PDA

View Full Version : Can you use carp rod to pike fish?

cliov106
10-05-2009, 20:08
Can you use carp rod to pike fish?

Mr_Bump
10-05-2009, 21:28
Nope.

The carbon will be impregnated in such a way that allows the rod to resonate at a certain frequency.

This frequency will be transmitted down the line and will scare away pike.

The opposite can be said for carp on pike rods.

As soon as this technology is transferable to bream and tench many carpers will be getting a better nights sleep.

pooter
10-05-2009, 22:36
Nope.

The carbon will be impregnated in such a way that allows the rod to resonate at a certain frequency.

This frequency will be transmitted down the line and will scare away pike.

The opposite can be said for carp on pike rods.

As soon as this technology is transferable to bream and tench many carpers will be getting a better nights sleep.

Absolutely, DBH would confirm this.

mr_penetrator
11-05-2009, 04:42
pmsl but not very helpful!

Course you can mate and the only real problem comes with faster taper carp rods that recover quickly on the chuck. That's fine for punching a lead out but can rip the hooks from soft baits.

Pike rods are traditonally through action.

Duck Billed Hedgehog
11-05-2009, 06:32
Absolutely, DBH would confirm this.
100%

cliov106
11-05-2009, 17:16
Im glad. Dont have to go out and spend alot of money now to learn a new type of fishing. Test curve is a good number so i shouldnt have a problem. What would be better a carp rod or beach rod?

bullerboy
11-05-2009, 21:29
yes you can i use carp rods to pike fish

Tim_Kelly
12-05-2009, 16:46
With respect, if you're asking that question at this time of year, I'd imagine you're fairly new to pike fishing. I wouldn't recommend bait fishing in the spring and summer unless you're very used to pike fishing. Pike can swallow baits much quicker in the spring and summer, weed makes bite indication potentially more difficult and with the increased likelihood of deep hooking you need to be able to deal with the fish quickly to avaid stressing them, a problem which is greatly reduced in the winter.

Please wait until autumn/winter before trying bait fishing, there are many pitfalls with pike that don't exist with the traditional summer species. If you want to catch pike in the summer, lures are a better, safer approach.

Sam32
13-05-2009, 09:28
With respect, if you're asking that question at this time of year, I'd imagine you're fairly new to pike fishing. I wouldn't recommend bait fishing in the spring and summer unless you're very used to pike fishing. Pike can swallow baits much quicker in the spring and summer, weed makes bite indication potentially more difficult and with the increased likelihood of deep hooking you need to be able to deal with the fish quickly to avaid stressing them, a problem which is greatly reduced in the winter.

Please wait until autumn/winter before trying bait fishing, there are many pitfalls with pike that don't exist with the traditional summer species. If you want to catch pike in the summer, lures are a better, safer approach.

I'll second that. Not to be rude m8 but if you are asking questions like this it would seem you are inexperienced. No problem with this but you must understand that you can do a lot of damage to a pike compared to other coarse fish. If possible go with someone experienced in piking the first couple of times and try to learn as much as possible. By all means go out and have fun but make sure you are careful at all times.
Be lucky

cliov106
13-05-2009, 11:21
I do agree with all of your comments and much appreciated, ive caught pike before on carp rod but after larger pike and wanted to know if my gear would still b suited. Im going to be using lures any how now due to lake im going to be fishing on. going to have an experienced pike angler with me but always nice to widen my research than just him

Sam32
14-05-2009, 14:33
If youre gna be lure fishing you might have trouble with a 12 ft carp rod. It will still do an alright job but you will be much better off with a shorter rod (8-9ft). Its easier to cast because its lighter and fits in tighter spots. You get a good action with a rod like this too. A carp rod will chuck a large lure out but you will be much better off with a smaller rod designed for the purpose.

B lucky

lyndon
14-05-2009, 15:09
Look at the Nash Jerk bait range. The lighter model would suit you. Match that up with a reasonably priced multiplier you not going to spend much more than 50 for the set up. It will do a better job and you'll enjoy it much more. Using a 12ft carp rod your going to suffer with serious arm strain after a very short time. ALos alot of the laure used for pike wieght alot and might be a struggle for a carp rod.

harveyjp
22-05-2009, 12:35
I have to agree with a lot of what has been said above, its often the case of having the correct rod for the job. With carp, distance casting you may require a powerful 13' rod is great but you would want to use such a rod for stalking in tight swims, perhaps a 6 to 9' rod would be better. So it is with Pike fishing that different applications are best approached with a disignated rod, but sometime it is not realistic or within our budget to have several rods for different occasions, so as anglers sometime we have to compromise and look at more of an all round rod.

