PDA

View Full Version : Thames flood relief (Jubilee)

phil21turbo
02-03-2009, 21:13
Does anyone have any info on fishing the Jubilee between Maidenhead & Windsor. fish, sizes, pics etc ?

Thanks in advance ;)

exiledbarbelman
03-03-2009, 03:11
I never fished this channel before I moved to across the pond. Is it usually flowing, or only when the Thames is up?
Like phil21turbo I wonder about species, any Barbel?

Phil Adams
03-03-2009, 08:56
I have never had a really good look at it, but from what I've seen it looks to be sluggish and much more carpy than barbel.

upperoilcan
03-03-2009, 11:07
as phil says nearly all the time it's sluggish,ive never seen any fish showing let alone anyone fishing for them,however there are some purpous built swims right by the car park,but which club has them is anyone's guess.........

guybaxendale
03-03-2009, 11:15
http://www.intertypeas.co.uk/Waters.htm

willbeenie
03-03-2009, 16:17
i heard that some parts of it had been stocked with grass carp.

phil21turbo
03-03-2009, 21:27
Thanks for the link to Intertype guybaxendale.

Heres the match report for 19th October 2008 - note the Brown trout!

Thames Cup (Round 2) - Jubilee River - 19th October

The first club match held on the Jubilee River was attended by 10 anglers who probably hope it might be the last with just 5 getting a bite and catching fish.

1st - Dave Aubrey - 4lb - made up of Roach and Dace caught on the Pole and Squatt and Topper and Pinkie.

2nd - Clive Williams - 1lb 4oz - of small Dace and Bleak caught on the Pole and Maggot.

3rd - Barry Parker - 2oz of small Dace and Bleak.

4th - Ramsey King - 1oz - with a small Roach and the fry of some other species.

The unluckiest person in the match was Dennis Critcher who on his Feeder fished Worm thought he had caught a decent sized Perch or Chub only to be very disappointed when a beautifully conditioned Brown Trout of about 2 1/2 pound leapt from the water. The Trout was landed and returned unharmed.

SamColes
03-03-2009, 21:37
Walked and cycled it lots and lots during last year's close season on warm days to witness not much! 'Cept lots of perch. I did see three dead carp collected in the raft above Marsh Lane Weir, high doubles perhaps bigger but they were swollen so hard to tell. Also spoke to people catching bream which apparently go to quite large because the rumour is they do the amphibious trick from Taplow pit.

The polskis spinning always look like they have a good weight in their rucksack...

phil21turbo
03-03-2009, 21:47
Walked and cycled it lots and lots during last year's close season on warm days to witness not much! 'Cept lots of perch. I did see three dead carp collected in the raft above Marsh Lane Weir, high doubles perhaps bigger but they were swollen so hard to tell. Also spoke to people catching bream which apparently go to quite large because the rumour is they do the amphibious trick from Taplow pit.

The polskis spinning always look like they have a good weight in their rucksack...

The stretch around taplow pit, always looks very fishy, and I've seen a few carp anglers parked up there for the night.

When you got so much good water to fish elsewhere, you just wonder if its worth wasting the day on the jubilee in case you blank.

I did find on the Intertype site in the gallery, a pic of a 15lb pike.

As for the poles, thats nothing new. When we were kids (20yrs ago), I remember an old polish boy at Eton Wick, would turn up on his bike, and offer us 20p for a perch! if you had 5 perch in your keep-net, that was a portion of chips from the local chippy!! You can imagine 3 schemeing 13 yr olds. We were going to dredge the Thames, and sell the Perch to pay for cigarettes and new fishing tackle :D

SamColes
03-03-2009, 22:17
When you got so much good water to fish elsewhere, you just wonder if its worth wasting the day on the jubilee in case you blank.

Exactly my problem. I loved the idea of catching a carp from the Jubilee but all I saw were dead'uns and I was down there practically every other day during the close season watching them collect up!

SamColes
03-03-2009, 22:19
Plus I always suspected that "So and so had <<list of big carp>> out the Jubilee" that I've read elsewhere is most likely the bottom weir where it connects back to the Thames. If I'd seen just one fish during my walks and cycle rides I would've given it more time.

lawman
03-03-2009, 22:20
It really is a purpose built fishery for everything, if the fish are there to catch.
Great for matches, perfect for bivvying up.

As stated above, it would take a brave man to put in a load of sessions in search of the carps in the middle sections....

Ian

phil21turbo
03-03-2009, 22:44
It really is a purpose built fishery for everything, if the fish are there to catch.
Great for matches, perfect for bivvying up.

As stated above, it would take a brave man to put in a load of sessions in search of the carps in the middle sections....

