PDA

View Full Version : Zander Rig

Rupe
14-07-2009, 14:41
Hi - Going to be having a crack for a zander on the Thames. Probably fishing half bleak deads or similar. Any suggestions on best rigs - I'm assuming something along the lines of freelined a single size 10 treble and 15lb wire?

I'd be interested to see if anyone has any suggestions in terms of what features to look for too.

Hippy
14-07-2009, 14:46
Mark Barret has a book out, which should be worth a look, and Pike and Predators mag is worth a looksee too.

Hippy
14-07-2009, 14:47
Ps, I'd personally think about a free roaving live, as that'll give you a chance of perch too?

Paul_the_Bailiff
14-07-2009, 14:51
Small ledgered deads or lives on a low resistance rig incorporating a big bore run ring.

Rupe
14-07-2009, 15:33
Cool - I'll stick one one each maybe.

I'm aware of a few spots that produce zander - what's the consensus on their distribution on the lower - are they pretty much throughout?

markbarrett
15-07-2009, 07:03
Mate completely forget the free lining thats a recipe for deep hooking. Largish lead free runing with size 8 or 6 trebles depending on bait size will do the trick for legering lives or deads, but Hippy's right a free rovers a bloody good way of catching them, especially this time of year.

Rupe
15-07-2009, 08:31
Thanks for the advice. I was only going to fish a freelined bait a rod length so out, so I wouldn't have thought deep hooking would be a problem.

I'm assuming the free roving liveo is best fished on a float then for similar reasons to the above?

markbarrett
15-07-2009, 08:39
Err yes, you werent thinking of free lining that were you?

The problem is with freelining mate is that they can sit and eat it on the spot, and you wont get any indication, particularly likely with the bigger individual fish. Also dont get suickered into believing that tiny baits are best. They are great if you want to catch schoolies all night long, but bigger baits are more selective, 4oz - 8oz are best in my opinion.

tonystone
15-07-2009, 09:42
Rupe,

Would be interested in what areas you will be targetting mate, I live in the same area as you, and would love to catch a zander.

PM if you prefer

exiledbarbelman
15-07-2009, 19:00
A top Thames Perch fishing mate has had quite a few around Teddington. Some bigguns too!
There, that'll teach the booger not to buy my beloved Speedia from me in one of my weakest moments!

xdantempx
02-09-2009, 17:21
sit up with the bung and night light on and drift it down if pos then have a statick bait ,defo on a running rig light as poss as they with shy away from any resistance.........

trust me iv had loads...lol