PDA

View Full Version : first D SLR

Blonde_Tim
18-08-2009, 10:39
Hi all. tried a search, few things came up but seemed to be a few years old.

am looking to get a DSLR, first one i've had.

obviously want it mainly for fish shots. but alos have enough features for me to start to experiment with it too. poss a flip screen for self takes?

not too sure about budget, probably towards the lower end of the spectrum.

thanks in advance

Tim

PS, am off to Hong Kong mid september. i know lots of electrical goods used to be cheaper over there, is that still the case? if so i guess its probably worth getting one over there?

upperoilcan
18-08-2009, 10:46
Tim never heard of let alone seen a DSLR with a flip screen,Take a look at the Canon 350d,an entry level DSLR but form what i have heard good all the same......or if you can stretch a bit further go for the Cannon 450d,i have the latter and it's a great bit of kit..........

Most DSLR'S have similar features until you get to the top end of the market mate.....also have a look at the Nikon D series as these are also good camera's.........

Comes down to personal preference ie wether you like Canon,Nikon and so on mate.

Mark Fullbrook
18-08-2009, 10:48
Hi all. tried a search, few things came up but seemed to be a few years old.

am looking to get a DSLR, first one i've had.

obviously want it mainly for fish shots. but alos have enough features for me to start to experiment with it too. poss a flip screen for self takes?

not too sure about budget, probably towards the lower end of the spectrum.

thanks in advance

Tim

PS, am off to Hong Kong mid september. i know lots of electrical goods used to be cheaper over there, is that still the case? if so i guess its probably worth getting one over there?

To be honest, its more about first picking your manufactorer and then deciding on the camera.

Personaly, I use Canon (and always have -even when I had a film SLR) but I hear FANTASTIC stuff about Nikon and am very tempted to move over.

Once you choose your make, then its time to decide which option. Most of the vendors out there have a range of camera's to suit your pocket. For amateur photography, I wouldnt spend too much, I'd go mid-range if possible. I would save as much as I can for lenses and accessories.

The more you pay for a lens, the better it will be. I would reccomend a multifunctional lens - something with some zoom in it. Somethign like 70-200which is great for portrait shots and some wildlife photography etc.

Then I would invest in a wider angle lens, like a 16-35 which is lovely for more artistic stuff...

I would also get an off camera flash unit.... and a tripod... and a good camera bag..... and a couple of good books.....

You see.. it all adds up!! :rolleyes:

Mr_Bump
18-08-2009, 10:49
There are a couple of flip round DSLRs now, forget the makes though.

For carpy shots a 400D with a 50mm will be all you want.

Hippy
18-08-2009, 11:30
I'd strongly suggest the EOS range - there are a lot of EOSs around the carping scene, so a good chance your photograpgher will know how to use it on many waters...

Mark Fullbrook
18-08-2009, 12:44
I'd strongly suggest the EOS range - there are a lot of EOSs around the carping scene, so a good chance your photograpgher will know how to use it on many waters...

Excellent point....:thumbs:

Mark Fullbrook
18-08-2009, 12:45
There are a couple of flip round DSLRs now, forget the makes though.

For carpy shots a 400D with a 50mm will be all you want.

The Canon 50mm (also commonly referred to as the NiftyFifty) is on of the best lenses for on the market.

For 60 you can get a 50mm 1.8 lens which turns out some of the best shallow DoF shots that I have ever seen.

Have a good look through the photo thread to see some of them, or check Flikr for the Canon 50mm group thread and see there....

Tiny
18-08-2009, 13:03
be warned... its addictive!

i went down the road of buying a second hand Nikon D50.. then you start looking at remotes, tripods, lenses, flashguns...... the list goes on.

might be worth thinking about getting a good second had one as a starter.. get more camera for your money as long as its not been abused

Mr_Bump
18-08-2009, 13:09
The nifty fifty is exactly what I was thinking off, currently nearer 80 quid though.

Buy a body and that lense, the kit lense is ok but you will end up replacing it.

Then get a 50-250 or a 70-200 for longer stuff.

Darren1978
18-08-2009, 13:16
Photography, like fishing, is definitely not a cheap hobby! I reckon I've spent close on 2k since May 2008 :eek:

Also, once you have refined your search for a dslr, get yourself down to your local camera shop and try them out in store....get a feel for them and see how they physically feel in your hand and how easy the commands/dials are to operate and so on, its time well spent. Plus if you go to a shop that has decent staff, they'll offer you advice etc :)

darran
18-08-2009, 13:18
Look no further than a Eos400/450... even the kit lens is plenty good enough for fishy portraits.

