PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a picturesque river near London

Andypalf
08-09-2009, 12:40
I wonder if someone can help. I'm looking to find a nice river to fish which is in a nice setting within an hours drive of West/South London. Preferably on a cheapish club ticket or something similar. Not too fussed about what the quarry is, just the usual river stuff that can provide a good days angling on the right day.

Cheers

Paul_the_Bailiff
08-09-2009, 12:45
Loddon.
Kennet.
Mole.
Wey.
Thames.
St. Patrick's Stream.
Colne.

All have stretches within an hour's drive.

gloucesteroldspot
08-09-2009, 13:14
The Gade at Watford is free from just downstream of Gade Avenue (where the Metropolitan Line crosses) all the way up to where it comes out of the canal at the top end of Cassiobury Park. Most of that stretch is fairly attractive, though naturally you'll get dog walkers, joggers etc. Plenty of chub, dace, roach and perch, with a few carp at the upstream end.

You'll have to scale down your tackle though; tiny floats, light lines, small hooks and a softish float rod. It's only a couple of feet deep mostly, and fairly clear (runs over chalk).

Chris63
09-09-2009, 08:04
Don't forget the Cemex stretch of the Arun - might be 1 1/2hrs from you depending where you are but worth the trip. Chances are you won't find anone else on it.

As it's tidal it can be challenging but the rewards are there. Good Chub, Bream, Carp, (Barbel but I didn't tell you), Roach and loads of silver fish. You occaisionally get Mullet in there to, and don't forget the Sea Trout runs.

FishingTom
12-10-2009, 13:12
Paul the Bailiff has it spot on, i fish a good few of those rivers and they are excellent.

FTFC
12-10-2009, 18:02
A mate guested me on the Colne last week.
It is run by Bath road angling club.
Lovely bit of river. I had a 5lb barbel and my mate had two 7lb barbel and a chub.

TwoBobIG9
15-01-2010, 14:32
i only fish the roding near me,pm me for some swims if you want.