Ian

I would imagine the bottom is pretty featureless too.

I seem to remember the planners of the jubilee painting a vision of National matches along the Jubillee, just like a scene from Holme Pierrepoint in Notts.

If you head West on the M4, you cross the jubilee. To your left you can see what looks like a small grass Island near the bank. Looks fishy.... Might take a look over the coming weeks.

Off topic slightly, My sons school friend reckons he has seen some large Carp in the Eton Rowing Trench - If so, can't wait for the river to flood :norty:

oscardog
04-03-2009, 09:17
off thread. I regularly run around the rowing lake. Seen loads of cormarants with decent sized silver fish in their mouths. Haven't seen an carp yet. I will keep my eyes open for them during the spring/simmer.

Rob

SamColes
04-03-2009, 18:48
If you head West on the M4, you cross the jubilee. To your left you can see what looks like a small grass Island near the bank. Looks fishy.... Might take a look over the coming weeks.

Enjoy looking at it! You get some rareish birds breeding on that island and sometimes hundreds of geese. But as for fish! :nono2:

quinny
04-03-2009, 19:27
This is my backyard so what limited knowledge I will pass on....

Somebody mentioned grass carp, I believe these were stocked into the rowing trench. There are def biggish fish in there by now. There are gazzilions of perch too. One day I threw in a handfull of maggots up where the floating stages are (opposite end too the club house) the water immeadeitly swarmed with dozens of perch. Trouble is you aint alowed to fish it (and is obviously well patrolled), and there are so many bouys that if you did poach it and hooked into a big grassie you would proberbly end up round a piece of rope.

The JR I believe was stocked by the EA as there was talk of holding the World Championships there. Not sure if that was all talk but there are def fish in there. Trouble is in the warmer weather most sections of it resemble a gloopy swamp. There are a few sections which have weirs, these would proberbly be best. There are always loads of fish eating water birds around and somebody told me there are loads of silver fish in there, so this makes sense. Again the only hassle of fishing right where ther weirs are is you have very steep, almost impossible banks to fish from. Of course there are always loads of kids down there in summer, getting drunk and causing mayhem and loads of dog walkers too. So I can't be bothered with it.

Just to whet your appetite there are 2 incidents of big fish I have seen in relation to the Jubilee River. One was a group of very big carp I spotted just after spawning and another was the time my mate hooked and landed a 5lb plus eel, which I presume had become land locked. I reckon there are some very big eels to have in there. Like I said what with all the numptys down there and the general public too and froing I can't be bothered with it. But the place is def not empty of fish.

phil21turbo
04-03-2009, 22:33
Enjoy looking at it! You get some rareish birds breeding on that island and sometimes hundreds of geese. But as for fish! :nono2:

Does that mean No fishing aloud due to the rare breeds, or there just aint no fish there ?

This is my backyard so what limited knowledge I will pass on....

Somebody mentioned grass carp, I believe these were stocked into the rowing trench. There are def biggish fish in there by now. There are gazzilions of perch too. One day I threw in a handfull of maggots up where the floating stages are (opposite end too the club house) the water immeadeitly swarmed with dozens of perch. Trouble is you aint alowed to fish it (and is obviously well patrolled), and there are so many bouys that if you did poach it and hooked into a big grassie you would proberbly end up round a piece of rope.

The JR I believe was stocked by the EA as there was talk of holding the World Championships there. Not sure if that was all talk but there are def fish in there. Trouble is in the warmer weather most sections of it resemble a gloopy swamp. There are a few sections which have weirs, these would proberbly be best. There are always loads of fish eating water birds around and somebody told me there are loads of silver fish in there, so this makes sense. Again the only hassle of fishing right where ther weirs are is you have very steep, almost impossible banks to fish from. Of course there are always loads of kids down there in summer, getting drunk and causing mayhem and loads of dog walkers too. So I can't be bothered with it.

Just to whet your appetite there are 2 incidents of big fish I have seen in relation to the Jubilee River. One was a group of very big carp I spotted just after spawning and another was the time my mate hooked and landed a 5lb plus eel, which I presume had become land locked. I reckon there are some very big eels to have in there. Like I said what with all the numptys down there and the general public too and froing I can't be bothered with it. But the place is def not empty of fish.

Thanks Quinny. All sounds positive, so will take a gander at the JR's weir sections ;)

As for the Rowing lake, will do some delving and see if I can get a days fishing over there when the weather warms up a little :)

SamColes
05-03-2009, 00:02
No you can fish it, there's tons of small perch about that section (they chase the fry in the margins at dusk) I fished there, but using larger baits (I was sat on the end of the island eating a sandwich when the water erupted - definitely not a bird so I went and fished it). My mate reckons the fish were stocked in at the top weir so thinking about it I would've rather been fishing above marsh lane, I did another night just above it as I'd seen people catching bream there, I blanked again but I think that was something to do with my mates coming on their "epic journey" to see me after ingesting little bits of cardboard....