A 30 quid remote from ebay takes all the fuss out of bulb releases, remote controls etc etc... as you set a time for it to start shooting, interval between shots and number of pictures. Most important factor is that it focuses between shots which is the normal problem for self portrait photography with digi slrs.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aputure-Timer-Remote-C1-for-Canon-1000D-450D-350D-R8A_W0QQitemZ370245763956QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pho tography_DigitalCamAccess_RL?hash=item56345e0374&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262#ht_2411wt_1167

darran
18-08-2009, 13:19
Ps. Bump - what 50mm lens do you use? I thought you needed a digital 30mm lens to get the same focal length of the older style canon lenses produced for the film cameras?

Mr_Bump
18-08-2009, 13:46
Canon 50mm 1.8 as mentioned above.

It will be equivalent to an 80mm lense on a full frame camera but it isnt an issue.

For the money its probably the best glass out there.

Tuttifrutti
18-08-2009, 14:28
The only fully flip screen one out there that I know of is this one...

http://www.ukdigitalcameras.co.uk/prod.asp?i=5650&gclid=CMPw0I-1rZwCFZgU4wodJh8biw

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1

It's relatively new so dont know much about it. he deal on the link gives you a very nice lens to start you off portrait-wise but I did hear that as this is such a new camera there are not many other lenses to fit it as yet.

Me personally, i'd go 2nd hand and try and get something like a Canon 450D or 500D and as others have said, a nice zoom lens. I have the 18-55 kit lens and will get a longer zoom later (my camera is the 450D). A lot of folk knock the kit lens but a lot of it is really about understanding how to use your equipment. Check out my few shots on Page 44 of the Digitial Photo thread, especially the Rotty. I've had plenty of crap shots as I dont know what i'm doing but that proves how crisp the lens can be when you get it right.

If you found a bit of gear with a camera, 18-55 (or similar) and 70-200 (or similar) lenses then you'd have plenty to keep you busy

Blonde_Tim
18-08-2009, 14:34
thanks for all the advice lads....

lots to learn :) (and spend!! :eek:)

any idea on a rough price for a second hand eos400/450/500?

many thanks again!

upperoilcan
18-08-2009, 15:39
Tim...sign up to this........ http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/

and keep your eye on the classified's as many camera's pass through here.

Also a great site for nearly everything to do with photography.:thumbs:

KennyB
18-08-2009, 15:45
I am an EOS user. Have been for years…

But to be honest, my next camera will be a Nikon. They are a better camera these days.

I think they do a reasonable entry level DSLR now too.

Shrop
18-08-2009, 16:22
If you are looking for a flip-round SLR, you are looking at mega-bucks... As before, loads of recommendations for the big name entry level stuff, Canon EOS, Nikon D40/60, I've just recently got the new Sony Alpha A230 and am chuffed to bits with it.

mr_penetrator
18-08-2009, 17:43
Only advice I can give is from my own mistake. If you want to get into photography involving different lenses then check your choice of camera's compatibility with other makes. My olympus uses four thirds technology which makes lenses bloody expensive due to lack of manufacturers, Olympus and Sigma being all I can find!

Mr_Bump
18-08-2009, 19:06
Canon or Nikon for lense choice, the rest have less variety and higer costs.

Shrop
18-08-2009, 19:13
What about Minolta lenses Bump?

N_Jonesy
20-08-2009, 16:55
Im interested in getting a DSLR myself, the only thing that concerns me is that my friends will not know how to use one and i'll end up with naff shots. Will it be easy to briefly show a pal how to use it, or will I be better of with a 'bridge' camera, such as a G10 etc.

Tuttifrutti
20-08-2009, 17:02
Im interested in getting a DSLR myself, the only thing that concerns me is that my friends will not know how to use one and i'll end up with naff shots. Will it be easy to briefly show a pal how to use it, or will I be better of with a 'bridge' camera, such as a G10 etc.

You can still use a DSLR in auto mode if all else fails. If others dont know how to use it then set it all up ready for the shot, put it on a tripod, frame yourself and then set the self timer and get your mate to just click the button for you. That way, you've got settings how you want and also avoid camera shake :)

N_Jonesy
20-08-2009, 17:38
Oh I Hadn't thought of that actually.

Have you any experience with a DSLR in auto mode? Just wondered what the quality of the shots are like, as it will deffinitely be easier and quicker if I could get someone too run a few shots off.

Tuttifrutti
20-08-2009, 17:59
Oh I Hadn't thought of that actually.

Have you any experience with a DSLR in auto mode? Just wondered what the quality of the shots are like, as it will deffinitely be easier and quicker if I could get someone too run a few shots off.

TBH auto mode should never really be used on a DSLR. The whole reason for getting one is to be more adventurous and creative and that can only be done in the other modes. I'm sure auto will do a good enough job with your trophy shots but with experience you can do a whole lot better.

