PDA

View Full Version : Cat Hooklinks

RobV
03-06-2009, 12:32
Hi,

Can anyone recommend any coated braids that have really good abrasion resistance other than Quicksilver? Specifically any mainstream ones such as Sufix or is Quicksilver in a different league.

Rob.

guybaxendale
03-06-2009, 15:19
Depends on what size cats but Pallatrax snaglink (30lb bs) and Suffix super stiff silt (25lb bs) both look like they should be up to the job - I have bought some of both to experiment with this season.

RobV
03-06-2009, 15:26
Thanks Guy, much appreciated.

daveaylett
03-06-2009, 15:53
The fact that just about every cat angler recommends Quicksilver for braided hooklengths would suggest that, yes, it probably is in a different league when it comes to abrasion resistence etc.

I know i'd never use anything else thats currently available (even if it was given to me FOC)....

RobV
03-06-2009, 16:04
Dave, thanks for your input I guess for real peace of mind there is no alternative. Would you also say that Catpro hooks are in a different league, and that again there is no real alternative?

The fact that just about every cat angler recommends Quicksilver for braided hooklengths would suggest that, yes, it probably is in a different league when it comes to abrasion resistence etc.

I know i'd never use anything else thats currently available (even if it was given to me FOC)....

sam
03-06-2009, 16:12
gardners new vigilante snag leader / cat hooklink in 45lb is very abrasion resistant. as for hooks, the eagle waves take a lot of beating.

**sam**

guybaxendale
03-06-2009, 16:14
gardners new vigilante snag leader / cat hooklink in 45lb is very abrasion resistant. as for hooks, the eagle waves take a lot of beating.

**sam**

Sam - You have a pm

RobV
03-06-2009, 16:25
Thanks Sam, will check it out when it's released.
The Eagle Wave's certainly seem to be highly recommended :notworthy:

**sam**

daveaylett
03-06-2009, 16:55
Rob

Whilst i wouldn't say the Catpro hooks are in a different league, i can say i've used the BP (boilie pellet) hooks for all my static bottom baits (meat and fish) for the last two seasons and wouldn't use anything else at present.

To me,they are the right shape,very very strong and ever sharper- which is unusual for big hooks.

Its like everything, if you are confident in what you are using you are almost home and dry.....

RobV
03-06-2009, 18:10
Funnily enough I was looking at the BP's as I was primarily going to be using pellets and boilies so you've helped me make the decision. My mainstream alternative would be the Fox Series 2 XS, very similar pattern and well recommended but I suspect the Cat Pro will have the edge.

Thanks again.

Rob.

Rob

Whilst i wouldn't say the Catpro hooks are in a different league, i can say i've used the BP (boilie pellet) hooks for all my static bottom baits (meat and fish) for the last two seasons and wouldn't use anything else at present.

To me,they are the right shape,very very strong and ever sharper- which is unusual for big hooks.

Its like everything, if you are confident in what you are using you are almost home and dry.....

daveaylett
03-06-2009, 18:43
Rob

You won't be dissapointed with the BP's.As i've suggested, certainly not just suitable for boilies/pellets (i don't use em),but also for meat and fishy static bottom baits

Be aware, however, that they are small for the sizing.

If it helps, i use either 3/0 or 4/0's for my catting.

ATB Dave

The Doc
04-06-2009, 06:26
I've been using 45lb quicksilver and 40lb catlink kevlar and not had any problems with the cats. The runs have been coming 50:50. The problem is when using fish baits, you can't avoid pike picking them up and these materials will not stand up to pike's teeth. Has anyone come up with anything that will?

I appreciate the need for the rules to protect the cats but what about the poor old pike? At least one of the Cemex cat waters has some decent pike in it and I fancy a few sesions this winter. I can live without trebles for pike, but not without wire. Unless somebody can come up with an acceptable alternative, it would make sense to allow wire in the winter months when very few cats are caught anyway.

RobV
04-06-2009, 09:12
Will bear that in mind, thanks. The fox 2XS's are similarly small. Good to know they are also suited for other baits.
By the way what's the ATB stand for?

Rob.

Rob

You won't be dissapointed with the BP's.As i've suggested, certainly not just suitable for boilies/pellets (i don't use em),but also for meat and fishy static bottom baits

Be aware, however, that they are small for the sizing.

If it helps, i use either 3/0 or 4/0's for my catting.

ATB Dave

guybaxendale
04-06-2009, 09:24
I've been using 45lb quicksilver and 40lb catlink kevlar and not had any problems with the cats. The runs have been coming 50:50. The problem is when using fish baits, you can't avoid pike picking them up and these materials will not stand up to pike's teeth. Has anyone come up with anything that will?

I appreciate the need for the rules to protect the cats but what about the poor old pike? At least one of the Cemex cat waters has some decent pike in it and I fancy a few sesions this winter. I can live without trebles for pike, but not without wire. Unless somebody can come up with an acceptable alternative, it would make sense to allow wire in the winter months when very few cats are caught anyway.

Have a look at Canelle Supratress or Pro Leader both are soft braid type bite proof leaders that should pass the wire ban.

The Doc
04-06-2009, 10:00
Cheers Guy, will give them both a trial.

guybaxendale
04-06-2009, 14:48
Cheers Guy, will give them both a trial.

I have a funny feeling they are the same material marketed differently - I have never had them side by side though.

Rez
05-06-2009, 12:07
I have landed 9 cats up to 25lb in a night on the same 25lb Merlin hooklength! It did frey a little but I would quite happily use it if I ran out of Quicksilver.

RobV
05-06-2009, 13:26
Thanks Rez.

I have landed 9 cats up to 25lb in a night on the same 25lb Merlin hooklength! It did frey a little but I would quite happily use it if I ran out of Quicksilver.

daveaylett
05-06-2009, 14:28
Will bear that in mind, thanks. The fox 2XS's are similarly small. Good to know they are also suited for other baits.
By the way what's the ATB stand for?

Rob.

All The Best (ATB) mate.........

RobV
05-06-2009, 14:35
I can't believe I didn't decipher that myself, of all people I should know :bonk: :o

All The Best (ATB) mate.........

Peddars
18-06-2009, 12:53
Had a result on Monday night, my 2nd night of the year, 36lbs :clap: :clap: :clap: ... BUT ...

I notice that the mouth was lightly cut up. Whether that was from my hooklink, or the one that it was trailing will never be known but would rather be safe than sorry, so

Can anyone recommend abrasion resistant hooklinks that are also considered to be "safer" for the fish.

Thanks loads in advance, and will take on board any comments.

:thumbs:

guybaxendale
18-06-2009, 15:50
Had a result on Monday night, my 2nd night of the year, 36lbs :clap: :clap: :clap: ... BUT ...

I notice that the mouth was lightly cut up. Whether that was from my hooklink, or the one that it was trailing will never be known but would rather be safe than sorry, so

Can anyone recommend abrasion resistant hooklinks that are also considered to be "safer" for the fish.

Thanks loads in advance, and will take on board any comments.

:thumbs:

What were you using?

Peddars
18-06-2009, 23:16
I was using some generic "braid" but don't know exactly what it was, just some leftovers in the box. To be honest never expected to fluke quite so early on.
If there are some makes/brands that people consider as cat "safe" would appreciate a steer in the right direction.

TOPSPODDER
10-07-2009, 15:27
I always use 45lb quicksilver and have never had any problems.