To answer the intial question and to put everything into some sort of perspective, my mates 10 year old nephew has just started joining us fishing. Now we fish for Carp, and our style of fishing is not suited for youngsters, it often involves long periods of inactivity, which would lead to boredom on his part. With this in mind we set him off plugging for Pike using a spare 12' 2/3lb carp rod and last weekend on session number 3 he took his fourth consecutive PB, a pike of 28lb(his previous fish were 1 1/2lb, 12lb and 16lb). The fish was truly awsome, the biggest toothy critter ive ever seen on the bank, and to be honest although the rod was not a designated Pike rod in any way, it did not detract from his enjoyment of fishing for and catching what some would consider a fish of a lifetime.

So if its a carp rod youve got spare, dont be put off, get out there and use it, maybe lady luck will be on your side and youll bank a few.

Tight LInes

Harvey

P.S. I should add here that I have recently purchased myself a bait casting reel and using a 9' stalking rod in hope that some of his luck may just rub off onto me, and that I may just catch one of th ebeast swimming aroun din our lake.

niknak8888
24-05-2009, 11:19
its a rod at the end of the day! unless your trying to use a waggler to punch out deads/3oz leads it doesnt really matter. As long as its strong enough with the right tc, which carp rods are, pretty sure youll be able to use it tbh

krisg
26-05-2009, 19:07
yes you can use carp rods for pike fishing

Tim_Kelly
27-05-2009, 06:49
But you can't fish like a carp fisherman for them.

lakerisers
29-05-2009, 13:59
Have been Pike fishing using Grey Prodigys and had not hassle - in fact quite the opposite!!!!!

Tim1
30-05-2009, 13:47
But you can't fish like a carp fisherman for them. unless u want to gut them out of sight or snap on the strike and no kipping 2

lyndon
30-05-2009, 20:19
unless u want to gut them out of sight or snap on the strike and no kipping 2

Def no kipping !!

carslul
21-06-2009, 09:47
i used my carp rods no with no problems for the last 5 years

mr_penetrator
21-06-2009, 10:07
I won't use my carp rods for various reasons. They cost a fortune each to be built and my piking batters blanks, they're too tippy and would rip the hooks from soft baits and finally, my pike rods have full cork (duplon ain't right on pike rods), a lovely through action, are covered in scales and have brought me luck for 20 odd years.

Stardust
21-06-2009, 10:45

Lets see, can a carp rod designed to play a 60lb carp, play a large pike?

YES.

Can same rod cast out a 8oz mackerel 75 yds?

Probably not, but margin piking would be OK.

For my piking I bought a pair of cheap carp rods and lash baits out without a care, and only use my carp rods for carping.

Bazz from Nottingham
23-06-2009, 21:20
I have two 12' Wychwood 3lb TC Extremis Pike Rods, great for deadbaiting. They do have black Duplex foam handles, I do prefer cork on my rods...

glider64
25-06-2009, 08:27
I`ve just bought 2 x chub 12` 3.25lb test carp rods for dead baiting and don`t forsee any problems

rhornegold
25-06-2009, 12:25
I have always used Carp Rods for my Pike fishing and never had a problem ?

Bob

singy
25-06-2009, 12:50
Me too Bob. in fact I go as far as saying my carp rods make better deadbait rods than the pike rods I used to own. Guess it all depends on rod action. Too fast and you may cast off soft baits when going for the big chuck. But then if I'm going for a big chuck I rarely use soft baits :)

And my carp rods are rather progressive.

mr_penetrator
25-06-2009, 13:31
Depends on the pike blank Paul, took me over 3 years of hunting for mine. No carp blank compares imo, closest is the ballista, which mine are but thicker walled.

singy
25-06-2009, 13:51
Nick Buss Autoclaved XTC in 3.25 TC.

I used a spod rod last year to wack a bait 80 yards or so for a 25, and have used the XTCs on Chew Valley from a boat. They do fine, may not be the perfect rod for the job all the time, but they don't hold me back from catching lots of pike. not going to fork out more money when these do the trick.

Using braid exclusively for pike has been the single biggest factor to putting more fish on the bank for me. Set those hooks properly.

mr_penetrator
25-06-2009, 13:56
Yeah well, i used my P-1's from the bank on Chew (I'm common) and almost ripped the tree stump I hooked ot of the ressy bed :D

Being serious, I guess it's whatever suits your style, can't remember when I last dropped a fish on mono.

rhornegold
25-06-2009, 15:03
3lbtc Ballista's

Never let me down, if I wanted to lob a deadbait a long way, I would Winch it out, but as most of My Pike fishing is done within 30 yds of the Bank (most in the margins) they are fine.

I wonder how many modern anglers are deluded into believing they need a different rod for every species ?

Back in the old days, I used a Mk IV Carp rod for just about everything and it's still going strong !!

Bob

Paul_the_Bailiff
25-06-2009, 15:12
Bob, do you oil that MkIV with the same oil you use for you knees. :D

rhornegold
26-06-2009, 07:01
Yes Paul, But I need a little extra for the knees