PDA

View Full Version : Eel Rigs

TonyWicks
18-05-2009, 16:52
Had a nightmare of a session this weekend, managed to hook and land three eels but had so many missed bites. Was using a very simple running rig, 10lb mono straight through to a size 4 barbed hook and a 1oz grippa lead. The bait was rudd head, cut just behind the pectoral fins and hooked through its mouth and out of the top of the head.
The missed bites were a lift of the bobbin but then it would just drop, I got the feeling there was to much resistance for the eel to take the bait confidently but on occasions the rudd head had been half eaten.

Any ideas how to hook more of these bites?

QTpie
18-05-2009, 17:26
I don't think there is a sure fire way to hit more of the bites seeing as you need to strike as soon as a bite is registered it's pot luck whether the eel has taken the bait in or is dragging it from behind the hook especially using a running rig set-up. I like you used to fish running rig's but there is now a school of thought for using a bolt rig set-up and catfish type rig's , the latter i'm trying at the moment the reason i like it specifically is that the eel has to rise off the lake bed to grab the bait it then swims backwards and hooks itself it's a great method as i think you are near enough gaurenteed to get a mouth hooked eel :thumbs: On another note did you notice if the eels were the broad mouth type as it could be that they could be more predominantly small mouthed , i'm still learning myself and having a great time with the trial and error :D

bulove
18-05-2009, 17:46
thats eel fishing for you... expect full blown belting runs and when striking nothing on the end.... use open bail arm on extreamly light bobbins that drop off.. no friction running rigs.. and you should pick up more fish... but they are tricky little ******s....

TonyWicks
18-05-2009, 18:51
On another note did you notice if the eels were the broad mouth type as it could be that they could be more predominantly small mouthed , i'm still learning myself and having a great time with the trial and error :D

Thanks guys, yeah have heard that you could get two different head type of eels, I'm I right in thinking its to do with the type of enviroment they live in?
These eels, are in a freshwater rife around a mile or so from the sea, its mainly clay with coloured water and depths of 3-4ft. The only other species are carp and thousands of stunted rudd, hence my thought of rudd head as bait.

Interesting you say about bolt rig, always read the opposite, will be something to try out.

QTpie
18-05-2009, 19:02
Going on what you've said i would say that your use of a small rudd is spot on m8 ,as a yardstick a 3-4 inch bait is about the norm for deadbaiting for eels :thumbs: I have pm'ed you some link's to some great info

soupdragon
20-05-2009, 21:51
tony , have a look at fishing the dyson rig for off the bottom fishing ,also as long as resistance is constant you should be all right , what lenght hook links are you using and what are you using as hook link material ?

Olly1
21-05-2009, 09:22
I always feel the heads are too hard for them to eat but easy to chew.
Rudd tails on the other hand are softer and (like pike) easier to swallow.

TonyWicks
21-05-2009, 17:11
what lenght hook links are you using and what are you using as hook link material ?

No hooklength material, just 10lb mono straight through to the hook with a float stop and bead set 8-10 inches back.

I always feel the heads are too hard for them to eat but easy to chew.
Rudd tails on the other hand are softer and (like pike) easier to swallow.

I did think of using the rudd tails, just did'nt feel confident finding a hooking point that would hold on the cast?

krisg
26-05-2009, 19:06
use worms

Dave Smith
31-05-2009, 08:17
Tony, use a small piece of rubber band to keep the bait on, you could also thread the bait on.

Tim1
01-06-2009, 05:16
Could use the tail, hook in root plus pva, or a flick of rig that pike anglers use for tough baits like mackeral so the hooks are lightly nicked in the bait,

Kiwimaggotdrowner
01-06-2009, 07:00
One that came visiting on the weekend while I was fishing for Tench in a quarry lake.(New Zealand)

Tim1
01-06-2009, 15:09
Nice pic, how big do thay go in NZ please

Dave Smith
01-06-2009, 15:48
http://www.zandavan.co.uk/images/eel28.jpg
quite big!

I've heard of them to over 60lb if my memory servers me correctly.
the one above is high doubles.

Tim1
01-06-2009, 17:07
Wow, fascinating creatures, thanks,

Kiwimaggotdrowner
01-06-2009, 17:23
Yep thats right the biggest I have heard of went 74lb most of the ones we accindently catch go 8lb to 12 lb.
The one in the picture would have been around 7lb .

Dave Smith
02-06-2009, 15:41
the one in the picture is more than double that!
Barry (pictured) and Pete have had them to 19lb. can't remember the exact weight of the one in the pic but I think it's 16 something.

theres some more pics on http://www.zandavan.co.uk most of them are European eels to 7.04 though. with the odd Kiwi and Oz Eel thrown in (plus one or two double figure Zeds.

Kiwimaggotdrowner
02-06-2009, 18:28
the one in the picture is more than double that!
Barry (pictured) and Pete have had them to 19lb. can't remember the exact weight of the one in the pic but I think it's 16 something.

theres some more pics on http://www.zandavan.co.uk most of them are European eels to 7.04 though. with the odd Kiwi and Oz Eel thrown in (plus one or two double figure Zeds.
I,m talking about the picture I posted not the one of the guy holding the eel.

Dave Smith
02-06-2009, 19:58
I'll get my coat!

Nellyspania
01-07-2009, 12:31
No hooklength material, just 10lb mono straight through to the hook with a float stop and bead set 8-10 inches back.

I did think of using the rudd tails, just did'nt feel confident finding a hooking point that would hold on the cast?

Not being funny but if you are using 10lb mono for eels then it's only a matter of time before you get bitten off.

I have had them hooked behind the lips and when they are 'sawing' side to side at the net you can sometimes hear the little teeth chafing the line. Which is why I use quicksilver hooklengths for them.