PDA

View Full Version : thames boat / pike

smnbil
26-04-2009, 07:22
hi guys just got me first boat and intend to target pike on the thames any info or advice would be great (based at ashford middlesex) cheers si

JV44
27-04-2009, 14:00
hi guys just got me first boat and intend to target pike on the thames any info or advice would be great (based at ashford middlesex) cheers si

Si what sort of boat have you got?? if trailored then a big chain/ball hitch lock and wheel clamp type lock are a good idea depending on where you are going to launch as boat trailors are very nickable .
Get to the slipways early as the parking of said boat and trailor can be a problem space wise ,did you get an engine with the boat if so have you seen it running and if not try it in a big water but etc if poss.
Presume you have a life jacket and anchors etc ,a length of chain before the anchor helps it hold without to massive an anchor.
Looks like you will be fishing Sunbury /Chertsey/Egam/Windsor area and i seldom go down that far so cant help with slipways/areas but would suggest you look at joining the Walton on Thames PAC as many of there members fish it and can advise better.
I only bother with the fly rod early for them as a boat in the early season means great trotting sport for silver fish in the weirs and Barbel are a better prospect imo.
Best advice is don`t sit it out all day in one spot as this negates the whole point of a boat ,This guy is a mate of mine who fishes that way and if you send him a e mail he will give you a few pointers
http://www.hechtjaeger.co.uk/
steve.

Paul_the_Bailiff
27-04-2009, 14:12

Nice public slipway at Laleham in Ferry Lane and parking just down the road too.

Neil_D
27-04-2009, 15:53
Have a look at this website to find public slip ways (http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/) on the Thames. Sadly, there aren't that many of them and parking can be tricky.