You know the hassle really isn't much if anything at all as the pathway is a good distance from the river itself.

The cheapest way to get the ticket for the Jubilee is to join Cookham Club which you can get a ticket for from Maidenhead Bait and Tackle, ~20. Which if you're a local you'll appreciate a lot the other stretches it gives you too!

phil21turbo
05-03-2009, 00:18
No you can fish it, there's tons of small perch about that section (they chase the fry in the margins at dusk) I fished there, but using larger baits (I was sat on the end of the island eating a sandwich when the water erupted - definitely not a bird so I went and fished it). My mate reckons the fish were stocked in at the top weir so thinking about it I would've rather been fishing above marsh lane, I did another night just above it as I'd seen people catching bream there, I blanked again but I think that was something to do with my mates coming on their "epic journey" to see me after ingesting little bits of cardboard....

You know the hassle really isn't much if anything at all as the pathway is a good distance from the river itself.

The cheapest way to get the ticket for the Jubilee is to join Cookham Club which you can get a ticket for from Maidenhead Bait and Tackle, ~20. Which if you're a local you'll appreciate a lot the other stretches it gives you too!

thanks Sam,

Everytime I drive West along the M4, I will be looking out for you eating your sandwiches :thumbs:

SamColes
05-03-2009, 02:50
There are definitely plenty of bream in the top section, I've seen people catching them. I was however on some idea to catch a carp locally from a river. For that matter I ended up spending the season catching many, many, many bream, the odd good chub and one barbel from the Thames. Said mate I mentioned before is my mate's Dad, thinking about it I believe he told me he actually saw the stocking at the top weir. We were excitedly discussing the 'unknown jubilee' a lot over the closed season. He hadn't been fishing for years and was going to join me chasing them, but trouble with his business meant he couldn't afford to recommit his mind and thoughts back to fishing... I only did three nights total but blanking even having no bream that I knew people were catching, when I was fishing based upon seeing dead carp made me decide to put my efforts elsewhere.

I might be tempted for a few sessions along the top section this coming season again, it is certainly peaceful down there if anyone fancies joining me get in touch perhaps, I don't know anyone else who's stupid enough to join me fishing for non-existant fish! They're certainly there, just don't know how many, I've seen the dead ones... unless that was all of them! But on a more serious note, three (I suspect) dieing for spawning should mean there's a reasonable number? Quinny if you're happy to, could you perhaps let me know which section you saw the carp grouping for spawning in? Don't worry if not, I never saw sod all except perch perch perch and spent many days and hours up and down last closed season!

SamColes
05-03-2009, 03:06
http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/3812

phil21turbo
05-03-2009, 13:53
http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/3812

Useful info ;)

That link is from Dec 05. just over 3 years ago. So I would expect them roach to be 2lb now - well lets hope so. :)

I defintely going to check out the upper section before close season starts.

Nice one Sam :thumbs:

victory
05-03-2009, 15:02
Interesting comments guys.

The coarse fish seam to be coming along well when I'm watching the pleasure anglings. There was one big bream hall by intertypes head bailiff last year , although somebody took a shoot at him with an airrifle the night before while he was baiting up I think.

on the barbel side I have not sean any.

On the carp side , I to saw a few dead ones about last year but I also saw some alive ones.Many down from Marsh lane.

Gave up in the end last year due to all the **** in the water.

They are there and catchable. There is even a small koy of about 10lbs on one of the streaches. Seen that one two years in a row.

quinny
05-03-2009, 15:58
I'm sorry but I can't say where I spied the carp. A few other chaps know about it and it would cause mayhem for them.

Are people confused between the Jubilee River and the Eton rowing trench? I am sure that fishing wasn't allowed in the rowing trench. Perhaps I am wrong. If so it would be worth a dangle.

billynobites
05-03-2009, 16:31
Fished it a few times. Had a fair number of roach, dace and chublets and a few small perch. Watched a young lad spinning for 10 minutes when out for a walk with the family, he caught a perch that was over 2Lb. Tried the same tactics myself but only ever had a few small jacks. Also fished up Marsh lane way were my mate had an eel of 3 1/2Lb. Spotted a couple of decent sized fish roll as it was going dark but could not positively identify them. Like quinny this is local to me but apart from the bream haul I have heard of very little coming out of any size.