatchet ponds have given me 4 pound plus Eels, in daylight hours too.

Kiwimaggotdrowner
11-10-2009, 06:34
The one that has been tearing holes in my keepnet traumatising the Rudd inside would have to go 20lb any chance of keeping that on a unhooking mat would be futile its more like survival trying to remove the hook.

The_Saint
11-10-2009, 07:33
flipping heck, that is one hell of an eel, any chance of any more pics?

toby
11-10-2009, 15:58
Gents please don`t think of me as some kind of soft lunch, i do know how to handle fish, and for what its worth i actually found this pic on my phone from some geyser fishing BURTON MILL POND, a few years back, he asked me to take this pic of him as he was camera less.

eel boy
11-10-2009, 19:48
yeh had a 5 lb ell this season:clap: :D :lol:

yorkshirepud
12-10-2009, 06:46
there used to be loads in river tees but otters soon made a meal of them hardly see them now

Dave Smith
15-10-2009, 15:50
Gents please don`t think of me as some kind of soft lunch, i do know how to handle fish, and for what its worth i actually found this pic on my phone from some geyser fishing BURTON MILL POND, a few years back, he asked me to take this pic of him as he was camera less.

with respect if he'd been handling a carp in a similar manner would you have taken the photo...?

toby
16-10-2009, 09:41
with respect if he'd been handling a carp in a similar manner would you have taken the photo...?

I fully respect what you aren trying to say Dave but before you try to make me out to be a non caring barbaric heathen fisherman on an open forum please think again

Miserableoldgit
16-10-2009, 11:00
I fully respect what you aren trying to say Dave but before you try to make me out to be a non caring barbaric heathen fisherman on an open forum please think again

Sorry but I have to agree with Dave on this one .......... a picture paints a thousand words, however, no need for the words as you posted the picture:mad: .

Personally I would not have taken the picture ......... that eel is probably close to 20 years old and deserves much more respect.

toby
16-10-2009, 11:59
FORUMS FORUMS FORUMS, They are all the same too many people with too many opinions who are all too quick to make somebody look stupid on an open forum without knowing the true facts, i have already sent DAVE a pm explaining the situation and if i have do the same to anyone else i`m more than happy to do so, but i do have a business to run and a family to look after.

Mick barnes
16-10-2009, 12:20
Toby, i agree with the anglers comments on here about the photo you have put up, if the guy did not know how to handle fish correctly, then you should of educated him in the correct way.

The picture should in the first place not of been taken at all as it does show angling in a bad light, however, if it had been taken years ago before we all gained knowledge that a fish is a fish and should be treated with respect no matter what the species, then this should of be made clear.

toby
16-10-2009, 12:39
I came onto this forum, to ask for advice on Carp fishing as i`m fairly new to it all and to date the info i`ve been given by certain members has been fantastic and spot on, i totally understand how the picture may or has caused some bad feeling and for that i can only apologise, what i do find a shame is that rather people openly give me grief on an open a forum a pm might`ve been more appropriate, it will now be quite hard for people to give me advice when all they now think is that i don`t give.

Which may i hasten to add is not the case.

Dave Smith
16-10-2009, 16:27
Toby,

thanks for the PM... I partly understood until you mentioned not commenting on an open forum. maybe you're a little naive, but if you post comments or pics on an open forum then you will recieve comments back on an open forum.

If your situation was as you say, if I'd been in your position I'd have continued walking.

mfs1
16-10-2009, 17:33
Toby

I dread to think what the re action would have been if you had posted a similar picture of a carp suspended from a rig in the carp section. There would have been little time for pm's then, or even the gentle chastisement that you have recieved in these posts. Them carp boys would have hung you out to dry (probably literally, from the nearest tree!). The point of open criticism of the pic is to educate others, so don't take it personally.

Regards

Mark

toby
16-10-2009, 17:52
Appreciate that Mark, there are two points that i was trying to make, 1. it wasn`t me, 2. the photo was taken a few years ago, if i knew then what i knew now i would`ve had a word with the bloke.

Kiwimaggotdrowner
25-10-2009, 01:04
Went for a carp fish today for some huge Grassies up to 70 pound mark but the eels were everywhere.