PDA

View Full Version : speed boat on the thames

catchin
02-07-2009, 22:06
Just wondering if any body has had the same problem as me along the Thames between Kingston and Hampton ct, twice I have had my lines caught by a small black very fast speed boat that seems to appear at around 11.30pm, very loud and always heads upstream towards moseley lock then dissapears. Have had it come within 4/5ft from the bank!!

watto
02-07-2009, 22:12
Did you get the name of the boat?

jdgeary1
03-07-2009, 08:41
Report it, should only be doing a max of 5 knots

westallc
03-07-2009, 11:10
isnt it the amount of wake you produce rather than the speed??

also i have seen this before a few years ago always very late... last time i saw it was at kingston bridge being done by the river police

RobThomo
03-07-2009, 11:11
Rig a nice bit of rope netting and snag the knobs prop up

EDIT- Unless its the river police in which case rig up said net and then hide!

whitetoby
03-07-2009, 17:20
has anyone had any problems with the white speed boat along the desborough late at night

nogbert jalfrezi
03-07-2009, 18:42
We went down to the tidal in the richmond area on Wednesday evening .a dark motor boat sulks around the half tidal stretch aound 10.30pm ish. It always seems to navigate close to the bank - last season it caught a couple of lads line and their alarms screamed, they screamed blue murder at the boat and were sooo angry. They must have used all the swear words known to man Defo the same boat.

Earlier that evening lots of boats were going along taking advantage of the tide. We took extra special notice of the boat with the 4 girlies in their skimpy bikinis. :D

tight lines,

nogbert Jalfrezi

donkey choker
04-07-2009, 08:37
has anyone had any problems with the white speed boat along the desborough late at night

White toby
Everybody who fishes that area will have probs with that c*cks*ck*r, been up to the same trick of getting round the back of the Halliford Loop and gunning it up and down the river for years now. I`ve reported him but obviously no action taken, probably a case of them having to catch him in the act. Also got done twice by a sh*t in a motor boat a little farther upstream last week once upstream and then on the way back down motoring about a rodlength out from the bank, even with backleads he got me:mad:

D.C.

curlybob
04-07-2009, 15:10
Look forward to meeting these people,,lol

exiledbarbelman
04-07-2009, 15:43
A well timed 'pult full of maggots will cause the ******* no end of grief, as they dissappear into the bilge, to emerge en masse as bluebottles , over a surprisingly extended period of weeks.
Speed limit on the Thames is 8 knots, or approx 10mph. You are required also to not create a large wake (yeah right!) and to treate other river users with curtousy and respect.
I used to work as a boatman for the old Thames Conservancy and our patrol boats were based at Molesey Lock, where the District Inspector's office was also. Might be worth a visit, especially if you can get the boat's name. I don't know if boats have to display registration numbers these day, they never used to.
Oh yeah, a misplaced 4oz lead can get the A-hole's attention too. Good luck Thamesters.

exiledbarbelman
04-07-2009, 15:46
so we're not allowed to use the proper English word for illegitemate offspring, as in the dictionary???? That's censorship at it's most ridiculous extreem!!!!!

catchin
04-07-2009, 15:47
Never caught a name on it, always hear it then see it when its to late. Its very fast..... nearly had them with a method feeder once!!

curlybob
04-07-2009, 16:44
Baiting spoon full of "offerings"

whitetoby
04-07-2009, 19:35
low level wire across the desborough i think

mooreha
04-07-2009, 20:56
Look forward to meeting these people,,lol

You mean minus heads??:lol:

pob
05-07-2009, 15:56
if you hear him coming film him with you phone as most have camcorder facility these days then show that to the right people

1 day they will pick up a line with a nice wieght on the end imagine that spining around the prop at 100 mph would smash it to pieces

catchin
06-07-2009, 18:36
Would love to get a picture of it, unfortunately it is jet black , small and has no lights.. Theres normally just one or two on it, dont think it would hold more than that?? Some Interesting solutions to look at though :bonk:
Will be up that way again in a couple of weeks so will have the camera (and baiting spoon) at the ready.......

smilersmiles
07-07-2009, 19:30
me an my bro have been to ham -petershame an sofare we have been snaged both times messing our line up but seems to me not many boaters have respect for us fishermen. its like they do it on perpus

mooreha
07-07-2009, 22:51
Will be up that way again in a couple of weeks so will have the camera (and baiting spoon) at the ready.......

Take plenty of maggots. Just the job.:lol:

Paul_the_Bailiff
08-07-2009, 14:21
A well timed 'pult full of maggots will cause the ******* no end of grief, as they dissappear into the bilge, to emerge en masse as bluebottles , over a surprisingly extended period of weeks.
Speed limit on the Thames is 8 knots, or approx 10mph. You are required also to not create a large wake (yeah right!) and to treate other river users with curtousy and respect.
I used to work as a boatman for the old Thames Conservancy and our patrol boats were based at Molesey Lock, where the District Inspector's office was also. Might be worth a visit, especially if you can get the boat's name. I don't know if boats have to display registration numbers these day, they never used to.
Oh yeah, a misplaced 4oz lead can get the A-hole's attention too. Good luck Thamesters.

They have to display the registered name but no number.

Thamesman
14-07-2009, 23:24
As a point of interest, the speed limit on the non-tidal Thames is 8Km (just under 5mph), and not 8 knots as previously posted.

exiledbarbelman
15-07-2009, 14:35
It used to be 8 kts when I worked the river, seems it went all bloody French, like everything else.

nogbert jalfrezi
15-07-2009, 17:50
Fished the tidal last night when the half lock gates were open, some tart in a flash speedboat came rearing down the river really close in (about 2 rod lengths out) We shouted at her as she saw us on approach.
Later on that evening as the tide was turning she came back down and made no attempt to steer out.
This tme she was met with a barrage of sloppy vitalin balls. about 8-10 hit the target.
I never knew my mate knew so many swear words. We were frothing but satisfied.
Her boat was a mess.
good riddance.

tight lines

Nogbert Jalfrezi

exiledbarbelman
15-07-2009, 18:57
One of the rules of navigation on the Thames , at least above Teddington, is not to intrefere with other users enjoyment of the river. The way I see it, if the prats insist on driving that close through your swim, as you "happen" to be putting bait out, TOUGH TITTY!

nogbert jalfrezi
15-07-2009, 21:16
they have no consideration to any other river user.Should get penalty points on their licence for speeding!

dont get mad get even.:lol:

tight lines,

Nogbert Jalfrezi

curlybob
17-07-2009, 18:58
Top man.

DannyB
22-07-2009, 07:14
They have to display the registered name but no number.

Thats A :lol:
when theres no one to inforce it any more you might as well bash your head :brick:

TonyWicks
23-07-2009, 17:21
Guess we found the speed boat culprit.....Griff Ryhs Jones:D