PDA

View Full Version : New Canon G11 has flip screen!

Les_Paul
19-08-2009, 21:27
Canon have just announced the G11 which has flip screen, this is their top level compact camera. Interestingly they have also dropped the megapixels from 14mp on the G10 to 10mp on the new G11 thus will hopefully avoid the megapixel mush at higher ISOs that was evident on the G10. I think thats a brave and intelligent move by Canon and the second chink in the silly megapixel war after Oly said 10 mp was enough recently.

link

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09081908canong11.asp

Tuttifrutti
19-08-2009, 22:25
Looks a tidy bit of kit Les. Not sure i'd choose it overmy SX10 though. Seem to be much the same but different style although the zoom on my SX10 is over 3 x the G11s.

Does the G11 have a remote with it (may be a clincher for many users). Cant see one on the info.

Did make be chuckle with this bit though...
Scene modes
Portrait
Landscape
Night Scene
Sports
Night Snapshot
Kids & Pets
Indoor
Sunset
Foliage
Snow
Beach
Fireworks
Aquarium
Underwater
Color Accent
Color Swap
Stitch Assist

Christ, by the time you've decided which mode to go with and found it on the camera the moment would have gone right into the next year ;)

I'm sure it will have it's following... The Gs are very popular :)

Tuttifrutti
19-08-2009, 22:26
I do like the case though... very nifty :)

http://a.img-dpreview.com/news/0908/Canon/G11/Powershot-G11-w-SC-DC65-BLACK.jpg

Les_Paul
20-08-2009, 00:51
No cant see any mention of remote release, I would imagine that the flip screen and self timer option would get around most difficulties in a self shoot. Whats interesting is the 2 stop improvement in dynamic range plus anti noise options, this cameras IQ at 10 mp could seriously challenge DX format DSLRS, and it looks to be a seriously good low light performer if you check the specs.

I know what you mean about all the scene modes, that is way too much automation for me and I would certainly swap the lot out for a remote release option! Never use them on my G7.

Certainly looks a compelling option.

mark2002
20-08-2009, 05:39
my g9 is 12.1 megapixels so they have been droping them for a while although hich pixel count doesnt really mean there good as its the lense that really counts

tenchtamer
20-08-2009, 07:13
might seem a spurious point to make ........but whats happened to the design team on the G series.....the recent G cameras are MUNTERS.......also any idea on rrp.

BACON
20-08-2009, 08:33
might seem a spurious point to make ........but whats happened to the design team on the G series.....the recent G cameras are MUNTERS.......also any idea on rrp.

569 is the list price!!

Tuttifrutti
20-08-2009, 09:25
569 is the list price!!

Thought that was a typo at first but i'm assuming it's just cheaper in the US of A for a while to start with :(

Recommended price
$499

Surely no idiot woud pay 569 for a point & shoot :rolleyes:

guybaxendale
20-08-2009, 09:34
Looks like it has the custom self-timer like the S5
I like the look of it - Pricy though.

Les_Paul
20-08-2009, 09:50
I did see that initial price on dpreview so the street price I would guess will be a less, after a few months I would imagine chop a oner off that price as that is the amount W.E. are giving in freebies if you stump up the full amount now!

Think you might be surprised at how many people will pay for one of these thats a lot of camera in a small casing that fits into a jacket pocket, and if the IQ is up there with mid range DSLR and you do not need the sheer brute performance of DSLR then its a better option even than a bridge camera. Without a doubt this is Canons response to the Olympus EP1 just released which is flying off the shelves and costs even more!

Ginster
20-08-2009, 10:45
There's no remote in the picture of the box contents and I can't see a receiver on the front of the camera, so my guess would be a no.