Les_Paul
20-08-2009, 19:37
The Olympus 620 DSLR 498 for the body is Olys latest camera released recently and has a flip out screen.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-olympus-e-620-digital-slr-camera-body/p1030918

It got a superb review here

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse620/

The Olympus lenses are the Zuiko glass and some of the best out there though slightly more costly and slightly less options though their kit lenses are probably class leading. One other advantage of the 4/3 system is the x2 crop factor of the sensor which means if you put a 300mm lens on it you effectively have 600mm in old money. The con is at wide angle where you lose out and depth of field is not as shallow as Nikon or Canon. This camera is easily comparable to anything made by the others in the same range.

Benny_the_bream
20-08-2009, 20:18
I have a sony A300 please look at the sonys as they have some very usefull features.
Like in body stabilisation which basically means when using longer lenses you can use slower shutter speeds and you dont have to shell out on more expensive stabilised lenses.

You can use minolta AF lenses which are some of the best lenses around.

Carl Zeiss and G lenses are absolutly stonking and there is a trend for Cannikon users to switch now just for these lenses.

I would go for one of the older A300 A350 or A200 as a beginner as they are very simple to use with very intuative menus.

Also the older ones listed use compact flash which Sony stupidly replaced on the newer ones and compact flash is bullet proof.

The kit lens you get is 18-70mm which has a wider range than most kit lenses.

you can get some minolta lenses cheaply like a 70-300mm for about 70-80 quid while you wait to see and save for upgrades.
Also the lenses hold their value really well and as sony is becoming more popular the prices are actually rising.

There is only one slight downside to sonys and that is high ISO noise well high compared to Nikon but there is plenty of really easy to use software for it but to be honest I have never found it a problem and easilly good enough using ISO 400 which I very rarely need to go over.

I use a couple of dedicated sony/minolta forums which I can PM you if you want to take a look ask questions etc..

phil555
23-08-2009, 12:41
Hi Tim,

I'm a canon fan at the mo. I use the 50d as well as the 40d as a back up camera but recently i've been trying my 50mm 1.8 lens for fishing with moderate success. Here's a pretty mirror i had last night.

Cheers.

Phil.
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo215/Phil-555/IMG_2724.jpg

phil555
23-08-2009, 12:43
And here's one i had from K1 using the 50mm 1.8. Both pics were using the 580ex flashgun as well.

Phil.

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo215/Phil-555/IMG_2031.jpg

darran
23-08-2009, 15:02
What aperature are you using on your 50mm? Im guessing that your not using it on 1.8 with that depth of field?

Do you find you need that camera quite far back on a fixed 50mm lens with a digital camera or not?

Thinking of getting a fixed 50mm myself.

phil555
23-08-2009, 15:20
Hi Darran,

I find that the camera is too far back. sometimes i use my 24-70 2.8 lens which is alot closer. I do alot of my photography in manual mode. the pics above were taken in manual mode with a shutter speed of 160th and aperture setting of 7.1 with the external flashgun set on manual at 1/4 power.
I haven't tried the 50mm during the day yet or at min aperture at 1.8 yet.

Phil

Tuttifrutti
23-08-2009, 18:20
with the external flashgun set on manual at 1/4 power.

Excellent picture Phil. I'd be quite happy with them for night shots mate :)

Thanks also for the flash setting, that's interesting. What type of angle do you set the flash at. I'm assuming you're not aiming directly at you so maybe 45 degrees up or something?

darran
23-08-2009, 19:06
Hi Phil - cheers for that. I did think that a fixed 50mm on a digi body might be abit of a gamble... still nice pictures anyhow.

With a touch of cropping that first scaley shot would be great.

phil555
24-08-2009, 12:34
Excellent picture Phil. I'd be quite happy with them for night shots mate :)

Thanks also for the flash setting, that's interesting. What type of angle do you set the flash at. I'm assuming you're not aiming directly at you so maybe 45 degrees up or something?

The angle of the flash was pointed directly at me, the 1/4 power setting gave me 4ft so with the 50mm so far away i think the flash only just reached.Next time out maybe experiment some more.

Phil.

Mark Fullbrook
24-08-2009, 14:18
Can you have red-eye reduction in Manual mode? I havent got my camera with me at the office but looking at the photo (lovely pic by the way) you do seem to have the issue of Red eye on the fish when pointing the flash straight at you.

I guess the only option is to use the Red Eye Reduction or somehow bounce the flash?

Mark Fullbrook
24-08-2009, 14:38
Just noticed that this is addressed in the other thread. Sorry.

thicky
24-08-2009, 16:06
Tim never heard of let alone seen a DSLR with a flip screen,Take a look at the Canon 350d,an entry level DSLR but form what i have heard good all the same......or if you can stretch a bit further go for the Cannon 450d,i have the latter and it's a great bit of kit..........

Most DSLR'S have similar features until you get to the top end of the market mate.....also have a look at the Nikon D series as these are also good camera's.........

Comes down to personal preference ie wether you like Canon,Nikon and so on mate.

Flip round screen...There is one m8....Olympus E3......