PDA

View Full Version : cats

grabby
12-03-2009, 15:43
ive managed a mid twenty whilst fishing for carp and been smashed up a few times aswell i have got my rig material sorted (quick silver and cat pro hooks) even got an idea about bait was going to go with big bunch of worms and halibut pellets to start with but is it worth fishing for them yet or is it still too cold when do they start feeding propper any advice appreciated :)

Boxy
12-03-2009, 15:52
Anytime soon fella, keep your eyes peeled, maybe a little early but they are waking up mate. Now would be a good time to start!

daveaylett
12-03-2009, 15:54
John

The cats will wake up in shallower venues a lot quicker.Normally about late March onwards.The deeper lakes obviously take longer to warm up and so start (but usually finish) fishing a bit later.

All depends on the weather temps i'm afraid.

I'd suggest using smelly baits early season. ie. deadbaits, luncheon meats etc and close to the bottom as the cats won't be moving around too much yet

All the best and hope you catch

Dave

grabby
12-03-2009, 16:06
cheers boxy and dave would hook the dead baits through the head or the back or does'nt it matter and would course dead baits out fish sea baits :)

daveaylett
12-03-2009, 17:06
Personally would hair rig the fish baits.

And sea baits i find better as they tend to be oillier and smellier than coarse.(although lamprey and eel sections are top baits)

grabby
12-03-2009, 22:06
Personally would hair rig the fish baits.

And sea baits i find better as they tend to be oillier and smellier than coarse.(although lamprey and eel sections are top baits)

cheers dave i'll be trying that mate thanks

musashi
12-03-2009, 22:41
still too cold to be worth a punt at the mo. would def wait a bit longer in my opinion

grabby
13-03-2009, 07:47
musashi that looks a big fish in your avatar what did it weigh ?

musashi
13-03-2009, 11:24
62lb. caught from yateley couple of years ago

grabby
13-03-2009, 13:22
62lb. caught from yateley couple of years ago

very nice i bet that it gave you a good little battle :)

tonystone
13-03-2009, 16:36
Anyone targetted them on the Thames???

bradley
15-03-2009, 12:06
i want to target 2 cats that are in my lake its only 7-8 acres

both cats have been out and both were caught on zigs

is there any way i can have a good chance of having 1 out??

kapscarper
16-03-2009, 16:29
Bradley my biggest cat is 71 or 72 (cant remember) and that was caught on an 18 foot zig, always worth a go

guybaxendale
17-03-2009, 10:26
i want to target 2 cats that are in my lake its only 7-8 acres

both cats have been out and both were caught on zigs

is there any way i can have a good chance of having 1 out??

Yup - fish livebaits on the surface once it warms up a tad

bradley
17-03-2009, 11:06
guy do you mean right on the surface or a few feet under?

guybaxendale
17-03-2009, 12:11
either - as long your livebaits dont get nailed by jack pike the whole time the cats will find them sooner or later

The luck is being there when they are feeding.

StewartJ
17-03-2009, 12:37
Anyone targetted them on the Thames???

Took the words right out of my mouth there Tony...
Got a mate who's determined to give the cats in the Thames a go this year, but it's more hope than anything else. He's never had one from the river before so he's going on rumour alone I think.:brick:

I know they've been caught from the Thames before but you never really know who to believe. Certainly a worthy catch if anyone does manage one by design...

guybaxendale
17-03-2009, 14:58
I think Mike Lydon knows of some coming out by people fishing for them...

Wonder if anyone has ever tried drifting and clonking ?
Might try it myself one day!

AhVeeta
02-04-2009, 14:14
Fishing St Johns for the cats in a few weeks, haven't fished for them before so am doing my homework on them.

I keep hearing that a light lead should be used because if they feel any tension they get rid of the bait before the hooks took hold? is this true and if so what size Lead is recomended?

and for the rig? 30lb braid with a size 2 hook? hair long enough to take 2/3 big pellets??

i've got 15lb Big Game main line on me reels and a 3lb t/c

sorry if they all seem stupid questions but lituraly have only just started looking into it

MikeLyddon053698
05-04-2009, 17:20
Hello mate,

No such thing as a stupid question, the only stupid question is the one that doesnt get asked.

As for leads, I normally fish the same as I would for carp, a 3 or 4oz lead on a running set up. If a cat is feeding, it is either eating or not eating, they dont fiddle around with it like a carp, if they want it, they will have it pretty much regardless. I have always found I get a better hook hold with a heavy lead with them.

The rig sounds fine, though what braid are you using, I would recommend using something like Quicksilver or any similar kevlar braids for the hookling, the mouthpads on cats are very abrasive and can make short work of a lot of normal hooklinks.
Also, what size fish are you fishing for, 15lb BG should be ok, but they fight a hell of a lot harder than carp, so definitely wouldnt want to drop below that.

They other thing to make sure of, is all your other bits and bobs suitable, how big is your net/unhooking mat? A 40lb cat will be over 5ft long, and you need to make sure you have all the gear to land it.

Hope this helps mate, if you need any more info, just ask :)

MikeLyddon053698
05-04-2009, 17:23
I think Mike Lydon knows of some coming out by people fishing for them...

Wonder if anyone has ever tried drifting and clonking ?
Might try it myself one day!

Indeed, I know of three BIG ones that came out last year around the Weybridge/Walton area. Two around the high 80/low 90lb region, and one of 113lb!!
From what I have heard though, those fish do move up and down, so could be anywhere in a 3 or 4 mile stretch of water.

guybaxendale
06-04-2009, 08:49
Indeed, I know of three BIG ones that came out last year around the Weybridge/Walton area. Two around the high 80/low 90lb region, and one of 113lb!!
From what I have heard though, those fish do move up and down, so could be anywhere in a 3 or 4 mile stretch of water.

Mike - Do you know if they came out on livebaits?

MikeLyddon053698
06-04-2009, 20:47
From what I had heard, the biggie came out on a 3lb carp livey :eek: :eek: god knows where they got that from, dont think I really want to know either :suspect:

guybaxendale
07-04-2009, 08:28
From what I had heard, the biggie came out on a 3lb carp livey :eek: :eek: god knows where they got that from, dont think I really want to know either :suspect:

Nice!!

AhVeeta
07-04-2009, 08:54
Thanks for the info Mark :thumbs: i know there's cats in there at 70lb+ so i'll have to be carefull playing them in on 15 line ( thats if i'm lucky enough to catch one, lol ). My net should be ok but yeah didn't think about my unhooking mat, its a pretty big one but yeah its not 5 foot long!!! and weigh sling aswell, pretty big but not long enough to weigh a cat!! looks like i'll be poppin over to the carp cabin later to spend some money!!!
A running set up as i thought then i'll just stick to using a 3oz lead. For the braid I was gonna get some 30lb merlin, i'll have a look for Quicksilver when i pop over the cabin later

guybaxendale
07-04-2009, 11:31
If you want to spend the money on getting properly kitted out for cats then i would have a look at the shop on the CCG website: catfishconservationgroup.com/

Also - I presume you are not allowed to livebait on St Johns? That would be the best way of singling out the cats if it was allowed. If not i would go in with a squid over pellet approach or a liver & pellet approach.

guybaxendale
07-04-2009, 11:32
Also 30lb merlin is no good fot cats - look at quiksilver or Catlink

H_man
07-04-2009, 11:44
Try Atomic's jelly wire in either 25lb or 35lb, had a fair few cats on it and has never let me down. I didnt get on with catlink or quicksilver, far too ropey for my liking.

AhVeeta
07-04-2009, 12:19
Ok cheers for that fellers, i don't think u can live bait there no but i'll check.
I'll have a look at that website then and c what they got, apart from that i'll pop to my local tackle shop and ask what hooklink they suggest as there pretty good over there